Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

WTF microsoft what's with the backwards compatibility list?

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

WTF microsoft what's with the backwards compatibility list?

Postby sephiroth1215 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:01 pm

I admit that I was really surprised when I heard that there will be 200 games on the list and jumped over to see. First of all I think if I paid for a download already I should not have to pay again, they can obviously find some way around this but why do that when they can make more cash.

I'm sure most of you noticed that there was no DDR at all on the list. According to MS it's suppose to be all best selling games.......OK ultramix 1 became a platnium hit so why isn't that there? Oh I'm sorry we have to make room for awesome games that I'm sure were huge hits like Yourself! fitness, BMX XXX, and Barbie Horse Adventures Wild Horse Rescue (no joke). I think I heard a lie. I mean Pump it up made it in there yet there's not even DOA Ultimate. Yeah I know more games will be added but come on, look at that list.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:06 pm

I really think backwards compatiblity should just be left out of the 360, it's obvious it's going to be harder to work in then it's worth. It's a nice feature, but not necessary by any means. If it works out ok just to work it in like the PS2, good. But if they have to go to the extent of emulating to old hardware and hassle like that, it's just not worth it.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ssj100matt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:55 pm

yeah Microsoft likes to pound the every day consumers anus with dissapointment and headaches... makes you wanna go MAC or Lynx
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby VxJasonxV » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:47 am

ssj100matt wrote:... or Lynx
I prefer links. But thanks for the mention :-).
[/linux joke]

The fact that my DDR games aren't slated to work (yet) bothers me, was there really a mention that downloaded content won't save/be allowed to be used?
I had not heard of such a thing yet.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:45 am

This is from 1up.com:

Xbox.com: So do people have to buy their downloadable content again?

On the current-generation Xbox, downloadable content can't be transferred from console to console. For example, if you have two original Xbox consoles and want to have a specific content download on each one, you need to download it twice, and that means paying for it twice if it's premium content. This also holds true from Xbox to Xbox 360.

Long story short it will cost another $60 in order to play all those song packs on the 360. I really did think they would put in DDR since it actually did sell well. Since UM3 didn't come out yet I guess there is still a chance for that. Aren't all of the new xbox games going to have the emulation code on the disc? I remember hearing that some time ago.

Microsoft to consumer: "I'm gonna milk you like the fat cow you are!"

Consumer: "N..no you won't! I'm not gettting sucked...... in............oooooooooohh a cow face plate for $19.99"

Halo fanboy: "GO SUCK A COCK!!!!" (and no one understands why he says this)

and yes there will be a cow face plate.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:14 am

I think it'd be more of a hassle to try and move the downloaded content. And to set up something there checks your account off so you can redownload for free if you got it once already doesn't seem like it would go smoothly anyway. Sure, it sucks having to pay for it again, but I certainly wouldn't call it strange business practice. If you're gonna play the old XBox games significantly, I would just keep your old system even after the 360, just seems like the best bet.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:33 pm

It may be good business but it doesn't take into consideration the gamers. MS have already shown us this too by not releasing all the systems at launch. This is why Nintendo is my true favorite right now. I mean look at them they won't even release the revolution specs yet because "we don't need to know that", I think that is kick ass. Not too mention that the cube is the most powerful right now aside from the 360 but most people won't even pay attention to that and just say "nintendo is for kids" and "the xbox is the best because everytime you buy one MS loses money". So far nintendo are the only experts here since they have been in this business way before anyone else. If it wasn't for nintendo we would never have a playstation or most of the people that have been bought by MS, like Rare.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby blackdevilrx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:57 pm

I think Microsoft went, "Well, since obviously anyone who owns an xbox has Halo and Halo 2 and that's it, we don't really need to worry about the other games."

This is like, even more incentive for me not to get a 360.
blackdevilrx
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Misty » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:14 pm

I'm not planning on buying a 360 at all right now anyway, since: 1) I need a new TV for playing any consoles anyway 2) I only have interest in purchasing one Xbox game at present (Ultramix 3) 3) I have a bit more interest in getting a replacement PS2/waiting for PS3 than getting the Xbox 360 4) My next planned purchase overall is the teal Nintendogs bundle if I can manage to save enough money since I know there's not a shot in hell that I'll be getting it for Christmas :(
Misty
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:08 pm

I think the 360 will definately be better than the original but still not as good as the other two of the next gen. I'm sure like the 1st one it will have a few really good exclusives that we can appreciate (like JSRF or shenmue II) but it will have some more because MS is evil and bought up many good devolpers.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:36 pm

I thought JSRF was crap compared to the first one(which I loved). Shenmue is a snore-fest. I really liked the Panzer Dragoon game though. Overall, I don't think there's anything on the system I couldn't have lived without. Samurai Shodown V is coming out soon though, unfortunately it's the version without the fatalities which sucks. But since I don't have my MVS anymore, guess I'll deal with it. :p Live is nice I suppose, but you also pay for it to be nice compared to the free PS2 service. Who else has MS bought up besides Rare? Rare sucks anyway, only games of theirs I enjoyed much was the DKC series, that was a long time ago.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:12 pm

Ok ok, JSRF wasn't as good as the first and the same goes for shenmue but they were still good. I forgot to mention that live is good because of all the games that exclusively have it (Capcom vs. SNK 2, Guilty Gear X2 #reload, ect.). MS bought many people, the ones that really stick out in my mind are the original Final Fantasy creator and the Street Fighter creator. There are more but going on that alone is damn good. Hey Rare is awesome with gems like DKC, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Star Fox 64, and the platformers were good. And if you want one really good xbox exclusive play Ninja Gaiden, it's one of my favorite games.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:08 am

I don't care for FPS', I wasn't impressed with Goldeneye at all. Only FPS I ever played through was the original Quake :P

I wasn't aware Rare was behind Starfox64, that game was great. So I'll say 4 games they've made are good, DKC 1-3 and SF64 :D
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:59 pm

Well what about the others that MS bought out?
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter