Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Toys R Us Electronics Dept

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Toys R Us Electronics Dept

Postby robbway » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:24 am

This isn't really news, but more of an observation. As Toys R Us is ramping up their holiday season, the electronics department in my local store is changing the entire place to feature Xbox360 colors! That's right, off-white with clear neon green trim, with few straight lines or corners. I would chalk this up to a new 360 display, except the decor I'm describing was the mp3 player and portable electronics display.

I'm not sure if black is the new white or white is the new black, because we're flipping pop-colors faster than ever. Didn't we miss the brushed-steel look this time? :)
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:59 am

Hmmm, I wonder if this is happening in a lot of stores nationwide... I'll have to check the local one here though I admit I don't get out to Toys R' Us much :lol:
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby robbway » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:52 pm

skie wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if this is happening in a lot of stores nationwide... I'll have to check the local one here though I admit I don't get out to Toys R' Us much :lol:

Never underestimate the power of the kiddie store! They have green tag (50%) sales, buy 2 get 1 sale on the non-portable console games, and clearance prices. I was too late this year to cash in on the "out with the old, in with the new" pre Xmas clearance--which is still going on.

Unfortunately, most of the clearance games from 2004 are still shrink-wrapped. :oops:
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Toys R Us Electronics Dept

Postby Sakurina » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:32 pm

robbway wrote:my local store is changing the entire place to feature Xbox360 colors! That's right, off-white with clear neon green trim

Uh, Toys'R Us's electronics department has been like this for 2 years or so up here at our local one... :P
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sephiroth1215 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:05 pm

robbway wrote:
skie wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if this is happening in a lot of stores nationwide... I'll have to check the local one here though I admit I don't get out to Toys R' Us much :lol:

Never underestimate the power of the kiddie store! They have green tag (50%) sales, buy 2 get 1 sale on the non-portable console games, and clearance prices. I was too late this year to cash in on the "out with the old, in with the new" pre Xmas clearance--which is still going on.

Unfortunately, most of the clearance games from 2004 are still shrink-wrapped. :oops:

Wait wait wait, are you telling me I should be in my toys r' us right now because they are having a big sale for some games!
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Toys R Us

Postby robbway » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:24 pm

Sure. But I discovered today that different stores carry different deals. The other store I visited only had a buy 2 get 1 on very old Gamecube games. But the green tags are in force! I finally got Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for $17.50.

Yes, the neon green thing was there, too. I'm hoping its just the portable electronics and the xbox 360. We'll know in a month.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:49 pm

UPDATE!!!!!

BUY 2 GET ONE FREE ON ALL GAMES 19.99!!!!!!!!
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby skie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:56 am

FYI, for those that heard my talk on Castlevania: DS and Tecmo Super Collection this week... both those games were purchased at my local Toys R' Us :P ... it actually wasn't the first place I tried... Best Buy didn't have Castlevania DS in... wtf?
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Best Buy and < 1 Million Sellers

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:18 am

It's a crap-shoot finding games at Best Buy, Toys R Us, Walmart, etc. I only hope that Gamestop/EB is a profitable business because they're the only big company that will carry all titles, even the obscure. I'm finding that Best Buy is not carrying small titles anymore. The software and the video games section are shrinking down to the major labels.

On the other hand, most of those titles are available at the online store, which is practically a completely different retailer.

Another side-effect is that only the big-launch titles, like Madden, are given the opening-day priority. Other titles are either not shipping right away or not being shelved for sale right away. I'm guessing is both.

I could only find the TECMO collection at EB. I also paid $29.99. Yes, that's an ouch!

I did find Castlevania DS on Sunday the 9th at Best Buy. It must be a coastal thing.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Console Gaming Chatter