Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio 190 - 7/8/06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:56 pm

But, I think you are right, the main feature of this ad was sex appeal. I doubt chess pieces would look hot on a billboard. :wink:
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Graywulf wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Graywulf wrote:If I would of seen the ad before the racialphobic politicians I would of thought it was kinda lame and I am a sony fan.

other than that the day would go on with no new info from sony or psp.

also to comment on something else in the news the M$ IPOD hmm who else finds this as a contradiction to the campain of pointing the finger at who is copying who.

But isnt that the intention to create a ipod killer and then claim apple copied there idea, sounds familliar to me.

Just because a company is creating a "so-and-so killer" doesn't mean they are going to claim that they came up with the idea. If anything, one could claim that Apple stole the idea of MP3 player from Creative and iRiver, and the idea of a Hard Drive-based player from Compaq.

Just because a company came up with a type of technology doesn't mean other companies can't make something similar. If that wasn't true, the iPod wouldn't exist.

Besides, just as robbway mentioned, Microsoft didn't say that Sony copied anyone, they just pointed out the Sony statements that lacked correctness.

Also, the Microsoft's credit, their device if going to be different from the iPod, it will have Wi-Fi, which iPod doesn't have; a built-in music distribution program, which the iPod doesn't have; and possibly game functionality, unlike the iPod's craptastic and almost unplayble games.

Of cource, if it indeed does have game functionality, the second they announce it Sony is going to claim they copied the PSP.

P.S. the M$ thing really bugs me, why do people use it so much? is it really that hard to type Microsoft of even MS?

Actually wasnt refering to the fact that they were making another MP3 player its the fact that it looks so much like the IPod thats so like M$.

Strange, how would you know the Microsoft MP3 looks like the iPOd when no pictures were released and the device itself hasn't even been officially confirmed by Microsoft? And please tell me in which past instances has Microsoft made a product which was similar to an Apple product?
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 pm

Eddy wrote:I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying that the Xbox started this whole "copycat" thing? Because that is absolutely not true, what started it was the fact the Sony built motion sensing technology into the PS3, so people claimed they copied the Wii. Not Nintendo, mind you, just average people.

Acctually it all started when the XBox was released and everyone was quick to notice how simular the system was to the N64 and the PS2 allready on the market . Then it was a reverse quick to find out everything that sony was making that was simular to everything but the allready simular XBOX. so lately its been a here goes sony again and now here goes M$ again tell me isnt all this somewhat lame to even point out.

after all it was those that bought the xbox and to support their purchase or possibly PC people who just love bill gates who were throwing the first copycat stones.

sorry for my late post had to get something to eat.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Graywulf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Eddy wrote:
Graywulf wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Graywulf wrote:If I would of seen the ad before the racialphobic politicians I would of thought it was kinda lame and I am a sony fan.

other than that the day would go on with no new info from sony or psp.

also to comment on something else in the news the M$ IPOD hmm who else finds this as a contradiction to the campain of pointing the finger at who is copying who.

But isnt that the intention to create a ipod killer and then claim apple copied there idea, sounds familliar to me.

Just because a company is creating a "so-and-so killer" doesn't mean they are going to claim that they came up with the idea. If anything, one could claim that Apple stole the idea of MP3 player from Creative and iRiver, and the idea of a Hard Drive-based player from Compaq.

Just because a company came up with a type of technology doesn't mean other companies can't make something similar. If that wasn't true, the iPod wouldn't exist.

Besides, just as robbway mentioned, Microsoft didn't say that Sony copied anyone, they just pointed out the Sony statements that lacked correctness.

Also, the Microsoft's credit, their device if going to be different from the iPod, it will have Wi-Fi, which iPod doesn't have; a built-in music distribution program, which the iPod doesn't have; and possibly game functionality, unlike the iPod's craptastic and almost unplayble games.

Of cource, if it indeed does have game functionality, the second they announce it Sony is going to claim they copied the PSP.

P.S. the M$ thing really bugs me, why do people use it so much? is it really that hard to type Microsoft of even MS?

Actually wasnt refering to the fact that they were making another MP3 player its the fact that it looks so much like the IPod thats so like M$.

Strange, how would you know the Microsoft MP3 looks like the iPOd when no pictures were released and the device itself hasn't even been officially confirmed by Microsoft? And please tell me in which past instances has Microsoft made a product which was similar to an Apple product?

Your serious you havnt seen it its been on TV allready it has a bigger screen and the same circle pad to search the menus with oh and its white.

Havnt been looking for it online but I guess there are alot of people that havnt seen it yet.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Even if it has been announced and what you describe is true, that is like saying that Logitech copied Microsoft (or vice versa) because they both have an black optical mouse with a left mouse button, a right mouse button, and a scroll wheel.

They only way that you can say Microsoft copied Apple is if they called the thing the mPod, made a piece of software called mTunes, and they look EXACTLY THE SAME

Edit: Are you talking about this?

If so, they source of the image (the original poster) is ENGadget, who claims they got it from an "insider", which makes me doubt the authenticity of the photo. And so what if it has a scoll wheel? It really isn't a piece of breakthrough technology, and I do beleive that Apple does not hold a patent for the scroll wheel.

Another point, do tell hwich part of the iPod is unique?
Last edited by Eddy on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Eddy wrote:Even if it has been announced and what you describe is true, that is like saying that Logitech copied Microsoft (or vice versa) because they both have an black optical mouse with a left mouse button, a right mouse button, and a scroll wheel.

They only way that you can say Microsoft copied Apple is if they called the thing the mPod, made a piece of software called mTunes, and they look EXACTLY THE SAME

And please, do pray tell where you have seen this?

For my part I could care less who copies who as we are to benefit if one is better in more ways than the other. my comments are only for those that keep the copycat idea going.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Graywulf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:57 pm

Graywulf wrote:
Eddy wrote:Even if it has been announced and what you describe is true, that is like saying that Logitech copied Microsoft (or vice versa) because they both have an black optical mouse with a left mouse button, a right mouse button, and a scroll wheel.

And please, do pray tell where you have seen this?

For my part I could care less who copies who as we are to benefit if one is better in more ways than the other. my comments are only for those that keep the copycat idea going.

Or for those that say there goes Sony again and when Microsoft does its like its natural and we have to accept it. or some biased crap like that.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm

The only thing that Sony is being accused right now is copying the motion sensing. But the thing is, nobody probably would care or say that they copied Nintendo except for the fact that they claim the were working on it since 2002 or something like that, and, I think a lot of people think that that is a load of crap and they put it in at the last minute to amend for the fact the the controller has no rumble.

And Microsoft RARELY copies someone, save maybe the GUI concept, their usual stratergy is to buy out whatever it is they want. :)
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Eddy wrote:The only thing that Sony is being accused right now is copying the motion sensing. But the thing is, nobody probably would care or say that they copied Nintendo except for the fact that they claim the were working on it since 2002 or something like that, and, I think a lot of people think that that is a load of crap and they put it in at the last minute to amend for the fact the the controller has no rumble.

And Microsoft RARELY copies someone, save maybe the GUI concept, their usual stratergy is to buy out whatever it is they want. :)

exactly why my responses are to that nature who is saying that sony is copying? people who purchased an XBOX and perhaps the 360 too.

shouldnt it be nintendo making that claim but they arent? thats what puzzles me but I do wonder if that boomerang controller was a design based on the function but of course to a Xbox purchaser sony lies and steals.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gs68 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Gradius Collection/Portable is the shit but I don't care for having Salamander titles on it. It's good enough as it is.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:27 pm

Skie! The movie with the busy street thing that was edited out was "The Program"! 1993 release.

It's sad that I remember that, as I've never seen the movie. Just that portion and another part where two football players are spitting in each other's mouths.

And well, as far as the White ad goes... the only thing I would complain about it is that it was in whole a really bizzare ad campaign to begin with. But far from offensive, seeing as to how there were two other versions; one with the Black dominate, and the other neutral. This is one time where, had Sony not apologized, I wouldn't have blamed them one bit. In fact, I kind of wish they hadn't, because now it's just a case of the hypersensitive winning.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:51 pm

Graywulf wrote:
Eddy wrote:The only thing that Sony is being accused right now is copying the motion sensing. But the thing is, nobody probably would care or say that they copied Nintendo except for the fact that they claim the were working on it since 2002 or something like that, and, I think a lot of people think that that is a load of crap and they put it in at the last minute to amend for the fact the the controller has no rumble.

exactly why my responses are to that nature who is saying that sony is copying? people who purchased an XBOX and perhaps the 360 too.

shouldnt it be nintendo making that claim but they arent? thats what puzzles me but I do wonder if that boomerang controller was a design based on the function but of course to a Xbox purchaser sony lies and steals.

I hate to keep continuing this argument, but I feel you have a wrong perception here. Xbox and 360 owners aren't the ones claiming Sony is copying Nintendo. Nintendo fans and even Sony fans are. Sure, some Xbox owners who like Nintendo products as well may speak up here and there, but most do not. I do not know where you got that perception, but I feel that you have a certain bias in opinion toward Microsoft and it's products.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 am

Nice podcast guys. I was gone at church camp for a week and had to catch up on all my podcasts. Yours was the first on my list.

Oh yeah. YAY 300 posts.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby YURILOVER » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59 am

Edit: Are you talking about this?

If so, they source of the image (the original poster) is ENGadget, who claims they got it from an "insider", which makes me doubt the authenticity of the photo. And so what if it has a scoll wheel? It really isn't a piece of breakthrough technology, and I do beleive that Apple does not hold a patent for the scroll wheel.

Another point, do tell hwich part of the iPod is unique?
Just to tell you guys, there is a new Zune website: http://www.comingzune.com/
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Previous

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)