Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Is WOW really worth it?

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Is WOW really worth it?

Postby pooface » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:08 pm

I was thinking about getting WOW, but I was wondering iif it really is worth $180 a year for it? I also wanted to know how it is compared to Guild Wars, which I bought and got bored of after I hit level 10. And one more thing, If I have a guest pass account, can I upgrade to the full game without buying a retail copy of the game?
pooface
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Ninst » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Leveling from 1-60 the game is very nice. Theres lots of stuff to do and plenty of quests and such to hold your attention. I enjoyed the game a lot leveling up, it was fun and a good time. But then when you get to level 60 the game changes.

There are a few instances (essentially the games take on a dungeon) that you can do from about 57-60. You'll need to go to these a few times to get the good gear, though you may be unlucky with iitems drops and need to go a lot. After a while these will get old and the other thing to do is go to the large raiding instances. These can be really fun (some more than others) but the problem with them is that unless you are in a guild (or have a way into one) large enough to go to these, you're basically locked out from them.

You can level up multiple characters as well, that stretches out the game life if you can't get into the raid instances. Theres also pvp which adds a bit more challenge to some parts of the game. I know some people that play the game more the pvp than anything else.

As for the trial accounts, they do put some limits on them. I believe you are capped to level 20, cannot trade with other players, use the auction house, or talk in the general chat channel. These are there so farmers and whatnot don't abuse trial accounts. You do have to buy a boxed copy to upgrade from the trial accounts, and when you do upgrade it the restrictions should go away.

I played the game for quite a while and leveled up several characters, but a while a go it got to the point where it was not fun anymore, so I'm done with it. The best thing to do would be play around with a trial, and see how you like it. Be aware once you get to 60 the general focus of the game does change and is typically much less friendly to a casual player than it was leveling. Its not as different from other online rpgs as its often praised to be.
I don't post.
Ninst
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Console Gaming Chatter