Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Mini Episode for 4/30/06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Mini Episode for 4/30/06

Postby skie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:10 pm

PSP Firmware 2.7... Sony to not reveal the price of the PS3?... Lumines 2... Halo 3 at E3?... Indie bands wanted for Guitar Hero 2... Locoroco demo... Marvel... EA Spouse revealed... Hack your DS into a Lite?... Koei at E3... Indiana Jones and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: Orange Lounge Radio Mini Episode for 4/30/06

Postby DidYouLoseASock » Mon May 01, 2006 3:10 pm

You had me laughing every time you would start a new topic thinking that you were going to talk about Wii and then talk about something else until the very end. The fake ending had me on the floor. Awsome Mini show.
DidYouLoseASock
New Listener
New Listener

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Mon May 01, 2006 7:06 pm

You guys handled the Nintendo news with STYLE. I was almost dreading listening because I was expecting ongoing jokes about the name over and over and over (not exactly potty humor, but constant puns) through the entire episode or spend half of the show devoted to talking about it. But you guys pulled it off nicely. And funny I might add.

And yes, I agree with you guys on the subject 100%. In my own LJ, I refused to even talk about it other than saying "I know I'm expected to talk about this but I'm not", and just posted a longwinded excript from The Fountainhead. Mainly because I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's a top story, yeah, but it shouldn't even be the story of the year as of this point.

I'm almost ashamed of being a gamer after seeing the way most other gamers have been reacting. I'm not even talking urine jokes here.

My favorite gaming community, a place I consider home, the SomethingAwful forums. Despite anything you might have heard about us goons, the SA Forums (as an entirity, not just it's games forums) are actually one of the best communities you'll ever see on the net, but they don't put up with stupidity either. Even the majority there was acting hysterical and stupid over the news. Joystiq... WHY Joystiq did you post like 83 different articles complaining about this? Jeez, all of you, calm the fizznuck down...

And this...
http://www.wii-fi.org/
I wanna smack the people that made this site, I wanna smack everyone who actually takes time out of their schedule to tell them how bad they think their choice was and to rename the system Nintendo Nitro or whathaveyou, and I wanna smack the Nintendo rep that responds to those complaints with anything of higher customer service treatment than a form letter. If anyone needs to write Nintendo for anything, it's to push them to translate Mother 3 (which is also a stupid name for a game but doesn't change it from rockin'). Not this.

My personal opinion on it? I like the name, actually. It's simple, it's different, and it's every bit as dignified as PLAY-STATION, DREAM-CAST, X-BOX, GAME-BOY, and GAME-CUBE. And you know what? I haven't bought a brand new recently-released Nintendo home console since the SNES days. I may actually reconsider that longtime stance. And you know what else? The sheer fact they released this newsbomb before E3 (like I said, I recognize that it's big news, just not video game story of the year so far) tells me they have some serious revelations lined up for the show.

But you never know, a rugged, cutting edge name could automatically sell the system and become a household name. Seriously, something like "Lynx", "Master System", "CDI", "Saturn" or "Jaguar". Man, I bet a system called JAGUAR would have a library of entirely good games, and would instantly sell.

(Wii)
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkSakura » Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 am

OMG WIIII.

Seriously, I think they could have picked something a bit more marketable, but 'Wii' does the job well enough.

LOL at the Jaguar... Actually a system Dan and I don't own because we can play Tempest 2000 on the Saturn. :wink:
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Dyslexia

Postby robbway » Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 am

I wonder when I see the Wii logo if they were undecided between iWi and Wii. They say the "i" are iconic people. iWi looks like two people playing together, connected by the "Web" or two TV antennae. Maybe they thought that people would notice they're ripping off the iPod logo, so moved the other "i" to the end? I still believe they're trying to create buzz like the iPod did. Maybe the Wii-shop will resemble iTunes for downloading old games.

I think a good example of this type of marketing is the "CK be" cologne.

Hey DS, the intro to the fictional game Stay Alive in the movie Stay Alive was like a flash poem. They had to pledge themselves to some evil spirit by reading it aloud. Also, the Lord of the Rings comes to mind with the scrolling parchment behind the scrolling elvish behind the English translation. I don't know if that will inspire you or stick in your head like a catchy song.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkSakura » Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 am

I actually have a working layout in my head, but that does help a bit. My Flash homework is a digital haiku. =)
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Haiku! Bless You.

Postby robbway » Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 am

DarkSakura wrote:I actually have a working layout in my head, but that does help a bit. My Flash homework is a digital haiku. =)

Is that a Bemani 573, or a standard 575? Either way, that's a nice, short format. The rest is literally all Flash. :lol: Good luck with that.

BTW I loved the joke at the end of the show. That was inspired, guys.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue May 02, 2006 12:16 pm

You know it didn't dawn on me till he talked about it that the 'revolution' wouldn't fly in europe. I wonder if the fact 'wii' means 'yes' in french has anything to do with the new name?

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby skie » Tue May 02, 2006 1:13 pm

it's "oui" that means yes not "wii" in french. I believe there is slightly different pronunciation IF you took it at face value because the alphabet shifts... but don't quote me on that because i've never had a french class I just know they have a more complex alphabet due to the use of accents. All that aside, I believe they'll still say it like we are saying it since nintendo is trying to create a buzzword (or something like that)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 pm

skie wrote:it's "oui" that means yes not "wii" in french. I believe there is slightly different pronunciation IF you took it at face value because the alphabet shifts... but don't quote me on that because i've never had a french class I just know they have a more complex alphabet due to the use of accents. All that aside, I believe they'll still say it like we are saying it since nintendo is trying to create a buzzword (or something like that)

I knew that, its just that 'wii' sounds like 'yes' in french, is all... and since its replacing 'revolution' as the new name I thought perhaps it was secretly trying to appease the french audience? :P

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Re: Haiku! Bless You.

Postby DarkSakura » Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

robbway wrote:Is that a Bemani 573, or a standard 575? Either way, that's a nice, short format. The rest is literally all Flash. :lol: Good luck with that.

Hah, thanks. But no, standard haiku. It's actually translated, so it doesn't come out just right, but oh well.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Lost in Translation

Postby robbway » Tue May 02, 2006 5:29 pm

Here's my speculation:

'Revolution' is way too close to the '360' on the Xbox. There may have been translation issues. If you make up a word, you can't translate it. You have to use 'Wii.' There will be no mistaking to what you're referring.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Sai-kun » Wed May 03, 2006 6:40 pm

Personally, I don't care. Plus, when you go play a game, you don't ask "Wanna go play Dreamcast?" you ask "Wanna go play Sonic Adventure?!" >_> And really, people who make the "wee" jokes need to grow the hell up because that's 4th grade mentality right there. It was okay the first few times, but now it's just stupid.
This is how it all beginS
Sai-kun
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkSakura » Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 pm

But people do say 'I'm going to play Nintendo'.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby MelBofRTF » Fri May 05, 2006 1:08 pm

BTW DS --

You're more likely to run into Rey Mysterio or Rob Van Dam this year. They'll be @ THQ promoting WWE RAW vs. Smackdown 2007. w00tz.
MelBofRTF
Website Staff
Website Staff

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)