Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Year-end Predictions for 2006

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Year-end Predictions for 2006

Postby robbway » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:12 am

We're approaching that time again when the tabloid psychics will predict alien abduction for the English PM and the President of the USA is actually a terribly malfunctioning robot due to susceptibility to static electricity. So I'm asking for Console Gaming-related predictions for 2006. Make realistic, unrealistic, wishful, and just downright funny predictions! Please remember this is for fun and don't take anything in this thread as fact. I'll start off with one I think will happen and one "joke" prediction:

Possible (and wishful)
XBox Live Gold will support podcast subscription, playing, and publishing! The live headset and the hard drive will be required to record and publish a podcast. Just so MS won't loose valuable advertising space, they will tack on a commercial at the front, and every 20 minute interval. Maximum show length will most likely be 60 minutes. They'll probably call it Xboxcasting to avoid a nod to Apple.

Silly:
Nokia will introduce a new idea in phone-gaming with a new Burrito-shaped handheld phone with "end-talkin'"
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

My Predictions

Postby ZaBlanc » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:50 am

Here's an assortment of COMPLETELY SERIOUS 2006 predictions.

* Microsoft will win the Japanese console wars.
* Blizzard will file for bankruptcy due to huge losses on WoW.
* The Nintendo Revolution will launch with a game entitled "Couch Potato," in which you control a lazy TV watcher who must defend the world against alients using his remote control -- the control scheme will earn a 10 on Gamespot.

...OK, OK, but here's a real dream of a prediction...

* The Nintendo DS will launch a new game design that connects the two screens, has a physical rather than horizontal layout, doubles the battery life, and now supports UMD movies just to stick it to Sony! ;-)
ZaBlanc
New Listener
New Listener

Re: My Predictions

Postby robbway » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:59 am

ZaBlanc wrote:Here's an assortment of COMPLETELY SERIOUS 2006 predictions.

Very funny! The Nintendo DS concept is possible, and I'd love to see it happen with a retractable hinge. The separation of the two screens just doesn't quite work in the games I have, as they mostly ignore the gap. I'm going to put a deposit on Couch Potato as soon as I can get off my ass and do something. :D
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

To Gap or not to Gap?

Postby ZaBlanc » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 am

The separation of the two screens just doesn't quite work in the games I have, as they mostly ignore the gap.

The interesting thing I've seen is that in some games the gap is honored. Notice the star in Mario 64 when it rises up in the beginning. And in Nintendogs, they seem to account for the empty space.

So, the big question is, if the screens eventually merge, or ar at least move far closer together...which just seems obvious...how will the games determine if they need to account for the gap or not? In other words, does the API take this into account automatically?

It seems puzzling to me. And for some games, is the 3/4 inch gap a *specific* requirement? Hmmm.
ZaBlanc
New Listener
New Listener

Postby sephiroth1215 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:13 am

Yeah I don't think a closer screen will work out since that would make the original models very hard to play on if the games will adjust to the new screens.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkSakura » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:09 pm

If they did that, we'd just have a new version of the Atari Lynx...with folding action!
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Non-DS

Postby robbway » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:45 pm

Yes, it starts to violate the whole concept of "Dual Screen." Maybe the point is that some games use the two screens as if they were one, and others use the screens for distinctly different reasons.

While I'm at it, I'm going to predict a PStwo design in the same shape and size as the PSone, once the PS3 is established. However, that may be in 2007.

We need more predictions! Gaming Steve is predicting another video game crash. Although, I think it will be a recession. Commercially-developed games are mostly sequels and derivative work that cost too much. The Xbox 360 alone has paved the way for the popularity of independent games on home consoles. I think 2006 will harken in a new age of single-programmer projects. Will we have a new game craze like Tetris?
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby JustiNIC » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:18 am

Advent Children will be pushed back to 2007, but for good reason: It will be a playable game on PS3!

Revolution will wipe out Microsoft and Sony in the console war, and all will be right with the world once again.

There will be at least twelve games with "Mario" in the title.

PSP redesign, which Sony will undoubtedly charge way too much money for. They don't want it to be "easily accessible," they want people to get second jobs to afford it.

I'll think of more later.
JustiNIC
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:46 pm

JustiNIC wrote:There will be at least twelve games with "Mario" in the title.
Besides existing sports title sequels, Mario and gang will go surfing, curling, wrestling, into space, and hang-gliding.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Console Gaming Chatter