Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #44: Week of 10/31/05 - 11/5/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #44: Week of 10/31/05 - 11/5/05

Postby skie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:04 am

PS3 & Revolution updates... Florida to follow California's video game bill lead?... Liberty City Stories custom soundtracks... Blizzcon & WoW Burning Crusade... Clarification on the HDTV story thanks to the mailbag... Video Games Live Cancelled... Clock Tower 3 Movie, Dungeon Siege Movie, Starship Troopers game... and more!

hope you all enjoyed!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Reenee » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:11 am

I've yet to hear it. :P

But having Skype in a podcast? How would that work? Pre-recorded before the podcast way beforehand? You guys do it pre-tty late you know. :P
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby metroid_eater » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:15 am

Great show, I loved the piece about skie inviting Christian Bale aka Batman to Dark sakura's Bat Cave!!!
metroid_eater
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby skie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:49 am

metroid_eater-- thanks for the kind words although that was on the 3 hour live show, not the podcast :) (in case anyone gets confused when they see that, LOL)...

Reenee-- we will be integrating skype into the podcast at a later time, wether it be to do interviews with video gaming celebrities *hee hee* or to open up our message line for comments. We're just not sure on the specifics of how that will work just yet :) We know other shows use it to bring in co-hosts sometimes but... that just doesn't work for us, honestly.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 pm

Just FYI, on Midway Arcade 3, Hydro Thunder, Offroad Thunder, and Rush 2049 are all Dreamcast ports, not the arcade. I believe they did this to allow 2 player play. The original arcade took 2 units hooked together to play multiple player. Due to the hassle of changing things around, they just took the DC ports instead. Unfortunately, it means not getting arcade perfect ports, but they are good versions anyway.

I also am starting on the Live show. Only 50 minutes into it so far of ep.161. So I'll still have to listen to last Sunday's show. But so far so good. It's my first live show I've heard, good stuff indeed. But I'll post more on that in the appropriate forum.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:36 am

You know what's funny is since DarkSakura got married, she's hardly on the shows anymore. Looks like married life claims another's free time :P
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:10 am

lordkaosu wrote:You know what's funny is since DarkSakura got married, she's hardly on the shows anymore. Looks like married life claims another's free time :P

It's still much too recent to make a final judgement on that. She was even there for the UnShow for Pete's sake.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Serial Messanger Comments

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:27 am

The easter egg on GripShift credits is a recipe for chili on pasta, I think. It's not too difficult. Honestly, the credits are incredibly long to the point you think you've seen them twice.

I don't know anything about Skype itself, but the VGDJ podcast has each participant record their side, and splices together the conversation after everyone e-mails the recordings in. It's a brute force solution, but it makes the quality better.

I also noticed the Dreamcast port of Rush 2049. They added wings to the cars. The gameplay isn't as good. In fact, on my PS2, the Rush games don't work at all. The camera changes the viewpoint by itself and the cars crash for the slightest thing. The "zip strips" blow my car up on contact. I feel this may be a controller or console problem.

I'm on the penultimate Colossus. It's really a very short game. It's a very beautiful game. The entity that sends you on quests could use a better way to say "thy next quest." It's not giving anything away to tell you to pay attention to the doves in the cathedral. There is one for every Colossus defeated.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

How We'll Remember Gizmondo

Postby robbway » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:56 pm

You said on the podcast that Gizmondo will be remembered as the N-Gage. However, my list of worst handhelds has Games.com was the absolute worst (1 being worst).

1. Games.com. Relatively lo-res B&W late entry in a world of color, had wireless, but no sex-appeal.

2. Gizmondo. You talk about this enough.

3. Virtual Boy. Handheld is debatable. Being nearsighted was a problem. You can't wear glasses or contacts comfortably. Air from fans/rotating mirrors was directed on the players eyeballs! That was smart. Another monochrome entry into a world of color.

3. N-Gage. Too small a screen, too old games, battery/game debacle, can't play arcade games on phones, and Side Talkin'. (However, the voice quality over digital was excellent)

4. Gameboy Micro. The only thing saving this are the games. The screen is too small, and it costs more than the superior SP.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:23 pm

Sadly enough, the gameboy micro is more of a fashion accessory than it is a game system. I don't even think of it when I think of GBA's. LOL.

You're right about game.com though. ugh. interesting though that people suddenly remember it now thanks to the DS though lol.

You know, once at classic gaming expo years ago when I went, someone was showing off a custom made portable CDI... what, so you can play wand of gamelon on the go? WTF??????
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 am

I used to like Virtual Boy, never had a problem with my glasses trying to use it. Only reason I don't use it anymore is I can't focus on it due to some eye problems.

N-Gage was good if you just wanted a fancy phone. I bought the thing looking for a good phone, not a system. Nokia tried to market it as a Gameboy, that was a mistake. Especially since it had the extra cost tied to it that phone have. It wasn't an expensive Gameboy, it was really a cheap Series60 phone(look at the price of other S60 phones compared to the N-Gage). The small screen was due to it being S60, it had the standard S60 screen on it(which is why it had a odd verticle oriented screen, it was originally designed for a phone, not games).

Nokia was stupid for their bad marketing choice, nobody in their right mind would buy this thing to replace their Gameboy. But as a phone for gamers, it was excellent. N-Gage games, and even the Seires60 games are 10x better then most java/brew games on most phones. Which also brings up another problem with the phone. Being designed in Europe where they only use GSM, a GSM phone shouldn't have a problem. But in the US we have GSM and CDMA. Making the phone useless for folks with a CDMA carrier(Verizon, Alltell, Sprint). That cuts off half their market right there at least.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 am

Not to mention that the N-Gage flopped because it was unusable (as a phone) in Japan.
(GDMA <-> GSM differences, yay!)

Thus not justifying the price very quickly.

(Note: GDMA? GDSM? Something like that ...)
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby lordkaosu » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:16 am

Yeah, I forgot about Japan. I don't think Nokia even cares about them, I'm not even sure if they sell phones over there. Japan prefers the flip phones, Nokia rarely makes those(maybe 1 or 2).
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)