Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

dark sakuras advice

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

should dark sakuras advice be axed

yes
43%
no
57%

Total votes : 21

dark sakuras advice

Postby simel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:46 pm

this is a thread to all out there who listen to olr podcast. if u think dark sakura should keep her advice section please reply to this thread.

thank u
128 hours on FF8 and so worth it!
simel
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 am

Perhaps I am mistaken, but wasn't most of the advise taken from a book on avoiding extraodinary circumstances and not advise from Dark Sakura herself?

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:03 pm

It was from the Worst Case Scenario Survivial Handbook. I started it as a joke because it was so unlikely anyone would have have to follow it. I really don't care if I keep it going or not.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby krispykreme » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Heh. I think it was funny. I enjoyed listening to it...but if it gets canned i wouldn't be all "BRING IT BACK."
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Move on

Postby caesar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 am

I really like your podcast. But, I think it's important for you to keep it fresh and not formulaic. I will be interested to see what the live element brings.
Skie always says the "games that don't suck" line, and the "if all we ever did was play games" line....It's fine that you have a tagline for show branding purposes - but after 50 podcasts - don't get in a sophomore slump....The advice column was a funny diversion, for one show, not a regular gig....Why don't you spend some time on what relates to your audience? Why do we play games? Your listeners are niche non casual gamers...that anticipate your hour or so of dialogue - they are game fanatics. What makes them tick? What issues are they facing in life? How do they relate to their non gamer friends/family? Don't get me wrong - I want to hear the news - but I can get that from Joystiq. Who are you? Who is your listener? That is what will hook people.
caesar
New Listener
New Listener

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:22 am

Or the real question: Does Mr. T listen to your podcast?
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:59 pm

caesar, that's some good honest feedback, thanks... you're on the right track when it comes to taglines and brands which is why i repeat some of the things i do but i think you're also right on that the live element is going to be *great* to really shake it up and get the audience involved which will hopefully help us avoid any slumping. i totally agree with what you say about trying to be more than the news... i don't want to be a "read slashdot" podcast. there's plenty of that already available ;) . we're also starting to get more agressive with booking and interviews as well, i'm hopeful we can in this next "season" of our show, keep that same vibe that we had going between the 3 of us but allow many many other people to come into that.

but, in defense of the advice column-- i think the reason we did it for so long is that we wanted to remind people in a *very* tounge in cheek way that "hey, there's a whole world out there outside of games don't forget". but i understand why jamie wants to end it at this point and i think there's other inventive ways we can get that same point across.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:34 pm

You could always add in Mr T's advice column:

Don't do drugs, stay in school, and drink your milk!
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 pm

16-bit wrote:Perhaps I am mistaken, but wasn't most of the advise taken from a book on avoiding extraodinary circumstances and not advise from Dark Sakura herself?
That's part of the joke.

See DS's post in the current episode thread.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby caesar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Just my two cents Skie - like I said I really like your podcast better than the other 4 or five I listen to....It tends to be more coherent - my favorite part is to find out what you guys are playing this week. More of that would be great. Interviews are cool, but I look forward to hearing from real gamers...as long as they aren't twelve year olds.

Podcasts I listen to ...Gamers Daily (hardly daily) The Video Games Show, PGR, Major Nelson, NerdBlurb.
caesar
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Jodru83188 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Bring it back!!
Jodru83188
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)