Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 181 4/16/06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:34 pm

16-bit wrote:A cheaper option is to just modify your US duo to make it region free. Heck, there is even a guy in SF who does mods...you could probably drop your duo off at his place. http://multimods.com/

Maybe you're not aware, but Duos ARE region-free. I have a number of Japanese CD games. The issue is the HuCard, which has a different pinset in each country. There are no good converters, so the easiest thing is to have a Japanese system. The second bad thing is that the US Duo is not Arcade Card equipped, nor can read the Japanese Arcade HuCard. The easiest option is to just own a Duo-RX, which has the Arcade Card built in.

IchibanCrush: Yeah, I haven't been able to track it down either, but maybe I should write Sega and ask them if they hold the lisence...hm. It's an idea.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby krispykreme » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:45 pm

I'll finally be able to listen to this!!! YAY. I'm getting my iPod back from Apple tommorow!!! Now I need to figure out how to get my podcasts/music on it. (I'm grounded)
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:54 pm

DarkSakura wrote:
16-bit wrote:A cheaper option is to just modify your US duo to make it region free. Heck, there is even a guy in SF who does mods...you could probably drop your duo off at his place. http://multimods.com/

Maybe you're not aware, but Duos ARE region-free. I have a number of Japanese CD games. The issue is the HuCard, which has a different pinset in each country. There are no good converters, so the easiest thing is to have a Japanese system. The second bad thing is that the US Duo is not Arcade Card equipped, nor can read the Japanese Arcade HuCard. The easiest option is to just own a Duo-RX, which has the Arcade Card built in.

IchibanCrush: Yeah, I haven't been able to track it down either, but maybe I should write Sega and ask them if they hold the lisence...hm. It's an idea.

I'm aware. What I meant was modifying the card slot. Otherwise your US duo will not be able to read the arcade card duo card ( or if you have a regular TG16 CD you can mod it as well, but you will need an arcade card pro).

The only difference between a Duo RX and a Duo is that it was the last version of the duo released (so it has less milage), came with a 6 button pad instead of the standard two button pad, and there are some asthetic differences on the shell. I also think it might not have a headphone jack. It does not come with an arcade card built in

I don't know if you have seen the prices on Duo RXs, but modding your existing duo to run the arcade card is way cheaper. With the money saved you could buy a mint and complete Panoramma Cotton and Magical Chase. :D

Before I forget, you can also get an adapter to play Japanese hu cards and the arcade card. They are fairly obscure, but the good one (the kisado) is fairly affordable.

Re: PSP Titles

Postby skie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:02 pm

robbway wrote:
(Skie is kicking my ass on Tally Mode)

play the levels on black belt, your scores will be like 7 times higher.

oh and robb, i couldn't put my finger on what was bugging me about mutant storm during the show (sometimes it's hard when i'm silly and don't make notes to read off of, i probably should...)... but i think you hit the nail on the head. geometry wars is non-stop. mutant storm, while a very pretty game in it's own way, is a little more "stop and go"

also, the price :P
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:11 pm

I've had several converters and not a one of them worked well, even the Kisado. On top of that, I don't believe in modifying a classic gaming system, especially a TurboDuo. They're not the easiest thing to come by and I prefer leaving all of my systems as I originally bought them. I don't mind spending money on other systems. Besides, I have no need to use converters; I own a PC-Engine Core II. I specifically want an RX for the controller and the ability to use an Arcade Card reliably. I have several Arcade CDs and would like to play them. :P

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not used to too many people who know anything about the Duo.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:11 pm

skie wrote:
VxJasonxV wrote:By the way... what was that "14:59 and counting" ? I didn't quite catch the reference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_minutes_of_fame
*facepalms*
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Reenee » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:57 pm

VxJasonxV wrote:
skie wrote:
VxJasonxV wrote:By the way... what was that "14:59 and counting" ? I didn't quite catch the reference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_minutes_of_fame
*facepalms*

*shoves palm* :P
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:15 am

Part B

No Nintendo DS download station near you? Build your own! ... Xbox live to be free again during E3... Oblivion sets sales records... Saints Row demo headed to Xbox live... Martial Arts MMO on the way out... Games that defined the Dreamcast... Burnout revenge gets XBox live update... Jackie-poo sues Florida Bar... Japanese Police agency investigates video games... Nintendo DS gets TV Tuner... Sudoku Gridmaster... New Mario Bros to have Wi-Fi mini games... Civilization 4 development kit... Alone in the Dark to make a comeback?... Gitaroo Man coming to PSP's... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: PSP Titles

Postby robbway » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:28 am

skie wrote:
robbway wrote:
(Skie is kicking my ass on Tally Mode)

play the levels on black belt, your scores will be like 7 times higher.

That worked like a charm. I only went to level 7 so that you can kick-butt later. Tally Mode, for whatever reason, kicks you back to the main menu after each level. I played thru the whole game last night, and you do spend more than 50% of the time just waiting for the next round to start. This wait time is the weakpoint of the game and almost makes it unplayable.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:26 pm

LOKI! Do not discuss hentai if you're not prepared to take a flaming... *gauntlets*

Oh hay, wait, melee is for losers.

*railgun*
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 am

So basically even though I have my iPod back my parents won't let me have OLR on my iPod because they think its helping cause me to get bad grades. Once my grades come back up and they consistant hard work/good grades they will let me put podcast's back on my iPod.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:01 am

I'll get this out of the way first...

I've had a really horrible week, and an even worse day; got rained on, had a hit of depression kick in, and generally I've been lazy today which isn't very common. But... when I heard you guys actually quote one of my babblins on my drive back home (in the pouring rain while carefully driving home), and quote it better than I could probably say it vocally, and just as ranty, that alone made me shout "WOO HOO~!". It really was refreshing to hear that someone actually listens to my babblin'. So for that...

Now, rather than go on a series of wild tangents, I have a Dreamcast question of sorts. Recently I read about what seems to be an extremely interesting import title called (don't laugh) L.O.L. (I said don't laugh). I think it stands for, "Love Of Life". I haven't had much luck finding it even in the dark back alleys of the blindeye black markets, so I haven't actually played it, but it looks extremely interesting. You control an amoeba that does amoeba type absorbtion. I've heard it's less like what we've seen of spore and more of an actual RPG. It's supposedly one of those neglected classics. I was just wondering if anyone's ever taken it for a ride long enough to form an opinion.

Also, Industrial Spy. This one I have played, but not for very long. I was kind of overwhelmed with a ton of other games at the time to really give it a fair chance, but despite really blatant flaws and pisspoor reviews, it seemed to have a lot of charm and unique gameplay. I don't think it'd be a game that would define the DC, seeing as to how it was a remake of a (I think) a PCE title, but I think it may certainly fall under the "underrated" catagory.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkSakura » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:05 am

I've heard of L.O.L. I think I saw it on one of the online shops I used to frequent a while back, but I haven't seen it in a while. Definitely an obscure one. I think I passed it up 'cause anything too kanji-intensive sort of is a no for me. I read maybe thirty of them and most of that is numbers.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Spikepoint » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:19 pm

LOL in this instance stands for Lack Of Love, if I recall correctly. I seem to remember it coming out in early 2001, like in maybe Febuary.

I'm not condoning or promoting ISO downloading, but in the interest of being informative, it's worth mentioning that this title is often torrent'd due to it's relative obscurity among the hardcore DC fandom (which is still going rather strong, in some circles.. yay).

I don't recall any serious gaijin protection, but sometimes I don't even notice...

More infos can be found here
http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/DC/lackoflove/

~spike
Spikepoint
New Listener
New Listener

Previous

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)