Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Classic Game of the Week -- Your Take!: Super Mario World

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Classic Game of the Week -- Your Take!: Super Mario World

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

So as suggested on last night's OLR, we needed some ways to revive the forum.... one of the ways I've already attempted to revive the forums is elsewhere (in our BEMANI games section of the forum.) The other, I've decided to put here.

As you've seen on Sunday's OLR, the Classic Game was none other than Nintendo's very first 16-bit installment to their Mario franchise, Super Mario World (aka Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan)

So what do you think? Have any memories from this great 16-bit classic? Let's hear your thoughts/stories!!
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Re: Classic Game of the Week -- Your Take!: Super Mario World

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 pm

And I just remembered, there was this highlight from one of my favorite justin.tv/twitch.tv casters (which the olr hosts even have a cameo of sorts in this clip!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6A_r5Pl5t0
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby skie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:05 pm

I love that clip from martinigaming, I haven't seen that in forever and it made me :D

This game is soooo good.

One thing I didn't bring up on the show this weekend when Jamie was talking about it but-- I really like how this game can be very long or very short due to the map. I mean obviously those challenge levels (i.e. Awesome, Cool, Tubular) were hard as hell... okay maybe not asshole mario hard but still pretty hard. You could choose to clear the game the whole way thru EVERY single level and get your little gold star, or there was a way you could skip like half the game and run right up to the back door of bowsers castle. Anyone remember that? I think it was like only 7 levels you had to play or something like that? o_O
Rob Roberts-- Contaminating Internet Radio since 1998
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:18 pm

And then I remembered there was the reaction highlight on JTV/TTV ... good times. :D

I really think that game was the de-facto standard as far as 'secret levels' go, the five 'Star Road' levels, and of course the 8 'uber' levels... I was kinda let down when New SMB on Wii only had the eight 'world 9' levels, which while they were right up there in difficulty with the SNES ones, after you beat those that was it!

Although to be fair it was certainly harder to unlock them having to go get every last star coin...
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)