Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 181 4/16/06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 181 4/16/06

Postby skie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:39 am

Whoops, forgot to make this last night:

14:59 and counting... We respond to the news article on our website that generated a lot of buzz this week regarding upcoming Konami releases... We mention some OTHER games that weren't in our initial announcement... Does noone watch online game TV?... Playstation 2 dropping by 20 dollars?... Playstation 3 at E3?... Out of this World to be re-released in high resolution... Bank Shot Billiards 2 gets high res update... Final Fantasy XI Expansion to be turned on after it's released... IEMA and VSDA to merge... Guitar Hero controller hacked... Spike Lee movie is critical of game violence... Cold Fear headed to big screen... Kingdom Hearts 2 hits 2.5 million sold... Metroid Prime 3 at E3?... Burger King to get in the XBOX360 madness and MORE...!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Just wanted to say that there is at least one person here that listens to podcasting on a portable MP3 player; you guys make my Monday and Thursday comutes to work/school bearable. Other days it's just Penn Gillette or Pacific Coast Hellway (which is becoming less and less funny, and more recycled, but I still gotta respect the guy). Never listened to Diggnation, but PCH has declared them like their sworn enemy or some shit. Yeah, I don't know either.

Also, the usual The Ichi brand spill:

~The big boys seem to be making a big deal over some list that retailers get on a regular basis. Granted, I'm glad you guys got some attention, but I can't help but to think it was a slow news week for them.

~CLASSIC GAMES SHOW! PLEASE!! AND DON'T FORGET TO DISCUSS CLASH AT DEMONHEAD!

~Brøderbund (sad that I have alt+0248 memorized) is more or less just a fossil of it's old self. They mostly just deal with crappy budget stuff (they STILL have The Print Shop). Anyway, they're not the guys you'll want to look at for a Guardian Legend sequel, as they were just an American distributor.

...sadly, the ones you want to look at... are Compile. And they're dead. GL was a spinoff of an MSX title of theirs called Guardic. I don't really know much about it, other than it was supposedly a fairly decent shmup' for it's time. Maybe I should actually bother to fire up that MSX emulator, you guys bringing it up has me curious.

~"Kid Video"! THANK YOU. I've been trying to remember the name of that show for like for-frickin'-ever. I love you guys almost as much as pie!
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Reenee » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 pm

TheIchibanCrush wrote:Other days it's just Penn Gillette or Pacific Coast Hellway (which is becoming less and less funny, and more recycled, but I still gotta respect the guy).

*tap-tap* All Games is daily.

And they say swears, just like OLR. :3
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby hitstun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:39 pm

For a long time, my usual podcasts were OLR, Diggnation, the Overnightscape, and Dailysonic. Lately, I've listened to a couple episodes of Penn Jillette, I've just started listening to the All Games shows, and I still need to check out dreamstation.cc .

Also, there might be hope for Compile properties to see sequels. Puyo Puyo games are being made by Sonic Team now. I'd say they probably own the rights to Guardian Legend and the Aleste series as well.

Um, online game TV? Was this even talked about? You mean Retro Core? I know there's got to be somebody other than me here watching that every month. And what about Gametap's stuff?
hitstun
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Hmm, I wanna look into the Compile situation now. I thought Sega had only purchased the rights to PuyoPuyo and not the entire catalog. I could be wrong and I hope I am. Here's praying that SOMEONE reliable has those rights, not just for Guardic, but also for the "X Crush" pinball games. (EDIT: Naxat published the Crush pinball games, they may still own the rights if they're still around)

You know I haven't listened to All Games or many of the other shows in it's network yet , but I probably will eventually as I predict I'm probably going to have more forced listening time. Only other All Games distributed show I've listened to was one episode of Blackwolf, and it wasn't the whole thing, there was something specific at the time I was listening for and just fast-forwarded to it.

Come to think of it, Blackwolf's pratically in my neck of the woods, why HAVEN'T I subscribed to him yet if only to plausibly state I support local efforts?

I've heard a few other gaming podcasts. Because I didn't actually enjoy the other ones I've heard (not including Blackwolf's as I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire thing), I'm not going to mention any of 'em by name; I'm not about to kick anyone down who's putting an effort, and someone might like it so what's my opinion matter? OLR is the first one I heard that I really Really REALLY liked, and I'm not even that big into Bemani. It was the first one of the pack I heard that... *GASP* had hosts with personalities that didn't bore the everloving hell out of me.

Oh, and at least one Duo owner. Because I'm a sucker for PCE/Turbo luvins.

With that said though, while I'll probably add another show in the mix, I don't want my ENTIRE podcast lineup to be gaming stuff. I gotta have some variety of discussion in the mix somewhere. And a health rotation of J-rock that doesn't suck.

yeah, it exists.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Fry » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:00 pm

I don't know whether this was posted in chat or not, but the people who bombed the funeral in WoW were Serenity Now. You can find variations of the attack on google video, and other sites.
Fry
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:38 pm

hitstun wrote:And what about Gametap's stuff?
GameTap's stuff is short.
VERY short.
That said, I check out the new material every Thursday, and with the debut of GametapTV (an expanded/upgraded version of the MediaPlex), I can now go back and look at older content.

Shappy's Game Poetry rules, by the way.

By the way... what was that "14:59 and counting" ? I didn't quite catch the reference.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby skie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:39 pm

VxJasonxV wrote:By the way... what was that "14:59 and counting" ? I didn't quite catch the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_minutes_of_fame
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

A Spike Lee Joint

Postby robbway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:18 am

I saw Inside Man. The scene with the video game is a kid, about 11 yo, playing PSP. They show the screen such that it fills the entire movie screen, so the graphics are way too good to be PSP. Still, that scene is HILARIOUS! It reminds me of the over-the-top games (like decapitation boxing) they invented for The Simpsons.

The movie really doesn't address violent games, but rather age-appropriateness. The "bad guy" asks him how old he is, and then he says something like "I need to talk to your father." At the same time, it was ironic, because he was a bank-robber apparently capable of all sorts of violence and he's worried about a game?

On Jamie's "Circle of Rob," I hope someone chooses the Leonard Nimoy-style handle, "IamnotRob" (...and yes, it IS my bag, baby)
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:21 am

I actually knew the whole story behind The Guardian Legend, but I focused on the US distribution. I wish I had a working MSX emulator so I could play the two from the MSX (I found two different ones...). The hubby got one running for Metal Gear 2, but at the time I was a little too busy.

Hey, anyone who's into Duo gaming is cool in my book. I wish to hell they'd translate Emerald Dragon. I'm trying to convince Dan to pick up a Duo-RX so I can play Strider and Sapphire.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:30 am

I picked up RuMSX, which doesn't seem to run a lot of MSX stuff I've found. Dunno if it's the best one, but it pretty easy to set up. I found Guardic for MSX1 (I've only found one version) and gave it a whirl. There are elements of GL that are obvious, like the music, the little puffball shop people and some of the type of weapons you can equip your ship. But in terms of gameplay, the two are extremely different. Even GL's overhead shooter portions are much different.

Also, Guardic's level of difficulty is sick. GL was just challenging. Guardic is sadistic, even for back in the day when a chunk of games were supposed to be difficult.

EDIT: Forget RuMSX. blueMSX seems to work the best, and just as easy to use.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:06 am

Guardic was the first one. Guardic Gaiden was the second one and is what became The Guardian Legend. I guess people complained about the first one, maybe?
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

PSP Titles

Postby robbway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:15 am

This year seems to be a carbon-copy of last year's PSP games. Rengoku 2, Untold Legends 2, Death Jr., and Metal Gear Ac!d 2. I'm sure there will be more. Considering the critics of the PSP complained about the lack of good games at launch, wouldn't it have been better to avoid sequels of those games?

Also, on another topic from part A, I really like Mutant Storm Reloaded. It's biggest problem is the amount of time between levels. About 50% of game time is load time on the earlier levels (1-20). Geometry Wars is non-stop action.

(Skie is kicking my ass on Tally Mode)
Last edited by robbway on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:32 am

DarkSakura wrote:
Hey, anyone who's into Duo gaming is cool in my book. I wish to hell they'd translate Emerald Dragon. I'm trying to convince Dan to pick up a Duo-RX so I can play Strider and Sapphire.

A cheaper option is to just modify your US duo to make it region free. Heck, there is even a guy in SF who does mods...you could probably drop your duo off at his place. http://multimods.com/

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you said you found two different versions of Guardic, not including TGL/Guardic Gaiden. My mistake. Yeah, if anyone's gonna complain about either game, it's gonna be Guardic. I don't want to say it's a bad game, just extremely difficult.

As far as I could dig up on who (if anyone) might own the rights to Guardic, I haven't been able to unearth much. Seems there was a property or two Compile sold to Taito, but I couldn't find an entire listing. But, seeing as to how Compile had a very close relationship with Sega, in addition to Taito currently being close with 'em, Sega's the most likely company to pester to resurrect TGL.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)