Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

E3 2006 Specials

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

E3 2006 Specials

Postby skie » Wed May 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Wednesday's special is now up. Feedback welcomed!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Thu May 11, 2006 1:06 am

Yeah, sorry I was kinda off when I called in. I kind of drew a blank of what I was going to say, but basically I was trying to be as non-whiney as I could.

One thing I forgot to mention is that over here on the Not-at-E3 sidelines, a lot of people are starting to refer to the PS3 as the PS3DO. And... I can see where they're getting at, as I do see a lot of mistakes being made that were repeated in the past by not only the 3DO, but also those by a pre-crash Atari when they had way too much reliance on the namebrand.

I actually would have bought the 60gb version at $500. That was my absolute limit. And, well, I'm starting to read about Japanese gamers getting the bad news that are actually not too pleased with it either, and are (in Japanese style) politely expressing the concerns we are over here. This came as a shock as this is a country of people that will buy HDTVs way out of their price range.

My biggest fear for Sony, to be honest, is the possible scenario that maybe the price range is going to dent Sony so bad that, yeah, it would be third place and eventually it's third parties will hightail on over to either Wii or 360. I've personally accepted the fact that I'm not buying this thing at launch, if at all. I don't make much. In my situation, that's a month's rent and then some.

I'll pretty much copy/paste the brief blurb I posted of in Console Chatter in the Wii gets Pwnd thread: You know that episode of South Park where Cartman inherited a million bucks, bought a theme park, and advertised all these awesome rides on TV, and followed it up with "YOU CAN'T COME!"? Crazy Ken is pulling the Eric Cartman method as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, FFXIII (both of 'em), MGS4, Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter 5, Heavenly Sword, a controller I'm actually okay with? Rides I really REALLY want to ride and am getting teased with witnessing.

Skie, I hope your predictions are right. In the case of the controller, I speculate Sony was probably more motivated with the results of the beta testing (I've read up on it. Beta testers HATED it) than they were by public outcry. I hope to see more public outcry over this, but moreso, I hope to see publishers pressing Sony for a very quick near-launch pricecut.

But if not, well... I don't own an HDTV. So Sony's going to have to pull some real punches to seduce me to working extra hours at a job I really don't care much for in addition to a diet of Easy Mac, ramen noodles and chicken (which is cheap here).

Ah, and Wii? *sigh* I think I got my hopes up a little too much, but far be it for me to say that I wouldn't enjoy the thing. But I think I'm really going to have to test run it myself before I make a call. And as of right now, there's not as much as I expected to really win me over. Zelda and Mario Galaxy? Sure, but it takes more than two games.

360? Not to sound anti-Microsoft, but the library never really appealed to me, even with the XBox.

So... what's happenin' over on Bland Korean Cellphone Microgame Publisher's booth? :lol:
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Public Opinion is Important in Sales

Postby robbway » Thu May 11, 2006 4:53 am

TheIchibanCrush wrote:Skie, I hope your predictions are right. In the case of the controller, I speculate Sony was probably more motivated with the results of the beta testing (I've read up on it. Beta testers HATED it) than they were by public outcry. I hope to see more public outcry over this, but moreso, I hope to see publishers pressing Sony for a very quick near-launch pricecut.

Public Outcry: It's ugly. Beta Testers: It doesn't work well either.

Public Outcry should be considered, at the very least, to be a sales factor. For example, the Xbox360 controller got public responses as "sexy." Apparently the testers liked it too because the advanced prototypes were also reviewed favorably.

Now, the public hated the Xbox360 name. I couldn't tell you if that affected sales because the supply was less than demand. What we should do is keep our eyes on the Wii and see if sales are affected, as in less than Gamecube. The fact that all Nintendo consoles start with "Nintendo" should cushion the blow. It will be the "Nintendo Wii" instead of the "Wii," but I could be very wrong! :?

And one comment on Super Mario Universe. I watched some of the video and couldn't shake the feeling that I played the "Star World," with all the planets and such, before. And then I remember Sonic Adventure II on Dreamcast, and there was a level that looked and felt like SMU. I also remember hating that level, so I hope SMU is better.

I can see it now, Level 1 goals:
Find 100 coins!
Find the big star!
Find 5 red coins!
Find 10 blue coins!
Find 25 star shards!
Find the secret musical notes!
Beat the penguin!
Beat Boss Bob-Bomb!
Collect all of the Floober-Doobers!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Thu May 11, 2006 9:07 am

You guys must check out Spore. YOU HAVE TOO.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkSakura » Sat May 13, 2006 12:03 am

Thank god E3 is over.

PS3...UTTER SUCK. It sucked in ways I didn't know there were to suck in.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: Public Opinion is Important in Sales

Postby robbway » Sat May 13, 2006 6:38 am

robbway wrote: What we should do is keep our eyes on the Wii and see if sales are affected, as in less than Gamecube. The fact that all Nintendo consoles start with "Nintendo" should cushion the blow. It will be the "Nintendo Wii" instead of the "Wii," but I could be very wrong! :?

From the various reports of E3, I would say I was very wrong. People are still enamored with Nintendo, despite the console names.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Blackwolf » Sun May 14, 2006 7:34 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank you all for letting me be a part of the OLR family for two and a quarter shows this week. As I said on Friday's final thoughts, I've been a fan for longer than the podcast has been around (even if I wasn't exactly a loyal weekly listener pre-podcast) so it was a thrill for me to be in the 4th seat for those shows.

The OLR fans in the chat room were very accomidating and I hope to see you guys around in the future - and big thanks to Rob, Jamie, and Matt for letting me be a part of it all and for coming on my show.

We'll have to do this again next year!

-Bobby Blackwolf
http://www.bobbyblackwolfshow.com/
Blackwolf
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Reenee » Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 am

Can someone go watch a stream of the PS3 conference and look out for the part where someone laughs out loud when they announce the tilt features of the controller? XD

Blackwolf's birthday on May12th? zomg that's mine too; let's mess up E3 Outpost 2007 for that reason.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby gs191 » Sun May 14, 2006 6:02 pm

DarkSakura wrote:Thank god E3 is over.

PS3...UTTER SUCK. It sucked in ways I didn't know there were to suck in.

I could hear the world just say FU to Sony right after they "forgot" to mention what didn't come with the el'cheapo PS3 package. I also loved Sony’s ego as they said that the next generation doesn’t begin until they say so. God, I really want to get rid of all my Sony stuff and get an Xbox 360 now and get the Wii when it comes out. Although the games from coming out on the ps3 looked great but they look like xbox360 games. Did I forget to mention that I’m totally disappointed with Sony? I will not be buying a ps3 anytime soon.

As for the Xbox 360, I was like meh... just as everybody expected that they would announce their hd-dvd and some more games. Although I do like the idea of live anywhere and the convergence of multiplatform online gaming. Of course, I’ll obtain vista thru my school anyway. But my question is what’s with Games for Windows?

Nintendo blew me away this year with their showing, I was glad to see that they really worked on the new Zelda game and all that bitching from the Zelda fanboys was for no reason. Also I was glad to see that they had their games running in widescreen 480p, which is DVD quality btw, and I think would look just as good on a decent HDTV with upscaling.

I think for next year, OLR should do a meta page if you all have time, just grab all the e3 content from all the coverage sites and put it all in a nice convenient site where people can easily navigate. Just a thought....

Oh, were was pc gaming this year, I almost heard nothing from that front...
Admin of the OLR Frappr Map.
gs191
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby skie » Sun May 14, 2006 7:38 pm

gs191 wrote:Oh, were was pc gaming this year, I almost heard nothing from that front...

Spore. and that's all you need :)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun May 14, 2006 9:19 pm

TheIchibanCrush wrote:a lot of people are starting to refer to the PS3 as the PS3DO.

I also drew that conclusion... Didn't the 3DO originally launch at $600/$700, somewhere in that neighborhood? And look where they are now, they aren't even a 3rd party company anymore.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:
TheIchibanCrush wrote:a lot of people are starting to refer to the PS3 as the PS3DO.

I also drew that conclusion... Didn't the 3DO originally launch at $600/$700, somewhere in that neighborhood? And look where they are now, they aren't even a 3rd party company anymore.

DT

lol remember the army men series? That's the last I remember from 3DO and the original was actually a hit, but man did that series suck.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby LOKI » Sun May 14, 2006 10:33 pm

Actually a new Army Men came out a few weeks ago. Not that it was good or anything.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 pm

It did? how long ago was that? Anyways, like I said 3DO has more or less fallen off the face of the earth.

And unless sony can cut the price before release then they'd better get used to last place, cause I don't think many people would spend $700 on a game machine when they could be buying a new PC for roughly the same amount of money.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Well I still see some hope since stores don't have the go yet on reserves. I'll give it till the end of summer to see if the price drops but they really are making a huge mistake no matter what sony says.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)