Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

My word on "Grandma's Boy"

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

My word on "Grandma's Boy"

Postby ssj100matt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 am

Sorry if this is long....

I got a chance to see Grandma's boy last Thursday over on the ASU (arizona State) campus.... The turnout for the movie was extremely lighter than what i expected it to be... About 25 including me and my brother were waiting to get into this movie... I got to the theater a little early (6pm and the showing was at 7pm) and when i showed up everyone was being handed out 2 things... One was a copy of the demo "Need For Speed Most Wanted" for PS2 and a letter to each of us about restrictions in the theater... I will get back to the game in a moment but what the letter to us said was that we could not bring cell phones, gameboys, psps, cameras, Ipods, Mp3 players, beepers, pagers ect for security reasons and to "ensure that the film will not pirated"... Fortunately for me i had a Psp along with my cellphone so i had to run back to my car and drop off both... It was ridiculous but it was well worth it later... Half an hour later the theater opened up and were led to the theater where we were greeted by 2 men with metal detector wands... They searched everyone going into the theater... Anyone who was found with a cellphone or any of the items listed above was ordered to leave the theater and not to return... Lucky for me i already left my stuff in the car before i came in... To my knowledge only 1 guy was asked to leave because he had a camera phone with him and was unable to drop it off at his car since he took public transport... He left quitely but i felt bad for him... Now getting back to the free game we each recieved, apparently EA was sponsering the event and was giving away free demo copys of games... When we walked into the theater after being "violated" the theater was empty execept for a large group of people centered in the middle of the theater with a black rope outlined around them... Those people were the viewing press come to either review the movie or the event... Also in the theater that was setup on the screen was "Need for Speed Most Wanted" with 2 guys playing it already.... Apparently on our tickets/invitations EA was sponsering the event and was to showcase and to make playable all of EA's new releases... Now before i entered the theater i knew about this and i wasent really to intrested in it... Two guys (twins) stood behind me on line asked me if i was here for the movie or the gaming... I told them the movie and they proceeded to talk about Xbox, Xbox 360 and several other Xbox related issues that i completely ignored since i did not have an Xbox... Anyways in the theater they had 2 guys playing "NFS Most Wanted" on the big screen with the use of a projector... They were using an Xbox to power the game but for some reason everything broke on the system during gameplay... First the wireless Controlers went out thus resorting to the players to only drive in reverse... Then the system went out and then after that the disk skipped like crazy on the music... After this happend the 2 twins that i talked to right away left the theater in a show of dismay... Earlier they hoped to play Xbox360 and or Madden 06 in the theater but they were wrong... When the movie finally started we were joined by theater security who stood along the walls with Night vison goggles watching us so we dont pull out a camera in hopes of trying to pirate the movie...

Getting to the movie now... The story is about a 35 year old Video game designer (played by Allen Covert) who was vacated from his apartment by his landlord (played by Rob Schneider) because his roomate spent all the rent money that was given to him was used to pay for Asian hookers which he cried was a "just cause"... He was then forced to live with his grandmother (played by Linda Cardellini) and her 2 friends. The movie mostly centers around Coverts character trying to complete his company's (owner played by Kevin Nealon) major release game of the year... The game itself was very similar to Mortal Kombat might i add... The company is mostly comprised as 18-35 year old nerds who are all diehard gamers (which can be seen by the amount of "decrative flair" around the office)... One of the most interesting parts in the movie were scenes in the lounge room of the office that was mostly a huge gaming room with a few vending machines... They constantly have bets and challenges against one another on many diffrent games, one of which was DDR Ultra Mix 3, which had its own private segmant... The showed off UM3 as a arcade machine (basically a tall EB games like display with an Xbox in it and a hard metal pad) 2 guys had a competition which resulted in them just flailing around as they danced to the songs... When you see the movie (Jan 16th) keep watch at this segment because they show off a serious error in the game... As these two guys are playing they are obviously hitting the wrong arrows that are displayed on the game but somehow they manage to land them and get perfects... I am sure of this because a few other people saw this as well afterwards... The movie itself was great... It was a typical college kid stoner type movie... The film is rated R and from what i hear will be strongly inforced once it comes out on January 16th... From what i saw it should be but its still a very funny movie... The movie got a little rediculous at times and had many plot holes and errors in the movie but was still very enjoyable... As a person in the film industry i have to grade this movie a bit harshly but most of the people in the theater felt it was a 3-4 star movie... I gave it a 2 1/2 stars (out of 4)... Mostly because of the errors in the movie... But of course it is meant to be a fun movie (which it is) not a cinematic masterpiece... If i wasent such a harsh critic i would say 3 1/2 stars... So when this movie does come out January 16th you should deffinatly see it... It will put you in a good mood and will have you laughing pretty hard... Since i wasent able to give my review on it this past Sunday (12/11) i will try to call in on skype later to talk about it
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Sakurina » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 pm

More.
Line.
Breaks.
Please.
KTHXBAI.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MelBofRTF » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:39 pm

Getting to the movie now... The story is about a 35 year old Video game designer

Ermm, technically he was QA (a game tester). The whole design thing was a side project of his.

Saw the movie a few weeks ago as well @ G.A.M.E.
MelBofRTF
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Console Gaming Chatter