Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #43: Week of 10/24/05 - 10/30/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Postby sephiroth1215 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:07 pm

I'll be stopping my EB today to pick up Liberty City Stories and I'm going to see what the manager says about getting 360's. He should tell me the truth since I've known him for about six years now.

EDIT: Perfect Dark Zero better come out by the release because that's the only game I really want.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Freezes

Postby robbway » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:55 pm

If anyone else has problems with PS2 system crash during the 11th Colossus, let me know. I spent hours on the 10th to figure it out. I don't have that kind of time on the 11th because of this crashing problem. I'm really just curious. I just want to continue the game, so I looked it up on GameFAQs. I think I can do what it says before the program bombs. I'm just curious, though I think it's probably specific to my console.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby LOKI » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:53 pm

sephiroth1215 wrote:I'll be stopping my EB today to pick up Liberty City Stories and I'm going to see what the manager says about getting 360's. He should tell me the truth since I've known him for about six years now.

EDIT: Perfect Dark Zero better come out by the release because that's the only game I really want.

The 1st party 360 games (PGR3, KAMEO, and PERFECT DARK ZERO) will be the first released. They are shipping the week of the 7th.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:05 pm

sephiroth1215 wrote:I'll be stopping my EB today to pick up Liberty City Stories.

Just FYI, Liberty City Stories requires the 2.0 upgrade. It's also not the same 2.0 as previously, this one will NOT work with the patch to fool the system due to it looking in a different spot now for the firmware check(similar to what 2.5 was doing I believe). Sony is really bustin' our balls here with these firmware upgrades. So if you use emu's or homebrew on your system, just steer clear until the hackers figure something out.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ssj100matt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:45 am

all i have to say is that the pre-orders for the 360 at EB and Gamestop is like a kidney donor waiting list... Neither store knows how much they are going to get so they have these 100's of preorders where most of those poor folks wont get their 360's till after 2nd shipment unless they put $75-$100 to bump them up the "VIP" list to get their 360 right away... But of course this VIP list is based on when you did your preorder and how much you did it for... So you basically have to bribe your way to be at the top of that list... Ei Kidney Donor list..... Which isnt worth it to me... Especially since the 360's launch date titles are dissapointing (all i would want at launch would be Perfect Dark Zero)... I will wait till this summer to get 360 (spent too much this past month and works not paying me for 4 more weeks)... At least its better than having my local guy at Gamestop or EB telling me "Oh but if you reserve it you will be the first to get it if someone doesnt pick up their 360".... like that will happen...
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby ssj100matt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:48 am

also on the PSP selling 10mill units... at least the Xbox fanboys and Sony haters cant say the PSP is a failure...
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 am

I still hear a lot of negative about the PSP. I love the thing myself, I play the games more then my DS(Castlevania is my first DS game I've really played a lot on, I'm not really a fan of these cheesy games that just try to make use of the touch screen like Feel the Magic though, Yoshi was great fun for a bit thought but got old after a bit). I'd say Burnout and Wipeout are what I've been playing loads of on the PSP itself, plus the emulation is excellent. Can't go wrong with portable whatever-system-you-want(including a Gameboy Color better then the actual Gameboy Color).
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

We Heart PSP

Postby robbway » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:52 am

lordkaosu wrote:I still hear a lot of negative about the PSP. I love the thing myself, I play the games more then my DS(Castlevania is my first DS game I've really played a lot on, I'm not really a fan of these cheesy games that just try to make use of the touch screen like Feel the Magic though, Yoshi was great fun for a bit thought but got old after a bit). I'd say Burnout and Wipeout are what I've been playing loads of on the PSP itself, plus the emulation is excellent. Can't go wrong with portable whatever-system-you-want(including a Gameboy Color better then the actual Gameboy Color).

I love my PSP, too! Most of the time I've had it, I've been playing Untold Legends. Since I finally finished the game--it is NOT short no matter what the reviewers say--I'm back to Hot Shots Open Tee. Add to that that I play Lumines and Namco Museum inbetween. It most certainly is the most powerful handheld to date and doesn't deserve the recent bad press.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:23 am

I do feel that the PSP is somewhat weak compared to the DS, at least currently anyway, when it comes to the game selection, however where the PSP is really shining is when it comes to delivering on the multimedia content. With the new 2.0 browser especially, the PSP is becoming a powerful alternative to a laptop, allowing you to browse the internet and download movie trailers and pictures and music and other things to take with you on the go. I think this holiday season is going to be very interesting for the handhelds, with the DS making a huge push online and the PSP having a new wave of games hitting shelves finally (Liberty City Stories most noteably of course).

Overall though I think it's really interesting just how different the two systems are. In previous handheld competitions, say for isntance, the lynx vs. game gear vs. gameboy, most of the systems were very similar except for the fact two were in color and drained your batteries. There are so many differences between what the DS can do and what the PSP can do that it really puts this "handheld competition" on a whole new level.

p.s. i bought MORE games last night... taito legends based on some previous board posts, and soul calibur III... dunno if i'll get to play enough of either before the next podcast to review them but i have given midway arcade treasures 3 a pretty good test drive :)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Emulators, Bad

Postby robbway » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:49 am

skie wrote:...p.s. i bought MORE games last night... taito legends based on some previous board posts, and soul calibur III... dunno if i'll get to play enough of either before the next podcast to review them but i have given midway arcade treasures 3 a pretty good test drive :)

Kind of like the TECMO collection's Bomb Jack, I can tell that they goofed on the sound effects for Phoenix. They didn't use the right sound samples. It is more annoying than the original. The ship's weapon used to sound like a capgun. I guess that's what the VOL on the remote is for, plus you can adjust it in the global settings.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby lordkaosu » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:30 pm

I think I like my PSP more because I like racing games quite a bit(the arcade style though, not simulation style like Gran Turismo and Forza). I tried Untold Legends when I first got my PSP and didn't care for it myself. I love action-RPG's, just not these Sony ones. I'm not a big puzzle fan either so even Lumines didn't excite me that much. It was a little fun but I actually like the Puzzle Bobble Pocket for it more(coming soon to DS too). They finally brought back the 2 little dinosaurs instead of those oddball characters they've been using lately.

I have yet to take the PSP online, I have a browser to put on there but I'm not sure if it's any good. I damn sure am not upgrading the firmware from 1.5, that'd make my portable SNES and TG16 go away :(

My wife loves the DS, she says it's the best portable to ever be released. I think I'll play it more when Mario Kart comes out, online play is gonna be excellent on that.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Previous

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)