Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #52: Week of 12/26/05 - 1/1/06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #52: Week of 12/26/05 - 1/1/06

Postby skie » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:01 pm

Our favorites of 2005... More Xbox 360s shipping... Zelda Twlight Princess to utilize Revolution Controller... Unreal Tournament 2007 on the PS3... Extensive Review of Gametap... Xbox Live Diamond... Innovation in Gaming... WalMart to stockpile Xbox 360s... Microsoft's secret CES move?... This week in LORD VOLDEMORT antics and much more...

*One day late due to the holidays... deal :P
*As a followup, we did not decide bid on the domain mentioned in the show (turns out the 60 dollar fee was just a minimum bid)
*Apologies for my mic, the damn thing keeps cutting in and out.
*I unknowingly made a "regional joke" in the show... for those abroad, Fresh Choice is a popular chain of salad bar style restaurants. http://www.freshchoice.com/
*Holiday song at the end is from our pals at http://www.dreamstation.cc
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby krispykreme » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:20 pm

Haha. My family made me play Trivial Pursuit for Kids.

I won.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby sephiroth1215 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:38 pm

Honestly I didn't care for gametap and canceled it after a few weeks. It had some good games and all but either nothing I didn't have already or something I didn't care about. Not to mention everytime I wanted to play Gunstar Heroes it crashed my computer (they're lucky that I just got the sequal).

I'm sad that christmas is over though, I love the holiday season :(
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby krispykreme » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:42 pm

sephiroth1215 wrote:I'm sad that christmas is over though, I love the holiday season :(
Me too. I love christmas.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby krispykreme » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:32 pm

Hehe. You mentioned me.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby sephiroth1215 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:03 pm

By the way there is an advertisement to reserve Halo 3 at my FYE. I also think I saw some sneaking around of 360's in my EB.......the day after christmas when there is no hype needed for the holiday.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby krispykreme » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:24 pm

sephiroth1215 wrote:By the way there is an advertisement to reserve Halo 3 at my FYE. I also think I saw some sneaking around of 360's in my EB.......the day after christmas when there is no hype needed for the holiday.
Lol.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby skie » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm sure stores will let you pre-order a PS4, Xbox720, Final Fantasy 37 and Madden 2015 as long as you'll give them your 5 dollars :P
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:37 am

I'm reading that article that Jamie mentioned on Gamespot.
For the curious, Better Medicine: What does the game industry have against game innovation?

My thoughts thus far:
GameSpot Article wrote:Schafer thinks there's more to be learned from the film industry about fostering innovation, but not everything will work for games.
You know who's leading the race?
Steam (limited availability) and Microsoft/Xbox Live (Wide AND EXPANDING availability)

I mean, hello!
Steam: HALF LIFE 2, VALVE'S ENTIRE BACK CATALOG+Mod ability. And now, Rag Doll Kung Fu, and Darwinia!

Xbox: Xbox Live Arcade, and hi, who can forget, GEOMETRY WARS?

There's a lot to learn, there's a lot to it, and there's a lot going for it.
2006 is going to be a good year for digital delivery/digital distribution (as long as companies can hold their own in bandwidth and system stability).

We just need a crossplatform iTunes ('ish) repository for games. One compatible for all the neXt gen system (PS3, 360, NinRevo) AND EVEN PC. Gametap has a start, but they're squarely classics for now. I wonder if they'll branch and start going future-bound...

And reading through some of the comments on that entry;
Farcical wrote:Nintendo's innovation is more drastic, because it needs to be. The company lacks third party support and has gone from undisputed market leader to last in the console race. They NEED to do something different, because they need the money.
(Emphasis mine)
1) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's funny.
Money? Hardly.
2) Last in the console race: Yes, but not the portable race. Not for a bad reason though, the Gamecube has a flurry of amazing games. I don't know why I don't own a gamecube, though going Revolution and back ordering might be my niché next year :-).

Also from Farcical:
Farcical wrote:Oh, and if anyone else wants to blow the 'Nintendo innovation' horn, go and take a look at Mario Party, Party 2, Party 3, Party 4, Party 5, Party 6 and Party 7. Or Mario Baseball. Or Strikers. Or perhaps Sunshine. Or Mario Kart DD. The same character in over 100 games. No studio in the history of gaming has ever reused intellectual property to that extent.
Almost every party has added something new and original.
MP1 Was a BLAST, but it also was very damaging (N64 controllers, rest in piece).
MP6 was the microphone IIRC?
MP7 was the shared controller 8 player gaming fest.
And uhhh, I didn't play the ones in between enough.

I have not played any of the Mario Sports series outside of Tennis. Tennis was a blast.
If there's one thing Nintendo does right, is they make GAMES, not MOVIES (Xenosaga, anyone?).

Quick to start, quick to end, fun THE WHOLE TIME THROUGH (hi, Smash Brothers! hi, Mario Party Mini Game Island!)

Mario Kart Double Dash... was the biggest innovation to arcade (not simulation, of course) racing EVER. COOP, plus powersliding (better than it's SNES predecessor), and so many beautiful tracks.
Oh yeah, network play, I played in a (13? 14?) massive LAN party once. It was hella fun.
But quite disappointing that Nintendo dropped the ball on Gamecube network support.

I'll also say this:
Mario 64 was and still IS my favorite adventure game.
Mario 64DS was a healthy revival with some cool new features. I think it classifies as my FAVORITE launch title EVER (supersceeding Mario 64 as my original favorite, of course).
Mario Sunshine was mezmorizing. It was FUN, it was CHALLENGING, it was EXPANSIVE, and yes, it was CUTE.
The amount of originality in that game WAS present, and how much you could do in the environment keep me going each gaming session.
I loved Sunshine, for the same reasons as MK64/MK64DS.

To get back on topic, Farcical is an idiot for not realizing that GAMES CHANGE EVEN IF CHARACTERS DON'T. (Hi, Mario RPG/Mario Bros. SuperStar Saga/Mario Bros. Partners in Time)
[/soapbox]

Oh, and by the way skie.
I'm going to pre-order my Xbox 1080 tomorrow, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :)
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Reenee » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:11 am

The Mario 64 level structure was a mistake. When I first played Mario Sunshine, I was irked to find out later tha M64 was also done this way. Wow, let's play the same level EIGHT TIMES OVER.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:14 pm

I liked it because doing that typically pushes you to explore the ENTIRE level.

Tell me, honestly, if you played through Tall Tall Mountain once, climbed all the way up the mountain, got the star, yay, would you ever go back to enjoy that crazy ass slide?

:)
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Yeah even though there are plenty of sequals out that doesn't mean anything. We <3 Katamari might be the same thing but is that so wrong? After the original who didn't crave for more? There was more added to it sure but it is still the same greatness that we all and love and wouldn't want to change that now. There are many others that are like this too, all the metal gear games are the same but also different at the same time and I never get sick of it. Smash Bros. is the best example because all I want is a new one with more characters and more levels but I could care less if it's the same game because it's just that damn good. But with a game like Tekken 5 (which I don't like) I heard such great things about but see it as something really different from some of the other games and learned to not like it because I miss the old formula before Tekken 4 came out. In that case I don't really care for innovation or change in the series.

By the way I was at best buy earlier and heard someone ask if there were any 360's and all that was said was "I don't know". This was in the game section where the people get the new games out and I thought that the way it sounded to me was very suspicious.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:04 pm

Who didn't crave more Katamari after then original? Me! That's who...heh. :P
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:45 pm

BTW Loki, why didn't you like Burnout Legends much? I thought it was pretty decent. Only things I really didn't like about it were you could tell the old tracks by blind places to crash(although the tracks in 3 and 4 just have a better layout). Also fast cars suck to race around the older tracks on, the World Circuit Racer I used to love in 3 and it really sucked in this game just because the older tracks aren't made for the thing at all(and there's no point to use it anymore since it's not online anyway).
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Trivial Pursuit and Stuff

Postby robbway » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:51 pm

It's a good thing Dark Sakura (hey, you could be a Nintendo DS title!) played the board game of Trivial Pursuit. The PS2 version was bad, bad, bad! Load times, bad interface, and not fun.

As for my favorite games this year, its a toughie. I can't use Shadow of the Colossus because of the game-freezing glitches and bad frame rates (at times). I'll break it down to my favorites (most played) by some of the systems:

1) Playstation 2: DDR Extreme 2
Lots of things to do.

2) GBA: Mega Man Battle Network 5
It's not very original, but it sucks time out of life.

3) PSP: Hot Shots! Golf Open Tee
Despite being cartoony, its a great simulation.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)