Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Episode 292 -- August 25, 2008

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Episode 292 -- August 25, 2008

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 am

We are back after a quick week off and the guns come out a blazin right from the start, with some controversial opinions from the hosts and the listeners on the Leipzig Space Invaders exhibit that turned many heads this week. Also shaking heads this week is the leaked information of Beat n Groovy, what looks to be a remake of Pop n Music for Xbox Live Arcade. What do our longtime music game loving fans think of this idea? Music game news dominates Part A this week, but not totally as we also get to talk about the anticipated Final Fantasy 13 demo, as well as some of Sonys announcements from the games convention.

In Part B this week, Xbox 360 looks for certain to be getting another price drop but why is this pesky rumor about motion controls returning? Is there any truth to this rumor whatsoever? Keep spreading these rumors and we might nail your Xbox to a tree, too. Or would that just be a ploy for attention and ebay sales inflation? Our New Yorkers react to the news that Digital Life is canceled, and our skype callers update us on other Anime conventions that took place last week.

All this and MUCH more on this weeks episode of Orange Lounge Radio, the gaming podcast where EVERY gamer has a voice!
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:38 am

WTC invaders: Not really much else I can add that hasn't already been said, I don't blame Taito for wanting to distance themselves from being 'the company that made that horrible 9/11 game.'

beat'n groovy: Well, the reviews aren't so favorable regarding the new 'americanized' art style, but as long as the nine revealed songs aren't the full songlist, I might see if I can talk my brother into downloading it. :P
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

beat'n groovy:
It's funny that the song select interface has a turntable...
It's interesting that all of the songs are indeed Pop'N Music songs.
It's funnier that this game is going to flop harder than Boom Boom Rocket.

I just noticed that Rob mistyped this episode as 291 on the podcast.
Whoops!

Time to go fix that.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby ssj100matt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:26 pm

I wanted to call in and talk about this but i got beat out :P

On Digital Life: As someone who was supposed to work at the convention (the DDR Tournament specifically) i can tell you what they told us... About 2-3 weeks ago they told us that the convention was POSTPONED to a later date (note how i don't say cancel)... They didn't give us a reason (at that time) but they apologized for the inconvenience... Later they emailed everyone that they were postponing the convention due to the fact that they, "could not put on a show that would be equal to previous convention years"... Aside from that they haven't told us anything else, even though its being reported that it was "canceled" due to the bad economy...

Personally i think that it was a combination of Ziff Davis (the company hosting the show) filing for bankruptcy protection months back and the fact that most of the companies don't want to go to Digital life because its so close to PAX and Leipzig... The Anime Convention Ranma mentioned wasn't really a problem because they already knew of each other for a year already...

Either way im not really disappointed... I was looking forward to working there this year but if anyone who went last year will tell you, "your not missing much"...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Konami Music Games

Postby robbway » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:58 am

I listened to VxJasonxV's comment on Konami should stop making music/rhythm games in North America. Something that they should have done a long time ago in Japan was to put a music editor similar to MTV Music Generator into their DDR. They already had the memory card slots and lots of Konami-owned music rights. The music would be pre-synched, so the arrow editing would be simple. I made that comment on DDR Freak a long time ago. I heard that both Guitar Hero World Tour and the Rock Revolution would have music editing/creation. Too late! Especially for Konami.

I also wonder how much this music editing stuff will catch on since the Codemasters music generators didn't quite take off as wildly as they expected.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:45 pm

DDR arcade cabs only supported PS1 memory cards. It'd be high near unfeasible to fit the song on the memory card itself.

Though, I suppose it could save a meta format of the samples and their insert time, then the arcade machine carries the same format and reads the metadata and translates it back into music...

Absolute hell with no expandability, besides all that's gone, it didn't happen, etc.

However, now that DDR X apparently has USB slots, and USB cards come as high as 32GB a stick...

:)

[edit]
Don't worry, by the way. It STILL won't take off. A console music creation utility is infinitely limited. Even with all of Codemasters' extra peripherals (that costed way the hell too much), MTV Music Generator sucked.

As a matter of amusing fact, a friend of mine made 5 songs with MTV Music Generator, and he felt he about tapped out the samples available to him with it.

Now, if you have actual musical talent that you run through something worth any beans (Reason, FLStudio, etc.), you might have something. That's why ITG r21 / r23 cabs exist :). And Stepmania.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby robbway » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:14 am

Yes, I meant that the arcade game would have all of the samples of the home game, then the songs could be built on the fly. The PSone MTV Music Generator was actually fairly versatile, but lacks the features of the software you mentioned, and it was hard to use.

:D "Infinitely Limited"
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)