Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #49: Week of 12/5/05 - 12/11/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #49: Week of 12/5/05 - 12/11/05

Postby skie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:31 am

New Federal gaming regulation bill proposed... Illinois Bill is stricken down though... Final Fantasy XII details including a REAL LIFE POTION... A game to make you cry?... Super FX chip overclocked... December Release Dates... Children of Mana... Star Trek the MMO... Super Smash Brothers on the Revolution... Animal Crossing Wild World and MUCH MORE!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:33 pm

I can't say I'm gonna bother with the Potion. Maybe if I was still an FF fanboy(as I was in the past), just maybe. But as it stands, if I want an energy drink with a catchy name, I'll stick with Pimp Juice. Or maybe some oddball crap found in the Asian market where I can't read the label and it's made of beetle dung or something.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Mr_Wendell » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:34 pm

What the next Super Smash Bros. needs is Little Mac.

That and Virtual Boy Stage...
Mr_Wendell
New Listener
New Listener

Rob-bub Feedback

Postby robbway » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:30 am

You can use "robbway" on the podcast for clarity, unless rob-bub is funnier. Thanks for skipping a lot of the e-mail blitz!

Hot Eye-of-Newt Mod: No one has modded Banjo-Kazooie with Gruntilda hangin' all out there? Green, warty, saggy...okay!

ESRB bill: I kind of agree why the bill is better than most, but there is one major problem. Once ESRB becomes law and in cahoots with FTC, things will be status quo at first. The board will remain untouched, the ratings will stay as-is, and the fringe reactionaries will be mollified. Then the funding goes up for renewal. Roll out the pork barrel! Now every state wants an ESRB! Gimme some funds! We need a M-lite 16+ rating! Sooner, rather than later, the old ESRB, which has the most experienced raters, will be replaced by the pork barrel politicians looking for an edge into Congress. They'll divide the states up into "zones" and distribute the work. Consequently, all games will suddenly pop up "RP." It's a bad idea from a logistics point-of-view.

XBox360 USB 2.0. I've tested it out. I used a 1 gig memory stick. It works great. The only problem is, I can't extract my PGR3 pix, and it only lets you take about 40. I took photos of Vegas to compare with my actual photos. Trust me when I say that Bizzare Creations did a first-rate job on the detail. Also, the Nurmburg circuit appears to be the easter-egg grafitti circuit. None of it means anything to me, but the writings on the road remind me of yearbook scribbles.

Also, I tried the iPod support on USB 2.0. Works great! Download the application from Marketplace (its kind of hard to find, but its called "iPod Support"). Hook up the iPod. Play from music player in the Media section, or from the "X-button" pop-up menu while in games. The player will play MP3 (not advertised) as well as unencrypted AAC files. I tried Hexic, Geometry Wars, Kameo, and PGR3. All games killed the in-game music but kept the sound effects. I don't think Kameo states "custom soundtracks" on the box, and it may be that all 360 games support this feature. If so, "custom soundtracks" probably means an in-game application. I don't recommend replacing Kameo's tracks though, the victory theme in the battleground is just too amazing to miss.

Raising decent kids: Again, I'll preface by saying I don't have kids. It was mentioned that kids always try to get away with stuff. It's my experience that there are some things parents intentionally let their kids get away with. I'm not positive, but I think this improves self-esteem and a healthy independence. Besides, you just can't police everything, so stick to the important stuff.

Jack Sparrow: Yeah, it was a joke, but there are two sequels to Pirates of the Carribean. They were filmed together for some reason. My Disney source, "Deep Mickey," told me that. Although, it was well after the press release. I think the movies will be about 6 months apart in theaters.

RR6: Thanks for liking that game, Dark Sakura! I'm more focused on PGR3 at the moment, but RR6 is a true sequel to the incredibly underrated RRV. I think RRV (PS2 launch title) was the only racing game I played thru twice. There is something I really like about having a bunch of courses that weave throughout a single location. Anyway, if you have the PSP game, you have a "small" idea of the 360 game. The game is ARCADE like Initial D or the "RUSH" titles. There are times when you feel like your car is miraculously navigating on its own. It's about fun, not realism.

Mall Parking Survival: I hate the mall at Xmas. Here's my advice. Don't go on weekends. If you do, go when the first store opens. People simply can't get up in the mornings. Since I'm one of those, go at 5-6pm. Many people leave and/or take a break at that time. Because of that, try for the good spots, as people will be leaving from randomly from the lot. As a corollary, don't try to eat out at nearby restaurants for dinner. Also, check for extended hours, especially on Sunday. Most people don't take advantage of these. Nothing quite beats being at an empty mall at 8pm Sunday night--unless you're working there.

I can't wait for the 50th! Happy Anniversary of sorts!

PS Did anyone else notice that Hexic HD (XB360) plays random music based on several basic riffs? Such an amazing thing in such a minor game. Sorry for the book, but that was a very interesting podcast.

EDIT: My Xbox hasn't crashed, but PGR3 did get hung up during Live Career. The forever loading screen, please wait. My system doesn't seem to get as hot as it used to. Aside from the power brick, the area on the console in most need of ventilation is the back where the cords are. Pull it as far forward from a wall/console back as possible.
Last edited by robbway on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:03 am

I was disappointed with RRV myself. I think I need to play it again to give it a better chance, maybe I didn't try it long enough. But after playing loads of R4(got the import when it first came out, then the US released collectors set) I didn't feel like V was that great at all. Although the PSP game is great, the 360 version is one of the only 360 games that really look like something I'd want to play. Although I think all racing games are not as good after Burnout, even Mario Kart(while still fun) isn't quite as good. It's taken the great racing style of the Rush series and the battle of Mario Kart and made the best thing around. It's hard going back to just the straight racing games with the same enthusiasm anymore.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:53 am

I agree completely that after "hot coffee" things have been going way out of hand and it should've never gone this far. Isn't there more important things to worry about? Like people dying? Anyway at least The Illinois bill was shot down, that will bring hope to the future.

One thing I always thought about is if there will be some way to get movies off my PC to the 360 or even just a hard drive. I don't have media center so I need some other way to see movies I download on my TV without paying more money and having more cords run across the room.

At least there is confirmation for a new SSB and that makes me happy. I would think more about sonic characters being added based on the relationship between sonic team and the creator of SSB. This is what the EGM april fools joke was based on.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Rodney » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 pm

Just a quick clarification on the raised price issue with FFXII in Japan. According to a news story on Gamespot.com:

"Where the typical PS2 new release in Japan goes for 7,140 yen ($59.53), Final Fantasy XII will fetch 8,990 yen ($74.96). That's about $15 more than the norm but still not quite up to the 9,240 yen ($77.05) Square Enix charged for Dragon Quest VIII at its Japanese release last year."

"American gamers who aren't willing to pay a premium for the next Final Fantasy needn't worry too much. Just as Dragon Quest VIII arrived on US shores with the standard price tag, online retailers GameStop and EB Games are likewise asking the expected $49.99 for preorders of Final Fantasy XII."
Rodney
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)