Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Sony Takes Out A $698 Million Dollar Loan?

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Sony Takes Out A $698 Million Dollar Loan?

Postby ssj100matt » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:25 pm

got this off of QJ.net

Bloomberg is reporting that Sony Corp. recently stated that it has taken out an 80 billion yen ($698 million) syndicated loan last week, its first bank borrowing in 10 years, in order to diversify funding sources.

If you're a gamer the first things that probably come to your mind are the high costs of producing the PS3, in particular the more expensive components such as the RSX graphics processing unit, the CELL processor and the next generation optical disc drive, Blu-Ray. You might also think of Friday's order by Japanese tax authorities that Sony must pay $234 million dollars in additional taxes due to incorrectly filed past papers. Or maybe you're thinking far enough back to Sony's lost law suit to Immersion Technologies, which dictated that they owed the company upwards of $90 million dollars in past royalties. Whatever the case, it's likely that you're a little nervous if you're a Sony fan, and possibly arm you with some pretty hefty mudslinging ammo if you like your gaming any other way.

Truth of the matter is that Sony is currently a company undergoing enormous changes, they've got a lot more than just the PS3 riding on the success of both Blu-Ray and CELL, and they're not in the most financially healthy position they've ever been. Sony's gaming division has historically been what's clawed it out of the hole, and for the first time in a long while, (due in no small part to the high cost of PS3 production) the division isn't doing particularly well... for the moment.

As has been mentioned and as just about everyone knows, the PS3 is a huge gamble for Sony, but if Sony's corporate restructuring and repositioning plays out the way it should, things will be just fine for the electronics giant. Whatever the case, it's unlikely that this loan will have much impact on the immediate gaming landscape.

I agree with the author of this... The PS3 is a huge gamble for Sony but i seriously don’t think that this loan will be its downfall... Sony needs to shell out the $324 mill for tax penalties and the Immersion lawsuit so im assuming that’s what the large part of the loan is for... The other part im hoping they use wisely... I seriously doubt this would mean a $100 price cut off the PS3 but who knows (which would be a smart thing to do)... All i know is that when the TGS rolls around something better happen or i probally wont get one... At least not on release date...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter