Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio - Episode 186 - 6 / 11 / 06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio - Episode 186 - 6 / 11 / 06

Postby skie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:40 am

XBOX 360 Dashboard Updates... Tetris on the 360... Has the 360 only seen part of its potential?... New Downloads on the 360 marketplace... Darwina to show up on XBLA?... Xbox 360 Modchip done soon... Wii titles listed at Best Buy... Release Dates... More Metal Gear Solid 4 details... Duke Nukem Forever this year?... Love in MMO's... Detox clinic for game addicts... FTC promises hot coffee report... Columnist slams video games... UK Summer Gaming events... Hell Tycoon... Uwe Boll sues Bloodrayne distributor... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby gamerdude1212 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Uwe Boll should die...Bob Dole shouldn't have spammed the hell out of chat...show was awesome
gamerdude1212
New Listener
New Listener

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:22 am

Hillary Clinton actually released a media guide for parents on her website. I didn't really get to check it out yet though.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Games and Violent Games

Postby robbway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 am

Since you brought it up in part A, here's something that happened Monday. I was walking along a hiking trail, and ahead was a guy with his 2 or 3 year-old. The kid had a stick, his dad had a tennis ball, and they were mimicking baseball. When the kid saw me coming he starting swinging the stick like a club at me (from 40 ft.). He was saying "Bam!" and "Got you!" He was fantasizing about smacking a perfect stranger into submission with a club. However, when I passed he didn't try to hit me with a stick.

The point of the story is that non-videogames can cause violent-like behavior. But, interestingly enough, the fantasy violence curbed some of the kid's energy and he didn't feel the need for real violence. Violent-like behavior and fantasies are not the same as violence.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:11 pm

part b is up

Playstation 3's to have Playstation 2's in them?... PS3s to be upgraded each year?... PS3's to be classified as a computer in the UK... Wii Virtual Console prices announced... NDS/Wii connectivity... Japanese Wii ship date to be announced in September... Nintendo outlines plans for DS for the rest of the year... Pokemon battle Revolution announced... Tingle: The RPG... Senator Clinton reiterates call for game violence study... Solitare during the Gotti trial?... ESA to sue MN over game bill... Louisana passes bill by he who shall not be named... ESRB / Penny Arcade ads... DC vs. Street Fighter game... FFXIII to be like Advent Children... Online game market to be 13 billion by 2011... Blizzard drops gold farming guide suit... More turd games... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Children's Rights?

Postby robbway » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:02 am

skie wrote:part b is up
... ESA to sue MN over game bill...

Children's rights (in the USA) are limited to the basic human rights and those their parents' and their governments (fed/state/local) allow. Kid's don't have freedom of speech, freedom of choice, a right to bear arms (thank god!), or any Constitutional right. This is because they're not fully mature adults and need to be guided before set free. It was naive for the ESA to say so, and I believe they knew this and stretched the definition of "rights."

Also on this topic, the Maryland law that has the Fuckompson text is endorsed by the ESA? 8O I don't get it. I'm no lawyer, but considering that we, as a nation, have extended "art" to include entertainment like movies, it will never be enforceable. And to mimic Roger Ebert, not all movies are "art." [Insert Uwe Boll joke and a drum hit]

See page 2, line 9 of the MD law.

EDIT: I sent the following inquiry on the MD law:

Dear ESA:

I read on the arstechnica.com website that the ESA has endorsed the MD violence/obsenity law controlling minors access to video games. I found no confirmation of that story on your website, instead I found kudos for the anti-piracy laws--a totally different topic.

Whether the story was true or not, I encourage you, resources permitting, to file suit against the MD law. It contains the same vague language as the other states' laws you have previously opposed. Look no further than the definition of "obscene" (page 2, line 9)
http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/bills/hb/hb0707t.pdf

Definition (iii) of "obscene" is particularly troublesome:

"(iii) that the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious artistic,
educational, literary, political, or scientific value."

It clearly defines that "lack" of those 5 qualities is "obscene." A blank video screen is not obscene even though it lacks those 5 qualities.

I believe the law is completely unenforceable for the same reasons you have opposed other states' laws.

You may contact me if you wish. I'm not a "youngster," but rather an adult of age 40 who has played video games since they were invented. I am particularly well-informed on this subject for someone my age, and I realize that this law was for furthering political careers and not a bona fide attempt at defining adult content.

Sincerely,
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)