Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

The doujin/freeware/indie PC game thread

Of course you can game on the PC as well... what are you pointing and clicking at this week?

The doujin/freeware/indie PC game thread

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:47 pm

I thought I'd make my first post here spotlighting a couple of free games I've come across, maybe you guys could give your opinions?:

Cave Story - http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html

Basically a Metroid-style adventure/platformer/shooter with a vast underground world to explore. Originally a Japanese freeware game, AGTP translated the game into english and released a patch.

Cho Ren Sha 68k - http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/index.html

You'll definetly want to use a gamepad or arcade joystick for this vertically scrolling shootemup in the vein of games like Raiden or Truxton/Tatsujin. A rather basic shooter, the powerups don't get any more complex than the first Raiden game, but the shooting action is still very hectic, even more so than in Raiden!

Every Extend - http://www.download.com/3000-2099-10347823.html

You might recognize this as closely resembling Every Extend Extra on the PSP. While not graphically/aurally as intense as the PSP update, this game still delivers a great 'pick up and play' experience. E2 also supports use of the gamepad much like CRS68K.

My favorite out of the lot would have to be Cho Ren Sha 68K. It's just like one of those white knuckle arcade shooters from the mid to late 80s and early 90s.

DT
Last edited by DarkTetsuya on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby WarriorBob » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:33 pm

It isn't freeware, but I usually try to yell about Jets n' Guns every chance I get, and it certainly isn't mainstream. It's an indie game I think. It's a sidescrolling shmup with purchasable upgrades for your ship. The first two levels are amazingly difficult at first but after those the game gets a bit easier, although it's certainly no kiddie game. Also the music is great, done by one of the bands that was in In the Groove.

http://jng.rakeingrass.com
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby tweak_ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 pm

WarriorBob wrote:It isn't freeware, but I usually try to yell about Jets n' Guns every chance I get, and it certainly isn't mainstream. It's an indie game I think. It's a sidescrolling shmup with purchasable upgrades for your ship. The first two levels are amazingly difficult at first but after those the game gets a bit easier, although it's certainly no kiddie game. Also the music is great, done by one of the bands that was in In the Groove.

that band being machinae supremacy :D
tweak_
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:10 pm

WarriorBob wrote:It isn't freeware, but I usually try to yell about Jets n' Guns every chance I get, and it certainly isn't mainstream. It's an indie game I think. It's a sidescrolling shmup with purchasable upgrades for your ship. The first two levels are amazingly difficult at first but after those the game gets a bit easier, although it's certainly no kiddie game. Also the music is great, done by one of the bands that was in In the Groove.

Yeah that's the word I was looking for, indie... LOL. I haven't played that one, though.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am

I heard rob gave a mention to my thread this last Sunday <3

Though there was one other older PC title I wanted to talk about:

Freddy's Rescue Roundup - I don't have a link offhand, but if you know 'The Underdogs,' they should have it there. I guess this game came packed with the ancient IBM PS/2s, at least I think they did. You play as Freddy, this little yellow head with legs who has to round up these birds, while gathering supplies and avoiding patrolling robots. The game probably was either inspired or ripped off of Lode Runner, one of my all time favorite Mac titles. If you're going to attempt to play this on anything faster than an IBM PS/2, I suggest tracking down DOSBOX to run it. (Otherwise I don't think it'll even run at all.)

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby mikew0440 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:34 pm

I'll post a game for the FPS fans around here. *Looks around and sees he's the biggest FPS nerd around here*

Gunz, a free FPS that's a pretty good for being free.

[url]google.com[/url] Search is good for the lazy. :wink:
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:39 pm

This isnt really a indie game but it was indie remade from the great original game...

Kings Quest 3 Remake

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3/

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby sithspawn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:30 am

It's not done, it may never be done, but the demo brings it back to the day.

INDIANA JONES AND THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH
http://www.barnettcollege.com/index2.htm

It's a new story put together with Adventure Game Studio and a few other tools. It's free and worth checking out.
sithspawn
New Listener
New Listener

Postby WarriorBob » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:46 am

I know it's an old thread, but this is a slower board and I don't think anyone will mind.

I have recently been playing FreeCiv. Like, I downloaded it on a whim and just stayed up most of the night playing it. It's a free game trying to closely model Sid Meier's Civilization. It is open source, which means that it has a ton of options, network play, customizability out the wazoo, and is a lot of fun, but the interface needs work. It took me quite a lot of time to figure out some aspects of it (and others I'm still working on) but it's a stellar game for the price, and one I think I could recommend pretty easily.

http://www.freeciv.org
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby vandalous » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:33 am

This is a great thread. Props to DT and all y'all for putting stuff in it. I don't know much about indie games so I love seeing these.

If you have Dungeon Siege laying around, there's a Total Conversion available so that you can play Ultima V. It's a fun way to relive what is widely considered to be one of the best Ultima games.

http://lazarus.planetdungeonsiege.gamespy.com/
La de da.
vandalous
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:40 am

Along those same lines, is Nexuiz (pronounced, more or less, nexus. closer to nex - is)

It is a cross platform open source free First Person Shooter. I haven't played it in years, but the development has continued, and there's a lot of good core features as well as tweaks and contributed stuff.

Some of these linux games are actually Open Source, not just Linux games. Check 'em out. I'm sure most all of you have played (or at least heard of) Enemy Territory, but check out the rest if applicable to your Operating System.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 pm

This actually isn't a download... but I thought it was kinda neat, if not nearly impossible to play:

Typingmania 4:
link

If you've ever heard of beatmania DA! for PS2/PC, its the same idea. except much more difficult.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:06 pm

One I'm personally hoping gets a 'Classic game of the week' nod:

La Mulana - http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lamulana

Basically it's an old-school style adventure game designed to look and feel like an old MSX game, there's all sorts of craziness going on in it (one example: a hidden minigame that's a nod to both Snatcher and Tokimeki Memorial, as well as some general Kojima-esque referential stuff.) Additionally you can pick up MSX ROMs along the way to use as powerups (there's one you need to have to even save your progress.)

Fair word of warning though, if you like using savestates to cheat your way through games on emulators, you might wanna pass on this one, it's pretty tough. (Though, I did discover an easy shortcut to saving your game... thanks to a rather infamous video walkthrough series, search youtube for a 'deceasedcrab' if you're ever stuck, his videos will probably help you get out of any jam... and maybe make you laugh in the process, LOL.)

I'm loving the game so far, even though its frickin hard.
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Let's Play: La Mulana, is a freaking RIOT.

I actually watched the entire series of videos.

It was... interesting, to say the least.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 pm

VxJasonxV wrote:Let's Play: La Mulana, is a freaking RIOT.

I actually watched the entire series of videos.

It was... interesting, to say the least.

PkerUNO was talking about his vids on twitter, more specifically the end-game segment 'Hell Temple' (Which, as far as I'm concerned is aptly titled. :P) I haven't seen all of the vids yet, but since I'm using it as a guide as to what to do to get through it, I just might end up seeing it all, LOL...

Right now DC's doing Civilization, which I imagine will take 100 videos, easy :P

EDIT: I wonder if there's a way to get the soundtrack, that first song's really cool (especially when you switch to the 'arranged' music in the options) I'm hoping you can just grab the files from the game's folder?
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Next

Return to PC & Other Gaming Chatter