Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Xbox360 Launch Stories

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Xbox360 Launch Stories

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:13 am

I thought it would be neat to have a few simple questions for everyone to answer, and then add any unusual experiences as comments.

Did you preorder?
Where?
Did you get your exact preorder?
What is your most anticipated game for the system?

The Launch Day Experience/Comments:

And here are my responses
Did you preorder? Yes
Where? EB Games
Did you get your exact preorder? No. I didn't get an Xbox360, but I got everything else.
What is your most anticipated game for the system? Kameo

The Launch Day Experience/Comments:
I'm not all that upset for not gettting the system. It's anticipated in 1-2 weeks. The reason I'm not upset is that I didn't preorder early enough. Those poor folk who got callbacks that they'll have to wait are royally screwed. Overall, I blame an over-ambitious release schedule from Microsoft. It makes the retailers look really bad, but it's not their fault.

Core systems are a colossal waste of money, too.

Note to all future game and hardware distributors: If its not ready, don't force it. Delay it and do it right.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 am

I wouldn't say "yes" to getting your preorder if you didn't even get the system. The rest of the crap(your games and whatever else) any schmuck could go pick up in the store for a week or 2 now. Basically, you've been hosed.

I plan on going to Wal-Mart after I get off of work today to see if there are any systems there. If so, ebay is my next stop. I'm not gonna buy myself a 360 for a year or 2.

[edit]I should also note, I didn't get my regular XBox until last Christmas.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Hosed

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am

Good luck! My local Super Walmart got 4 systems. 4! They were sold out at midnight. Target is also sold out. I think that the shortage is worse than anticipated, because the EB got less than it was told. They substituted two Core (aka useless) systems for two ultimate (aka minimum workable system).

My advice is to buy the Xbox360 if you can. If you can get a Core+HD, you should be able to sell it for bunches on Ebay. Happy hunting!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:54 am

Welp I'm standing by what I said on the earlier podcast and I did not fight the crowds today for the system. However, I will re-consider in a couple weeks if the system becomes more available which I have a feeling will happen... It also depends though simply on how much money I have, LOL. I've actually been spending my money on other stuff :P

I think this "shortage" will only last a couple weeks... Microsoft would be dumb dumb dumb to release this thing for the christmas rush only to not have enough systems. Ideally they should have started this whole process 2 weeks sooner and magically had enough consoles out on the market by Black Friday, lol.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 am

My local Wal-Mart isn't even 24hrs. It's actually the smallest Supercenter in the nation at that. I need deoderant anyway so the trip won't be wasted if the 360's are out.

skie, that's the best thing I've heard of, that would've been a great marketing trick.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

I'm Staying In on Friday

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:56 am

skie wrote:I think this "shortage" will only last a couple weeks... Microsoft would be dumb dumb dumb to release this thing for the christmas rush only to not have enough systems. Ideally they should have started this whole process 2 weeks sooner and magically had enough consoles out on the market by Black Friday, lol.

I think you're right. I think it would have been better to just delay the US release until December to prevent customer dissatisfaction, but that was part of the reason the DS fizzled on launch day--people were simply out of cash. This season is the best chance to sell the systems. Once Christmas has passed, only the game freaks (aka us) will still be interested.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:56 pm

No luck for a 360 for me. My local Wal-Mart said they only got 8 in. They didn't say how many of each the $300 and $400 they were, I'd guess half and half though. Oh well, so much for a few extra dollars.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:29 pm

I plan on picking up my Toys r' us reserve in about an hour. I hope nothing happened because I have to go a bit far to get it. But I expect no problems since they did preorders very late and I'm sure they knew exactly how many they were getting.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:34 pm

As long as you get what you preorder/paid for. These places that push preorders without being able to fill them is total BS. I'd cancel my preorder if they were unable to fill it, that's for damn sure. I've cancelled preorders for less then that, at least Gamestop lets you.
Last edited by lordkaosu on Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Ok I got mine from TRU and plan to return the games I was forced to get. I'm sure about Kameo though, it seems ok but I guess I'll just wait for DOA. I have yet to even turn it on because I don't have much space in my room and I have a very complicated setup. I just moved everything around to make room for it and have a place for the wires. I don't think I'll put in the effort right now to take out the TV to use the HD, for now it will be in the old Dreamcast spot in the switch box (irony). I'm actually really exctied to use it just for the features and not the games. But that power cord truely is MASSIVE!!!!!! For now I might play some DDR and Guity Gear Isuka (just got it for $10 new in TRU!!!) but I'll have plenty of time since I have a tradition of playing games all day long on thanksgiving. I will create a new topic tomorrow to give updates and reviews of the 360 so far.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Lucky Me!

Postby robbway » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

As luck would have it, a friend allowed me to pick up the system he pre-ordered. So I got my console after all. That meant a late night.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:42 pm

There was a story in the local paper today. Took the 360 6 minutes to sell out(of all 8 of their systems) here. Guess there was some people that camped out. I'm not even sure if this Wal-Mart stayed open late for the launch or not though, they normally are closed from midnight to 6am(or maybe 8, I'm not sure). So much for thinking the hype wouldn't reach this small town, boy was I wrong.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Sakurina » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:18 pm

I'm not going to buy any consoles of the next-generation, they all look pretty pathetic so far... However I do know where you can find some 360s easily.

Canada's very own Northwest Territories and Nunavut. Stores there have been allocated 360s (not many, but nonetheless) and I'm pretty sure that the Inuit up north don't care about it. They'd much rather suck on caribou eyes (pretty awesome if you get the experience) than stick around a department store to get a console they can't play with.

And finally, something awesome:

Overall, I blame

CAN'T FORGIIIIVE AND FORGEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:08 pm

What are you waiting for, go buy those and throw them on ebay. With the worse then predicted shortage, you can't go wrong. You could pay for your own system alone by simply selling one.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Sakurina » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:56 pm

lordkaosu wrote:What are you waiting for, go buy those and throw them on ebay. With the worse then predicted shortage, you can't go wrong. You could pay for your own system alone by simply selling one.

Uh, too far away, I don't own a car, and my parents wouldn't get why I'd do this. :/
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Console Gaming Chatter