Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 177 3 / 20 / 06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 177 3 / 20 / 06

Postby skie » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 am

More Playstation 3 information announced by Sony... Final Fantasy XII hits shelves... Is the Nintendo Revolution really coming in June?... Miyamoto reacts to the PS3 announcement and comments on Zelda: Twlight Princess... The process of production... PS3 hard drives will be standard... 100 gig XBox 360 drive was a rumor... We dispel April Fools myths... Starforce says sorry for the pirating... Head of Sonic team to leave Sega?... Katamari Damacy no more... Walk of Game 2006... Frogger turns 25... UK News... Release dates and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Gamer Points Can Be Helpful

Postby robbway » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 am

To comment on Skie's Gamer Points:

Gamerpoints are an excellent comparison of skill on individual games (except for Crystal Quest). What Microsoft should use them for is tournaments. If you open up a tournament for Geometry Wars, for example, why not have tiers based on qualifying Gamer Point levels. You could have it free to download, but only players with 80% (160-175 pts), 90% (180-195 pts), and 100% (200 pts) in regular Geometry Wars will unlock the game. There's your great, expert, and professional classes right there.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

My input on show 177

Postby Graywulf » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Just want to say thanks for a good podcast forum..

For my part on the point of where the gaming industry is going. I agree and disagree first I have always thought the same way that games even when they were side scrollers or even blips I would play them for hours.

Where I disagree is that I dont want to keep playing my old games forever.. and even tho I will download Castlevania to my PSP because I will never get enough of that side scroller, I will still be playing an old game on new hardware.

In general I dont like the thought that we should just keep it to the game for whats the purpose of buying a 2 to 4K$ PC just to play games that I could play on a 10$ old 8bit.. I like Hardware maybe im a powermongering Ahole. But I like Control the whole reason I like computers to create and control things.. And if Sony wants to create a system that does it all more power to them if you dont want it dont buy it.

Just like I didnt Buy the Xbox for reasons of having to buy more stuff to get it to do something that it should of been capable of out of the Box.

And yes I do own a Cellphone with Itunes for I do like to drive around and plug in a tape adapter and listen to my top 100 songs with no commercial interuptions.

Oh and on a side note Yes I am addicted to FF 11 although I dont go on as much as I used to only because alot of players have deserted the game for its issues of taking too much time to form a good party to level

And the fact thats its all about leveling turned me away and I started crafting then the fact that crafting has become too damn expensive made me stop playing alltogether but now I go on and do some quest and run around run around or just do my pattented strut through each city.

Yes I have no side life lol.

Time is taken up by using my PC searching for new news about the PSP/PS3 playing PS2 for BF2MC and FFXI as well as waiting for another Podcast from OLR on my PSP on top of selling Cell phones at RadioShack full time, and keeping up with my Artwork in the mean time.

Well peeps dont hate I have to be real.. hope to hear more from you all on my PSP late...
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Real Life Frogger

Postby robbway » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm

There was a Seinfeld episode where George tried to keep his high score on Frogger from the 80s. To do so, he had to buy the machine (so that no one could beat it) and simply get it across the street. They used a top-down view of the scene, and I think they used Frogger sound effects as George and Jerry (or one of the guys) jumped back and forth between cars with the arcade cabinet.

I can't remember how the machine gets destroyed or how the scores are lost, but I'm sure the "wacky plan" didn't work.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 pm

robb-- oh hell i TOTALLY forgot about that episode of seinfeld, that's a classic! i was never "huge" into seinfeld but i certianly respect it's place in tv pop culture and it had some unforgettable episodes like that one (well except for last night when i forgot, lol)

also... re: achievement points... that's a good concept you have there... but on a game like geometry wars which has a leaderboard anyway, why couldn't they just have the cutoffs for like top 1000 scores, top 10000 scores, top 100000 scores or something like that? it's probably not exact but... people at the top are probably the ones with all the gamer points and people towards the bottom (like me, lol) only have 25 or so.

graywulf-- thanks for the comments. did you actually type that from your psp?? if so, color me impressed. if not... well we still appreciate the feedback :D
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheIchibanCrush » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Listened to Part A today on the commute. I work sunday nights, so I'm not around to listen to the live shows. ._.

Skie, you mentioned going back to FFXI on the Seraph server? I played there for about a year, and I can tell you, that's a pretty peaceful server compared to the drama cesspool I hear from other servers. I know you're really just looking for a clean start, but if for some reason you need some high level help, I still talk with people from my old LS. A good friend of mine (former roommate in fact) just hit endgame, and she's basically just looking for folks to help out. If you change your mind and need a hand, PM me or somethin' (this board has a private message thingamabobber, right?), and I can drop you a her name.

Oh Seraph, how I miss thee... but alas... real life's gotta come first.

Speaking of FF shiznits, I'm actually looking forward to FFXII. I mean, really looking forward to it. I haven't actively looked forward to an FF game since FFVII. I don't think I could emphasize how much I want an early release for an English version. I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game. Though word on the street states that the Famitsu perfect 40 might have been a bit... well... I wouldn't bank expectations on that alone. It's not perfect, but the way I'm understanding it, it blows the last three games (not including Yunie's Angels, I mean, X-2) out of the water. There have been gripes about camera angles.

Truth be known, I loves some Katamari as much as the next bloke, but I'm actually kind of relieved myself that they're taking their bows and leaving while they're still at the top. The fact that they did the PSP game kind of bothers me. And while I would have loved to see the system on PS3, I'm actually a bit more happy that it gets to end of a happy note rather than being a dying horse waiting to get their spine caved in with a 2x4. It's one of the few times I get to see a good series die with dignity intact.
TheIchibanCrush
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:40 am

TheIchibanCrush wrote:And while I would have loved to see the system on PS3, I'm actually a bit more happy that it gets to end of a happy note rather than being a dying horse waiting to get their spine caved in with a 2x4. It's one of the few times I get to see a good series die with dignity intact.
I couldn't agree any more with this...
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

PS3 Delays

Postby robbway » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:33 am

Since Sony made it official to delay PS3 release (as if they had a choice), I'm kind of relieved. It's one less system to buy, it's one less system with no game library, and it's one less system rendered obselete. Staggering the systems out allows them all to succeed. When the next system, be it Sony's or Nintendo's, I'll be good and ready for it.

And two more bits on Frogger. The Atari 2600 version was incredibly good, as was the sequel Three-Deep. The main difference in Three-Deep was the three levels:
1) Go from bottom to surface of pond (which is next to the road)
2) Cross the road (old Frogger-style)
3) Fly up into the clouds

Okay, that last ones a stretch, unless your poor Frogger goes all Roomba and ascends into Froggy Heaven.

One more comment on the Bejewelled 2. Yes the game is pretty and polished. The voice that says "Good!," "Excellent," and "Welcome to Bejeweled 2" sounds completely demonic.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 am

re: Seinfeld

He gets it across...the road, but a semi still manages to destroy it.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Oh yeah (skie) im on an older server Ramuh its gotten dead lately for like I said before too much time to get a party going.

But about drama I went through 3 linkshells because of member spats and members taking sides ..
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Part B is up!

Buyouts and Acquisitions... Battlefield 2 demo to come to Xbox Live soon... Silent Hill Remake announced... Viva Pinata announced... Two articles on Girls and Video Gaming spark debate... Go to jail, play video games?... Spam on Xbox Live... Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan information... Square Enix working on new MMO... Video Game Voters Network... What would you memorize for an Xbox... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Illusion » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Does anyone have the Afterbirth portion of this show recorded? I missed most of it and I'd like to listen to it.
Illusion
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Pretty In Pink

Postby robbway » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:40 am

Your Reject-False-Pink-Icons section was so very true! My pet peeve is the "pink aisle" at the toy store. The toys themselves are great, but the concept that all little girls must play with these toys and only these toys is crazy. Let me see, 1 pink aisle vs. 27 non-pink aisles. Which child is being discriminated against, the boy or the girl? And that argument that boys drive toy sales is illogical. There are approximately 50% girls and 50% boys, so girl-targeted toys should be at least half of all toys.

The truth is that girls who are tech savvy, play video games, and/or show individuality are only different that they don't stick to the stereotypes for the sake of maintaining them. And that scares people. It might lead to dancing.

Boobs and a Uterus, TWO BITS!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Pretty In Pink

Postby Reenee » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:48 am

robbway wrote:Boobs and a Uterus, TWO BITS!

*in the tone of a Rabbi*
Ka-hymen!
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am

I'M GROUNDED AND MY IPOD BROKE. I've still yet to listen to this week's podcasts. I might not be able to listen to them at all.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)