Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #48: Week of 11/28/05 - 12/4/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #48: Week of 11/28/05 - 12/4/05

Postby skie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:18 am

This week we must mention the XBOX 360 launch... 50 Cent says kids should play his game, or does he... The N-Gage is officially dead... Alabama 1, LORD VOLDEMORT 0... Harry Potter Game update... UK & US December Releases... Namco Battle Collection Vol 2... Suikoden 5 limited edition in Japan... Nintendo makes an interesting patent and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:12 am

My wager on the Nintendo 'select your character before your game' patent is a system/profile avatar.

i.e. it has nothing to do with the games itself, but you can choose Mario for your system (or perhaps personal profile?) and he will be YOUR SYSTEM CHARACTER/AVATAR.

He will be your little revolution buddy :-).

Re: Darwinia

Darwinia has actually been available for at least a few months now.
The game is developed by Introversion, who also made the Hacking Simulation "Uplink" (I played that game, I loved it, I bought it. GUILTY AS CHARGED!).

Darwinia is going to be featured on Steam (Valve's (popular for Half-Life 1 and 2) content management software. Also known as the Half-Life 2 release software of DOOM!)
I'm looking forward to it. Although I think I'm going to buy a non-Steam version of Darwinia. I need to play it some more, more than the demo :P.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Two More Pennies of Mine

Postby robbway » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:04 am

Just some comments on the topics from this week:

Shadow of Colossus. The game is 16 boss battles. period. I actually liked the story because it was an "ends don't justify the means" storyline. It did need more, because the "how to get there" terrain puzzles were too easy. Getting to colossus should've included more terrain puzzles, like climbing trees and rocks and mazes. They re-used the colossus models, like the bull or the worm. It would've been better if all 16 were different. As for the top of the temple, you could cheat by "snaking," as Loki said about Mario Kart. Climbing and leaping take energy, but diagonal jumping takes no energy. The FAQs help you get to the roof-garden thru this cheat. But once you climb the castle, you can make the long-and-boring run across the bridge just because you can.

Xbox360. I never had any crashes. But then again, I hooked mine up so quickly that the power brick was hanging above the ground. It adds a little bit of evidence that hanging the power supply is best. The system itself and the game discs get pretty hot, too.

There was a picture of A Clockwork Orange because of the plot of the movie. It was about a gang of hoodlums addicted to "ultra-violence." Violent video games -> ultra-violence -> A Clockwork Orange. When I make word associations like that, no one knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Tidbit: Suikoden Tactics PS2 is out. I haven't cracked the cellophane yet, so I can't tell you if you can use Suikoden game saves or if it has 108 stars. But it has a free soundtrack packed-in. I'm a sucker for the extras.

Speaking of games I've never heard of (but was dumb enough to buy), Tecmo just release Trapt for PS2. It plays just like Deception 3. I'm not sure why they changed the name.

EDIT: The two-"B" Robb is from picking an AOL name in the 90's and "Robway" was taken. Then I just adopted it to the sig.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't find anyone off my friend list to play, although I think I only have skie and loki on there..heh. I have Jason and DJRanma but it still doesn't show anything for them. Not like it matters. I must be on at weird times, I have the same problem with Live, a load of people on that list and I only remember a few of them. I haven't seen any of them on in ages.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:53 pm

Wow you guys, awesome feedback. Seriously-- I love our listeners :D

I've had a "thought" today to re-tool my wednesday show to be a gamer meet-n-greet of sorts, i.e. come play the "game of the week" with me and/or the listners... might be a good way to find opponents at least one time a week but nothing is for sure yet ;)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Sakurina » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:56 pm

I'd like to say that Darwinia and Uplink wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Ambrosia Software, creator of quality Mac games since I was a little baby. :3 REPRESENT.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gs191 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:28 pm

about that story with the best buy employees buying the xbox 360's. At the best buy that i work at, we were not allowed to buy 360's at launch. I know that the best buy on the other side of town, their manager did let there employees buy 360's on launch day. Anyway i couldnt afford that thing anyway with the hourly rate they are paying me...
Admin of the OLR Frappr Map.
gs191
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby lordkaosu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:10 pm

That would suck if your store didn't even let you buy one. They should at least do that. But screwing out the customer so a manager can go sell the system on ebay is a low blow. I definately think it would be fair to give employees first dibs though, like an incentive for working there.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby sephiroth1215 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:06 am

skie wrote:Wow you guys, awesome feedback. Seriously-- I love our listeners :D

I've had a "thought" today to re-tool my wednesday show to be a gamer meet-n-greet of sorts, i.e. come play the "game of the week" with me and/or the listners... might be a good way to find opponents at least one time a week but nothing is for sure yet ;)

That sounds interesting, I don't have Mario Kart though but there are plenty other online console games we can play.....right?
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Blackwolf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:13 am

I so did NOT expect the mention. Thanks, guys! I'm afraid to hear what was going on during the three hour show (since I record my show live at the same time as the three hour OLR show so I can't tune in.)

To add onto the playing of Podcasts on your Xbox 360 while listening - the latest PSP firmware update (2.60) includes streaming of Podcasts by just putting in the RSS feed. I still haven't upgraded from 1.5 so I haven't played around with it at all, but I don't think it'd work in a game or anything. Still, it's another media device jumping onto the bandwagon with us. :>

-Bobby Blackwolf
Blackwolf
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Thanks!

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:16 am

I wanted to thank you guys for publishing a podcast this week! Most podcasts had the week off. You guys go the distance, especially since it's free! :D
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 am

sephiroth1215 wrote:
skie wrote:Wow you guys, awesome feedback. Seriously-- I love our listeners :D

That sounds interesting, I don't have Mario Kart though but there are plenty other online console games we can play.....right?

Then the trick is just to find something everyone has. Most folks got Mario Kart that have a DS and it already goes online so it's a simple solution.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:45 am

seph-- If it happened, the games would rotate, yeah. Not just DS titles.

blackwolf-- Not a problem with the mention :) ... Interesting about the PSP firmware update, I didn't know about that or I somehow missed it. That's part of the whole reason we launched olrpsp.com previously was to make podcasting of our show easy on the PSP. Looks like Sony one-upped us there :P

robb-- Thank YOU for listening this week (this goes for everyone who listens)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:30 am

Sakurina wrote:I'd like to say that Darwinia and Uplink wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Ambrosia Software, creator of quality Mac games since I was a little baby. :3 REPRESENT.
Bwaaaaaa? Introversion made Uplink and Darwinia. Would you like to clue me in on something I know nothing about?

Blackwolf wrote:To add onto the playing of Podcasts on your Xbox 360 while listening - the latest PSP firmware update (2.60) includes streaming of Podcasts by just putting in the RSS feed. I still haven't upgraded from 1.5 so I haven't played around with it at all, but I don't think it'd work in a game or anything. Still, it's another media device jumping onto the bandwagon with us. :>
And I already updated olrpsp to make doing this a LOT easier on the podcasts page. (Assuming it works the way I think it does... I don't have a PSP to test on, outside of a 'PSP sized screen' script to test fonts/positioning/etc.)

Thanks for the heads up Bobby!
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Mr_Wendell » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:56 am

Hi kids...

Just wanted to say thanks for the podcasts. I can't listen to the Sunday live shows (rare occasions, but will someday come to check it out live), but OLR To Go makes my Mondays cool as I listen to it at work in the mornings.

N-Gage...(snicker)...I feel bad for Ross...

Get well soon, DS!
Mr_Wendell
New Listener
New Listener

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)