Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #43: Week of 10/24/05 - 10/30/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #43: Week of 10/24/05 - 10/30/05

Postby skie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:51 pm

Xbox 360s coming to a kiosk near you... HDTV to be the way in 2009... Children of Mana updates... Hitman movie updates... PSP sells 10 million units... Penny Arcade vs. LORD VOLDEMORT... Tonights Episode is dedicated to the memory Captain Jack.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Retro Gaming Rules!

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:23 am

Forgive me for not listening to ToGo yet, I didn't update my podcasts today. So this reminder may be redundant:

Taito Legends (Xbox, PS2, and PC) is scheduled for Wednesday release (PC version comes out next week). 29 games including (according to EB):

Space Invaders, Plump Pop, Jungle Hunt, Rastan, Bubble Bobble,
Super Qix, Operation Wolf, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands,
Battle Shark, Operation Thunderbolt, Continental Circus,
Phoenix, Plotting (aka Flipull), Space Invaders Part II, Volfied,
Colony 7, Ninja Kids, Electric YoYo, Space Gun, Zoo Keeper, ThunderFox,
Elevator Action, Tube It, Great Swordsman, Return of the Invaders,
Gladiator, Tokio, Exzisus

I'm hoping that Front Line is on the disk. I really loved Rastan and Jungle Hunt back in the day. Zoo Keeper is one of the first games with an insane amount of objects-that-can-kill-you on the screen.

Jungle Hunt was originally Jungle King but had to change the name/appearance because of a lawsuit being brought against Taito from the Edgar Rice Burroughs trust. They included a sound sample of the famous "Tarzan Yell" along with a loin-clothed feral ape-man. Jungle Hunt features a Doctor Livingstone-type explorer in old Safari gear.

We discussed this about a month ago, but it was worth repeating.

Tecmo collection was okay. Capcom Classics was pretty good. I'm expecting to love Taito Legends, based on the game list. I haven't played Midway Arcade Treasures 3 yet, but with SF Rush and Rush the Rock, you can't lose.

[/i]
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Also Sprach 360

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:35 am

Again, I apologize if this was covered in the podcasts. People desiring XBox360 still have a chance. Judging from the Baltimore aread, it appears that both Target and Toys 'R' Us are not accepting reserves--first come, first served on Xbox360 day.

I also put a reserve at EBGames (I feel used :? ). You're being told up front that the system will most likely be in Jan-Feb. They're not honoring more than one system per household. If you put your reserve in awhile ago, check back and see if they're going to give preference to paid-off system pre-buys. I still expect to see many cancellations on release day.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:41 am

Holy Crap, Rainbow Islands and Zoo Keeper??

*looks at slowly-drying wallet* ... damn these retro collections :?
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: Also Sprach 360

Postby LOKI » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:54 am

robbway wrote:Again, I apologize if this was covered in the podcasts. People desiring XBox360 still have a chance. Judging from the Baltimore aread, it appears that both Target and Toys 'R' Us are not accepting reserves--first come, first served on Xbox360 day.

I also put a reserve at EBGames (I feel used :? ). You're being told up front that the system will most likely be in Jan-Feb. They're not honoring more than one system per household. If you put your reserve in awhile ago, check back and see if they're going to give preference to paid-off system pre-buys. I still expect to see many cancellations on release day.

The second wave of systems are hitting stores on the 1st ord 2nd week of 2006.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: Also Sprach 360

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:13 am

LOKI wrote:The second wave of systems are hitting stores on the 1st ord 2nd week of 2006.

Thanks for the update! That's not that long of a wait, really. This exact same thing happened when my parents went to buy me an Atari 2600. They discovered they couldn't get one before Christmas. Luckily, I have a birthday 6 weeks later--and people hate that.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Retro Gaming Rules!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:33 pm

robbway wrote:Forgive me for not listening to ToGo yet, I didn't update my podcasts today. So this reminder may be redundant:

Taito Legends (Xbox, PS2, and PC) is scheduled for Wednesday release (PC version comes out next week). 29 games including (according to EB):

Space Invaders, Plump Pop, Jungle Hunt, Rastan, Bubble Bobble,
Super Qix, Operation Wolf, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands,
Battle Shark, Operation Thunderbolt, Continental Circus,
Phoenix, Plotting (aka Flipull), Space Invaders Part II, Volfied,
Colony 7, Ninja Kids, Electric YoYo, Space Gun, Zoo Keeper, ThunderFox,
Elevator Action, Tube It, Great Swordsman, Return of the Invaders,
Gladiator, Tokio, Exzisus

I'm hoping that Front Line is on the disk. I really loved Rastan and Jungle Hunt back in the day. Zoo Keeper is one of the first games with an insane amount of objects-that-can-kill-you on the screen.

Jungle Hunt was originally Jungle King but had to change the name/appearance because of a lawsuit being brought against Taito from the Edgar Rice Burroughs trust. They included a sound sample of the famous "Tarzan Yell" along with a loin-clothed feral ape-man. Jungle Hunt features a Doctor Livingstone-type explorer in old Safari gear.

We discussed this about a month ago, but it was worth repeating.

Tecmo collection was okay. Capcom Classics was pretty good. I'm expecting to love Taito Legends, based on the game list. I haven't played Midway Arcade Treasures 3 yet, but with SF Rush and Rush the Rock, you can't lose.

[/i]

I bought Taito Memories 1 & 2 a couple months ago for my JPS2. The ports are fairly spot on unless you are an arcade purist and care about exact resolution and such. Jungle King and Operation Wolf and Thunderbolt weren't on either collection so I'm picking this one up tomorrow or whenever EBgames notifies me that it is in.

I need a good port of Chase H.Q. though. That game rocked and unfortunately the 32-bit ports on the FM Towns and Saturn left much to be desired. I hope that game makes a future compilation.

Postby sephiroth1215 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Why do I still have a really bad feeling that I won't be getting a 360 at launch? EB never did something like this before to me. But I did hear that you will get one if paid off in full, reminds me of Halo 2 when you pay in advance and you get the sheet of paper with offers a free subscription to a magizine that is no more and a number.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:12 am

Great podcast yesterday, loved the Captain Jack tribute at the end!

[edit] I forgot to say, the marching music that you mentioned as some of Captain Jack's stuff is made after military cadences. It's taken from Jack's time in the Air Force, he decided to turn many cadences into dance songs because they fit the role. Although it seems to be mostly his older songs they use more of the style, I'm not all that familiar with the timeframe on some of his stuff.
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

To the procrastinators

Postby robbway » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:07 am

lordkaosu wrote:Great podcast yesterday, loved the Captain Jack tribute at the end!

[edit] I forgot to say, the marching music that you mentioned as some of Captain Jack's stuff is made after military cadences. It's taken from Jack's time in the Air Force, he decided to turn many cadences into dance songs because they fit the role. Although it seems to be mostly his older songs they use more of the style, I'm not all that familiar with the timeframe on some of his stuff.

I listened and loved the Podcast! And I managed to avoid repeating anything from the podcast. I guess I'm in the same boat as Skie. We should all relate our experiences of the launch day next month.

As for guaranteeing the system for those who pay it off prior to release, I can only say that it feels like extortion. However, if one store has 70 pre-orders and 50 fully-paid, a second store has 70-40, the 70-50 will most likely get more systems than the 70-40. They're trying to weed out the people that reserved systems in many different stores but will only buy one.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby jimbob » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 am

New listener here. I think this must be my favorite videogame-related podcast so far! Good job guys, your 'cast is a lot of fun to listen to.I just don't understand how you play so many games though. Except Loki.. i can relate to him, I also can only fit time for one or two games a week into my schedule. Okay, maybe three.
Right now I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus (I'm on the 10th Colossus), Gods of War, and F.E.A.R. (for the 2nd time, harder difficulty setting)
You mentioned in the podcast that Sacramento has a mall with a GameStop and a EB. Which one is that? Arden? I never knew Arden had a GameStop, I'd only ever been to the EB down by Sears. Hmmm
Oh, and my favorite part of the podcast is DarkSakura's life tips.
jimbob
New Listener
New Listener

Postby LOKI » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:17 am

Yeah jimbob. Arden has both. I'm sure one will be closed down after the merger. If I remember right one store is at each end of the mall.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby skie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:28 am

Thanks for the kind words!!!!!!!!! We are able to cover a lot of games because the three of us all have pretty varying interests when it comes to games... Usually the stuff I review on the show is stuff I've bought... Luckly I have a good day job so I have good funds for games :) But I'd play a new game every day if I could afford it, LOL.
Gamestop is next to I think Anchor Blue??

I've heard tons of stuff about Shadow of the Colossus... lots of people on the forums have brought it up, I'm going to have to check that out!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Not Necessarily

Postby robbway » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:35 am

LOKI wrote:Yeah jimbob. Arden has both. I'm sure one will be closed down after the merger. If I remember right one store is at each end of the mall.

In my local "big" mall, there have been 2 EB stores for about 3 years now. Upstairs and downstairs. This seems like a very stupid thing and maybe that's why GameStop took over EB and not the other way around. There may have been a lease clause that prevented them from closing down. Honestly, I think they'll close down the lower-profit store and consolidate the inventory.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkSakura » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 am

LOKI wrote:Yeah jimbob. Arden has both. I'm sure one will be closed down after the merger. If I remember right one store is at each end of the mall.

Not according to my sources. The plan so far is to keep both open. The EB there does more business from what I'm told.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)