Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #42: Week of 10/17/05 - 10/23/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #42: Week of 10/17/05 - 10/23/05

Postby skie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:37 am

California getting sued over the violent video games bill... FFXI beta on 360... LORD VOLDEMORT craziness... Xbox Arcade and other Xbox 360 news... Guitar Hero goes gold... DDR coming to gyms... Spielberg joins forces with EA... Soul Calibur III news... Castlevania news and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Re: OLR TG #42: Week of 10/17/05 - 10/23/05

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:11 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys, and since I started listening in June, you haven't missed a Podcast, making OLR:TG one of the most reliable programs to which I subscribe!

Anyway, I'd like to add information to the news of the XB360 initial Live Arcade lineup--though it is more related to the PC. You mentioned Popcap games have quite a few offerings at first. This reminded me that they provide their programming framework for free, provided any finished programs credit popcap for the use of their tools. PopCap Developers Area

Any budding mini-game time waster programmers out there should take heed. The market for independent games is HUGE and needs talent that goes beyond the Match-3 variety of games. In fact, there's an article here: Business Week article

There are also arguments stating that indie games are dead, and it goes without saying its difficult to get into the market. So keep in mind that it is the meaningless, short-sessioned web-games that make the cut. If you're seriously trying to publish, you may want to swing by Gamasutra to find peer support.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:31 am

robbway wrote:Anyway, I'd like to add information to the news of the XB360 initial Live Arcade lineup--though it is more related to the PC. You mentioned Popcap games have quite a few offerings at first. This reminded me that they provide their programming framework for free, provided any finished programs credit popcap for the use of their tools. PopCap Developers Area

fascinating... i never knew that popcap did that. Now I understand why I see them everywhere... yahoo, msn, cell phones...

LOL I'm starting to look forward to Mondays because I can come to the forums and see robb's follow-ups to the podcast! You rock, robb!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:55 am

skie wrote:fascinating... i never knew that popcap did that. Now I understand why I see them everywhere... yahoo, msn, cell phones...

LOL I'm starting to look forward to Mondays because I can come to the forums and see robb's follow-ups to the podcast! You rock, robb!

:oops: shucks :oops: Thanks!

I try not to post for posting's sake, you know like "*BUMP*" I'd also like to add that I played Gripshift all weekend and my review (in Console Gaming) is standing up over time. Infact, the editor on Gripshift is so awesome because of the nearly unlimited play. Monkey Ball seriously needs an editor, too!

Its funny--but appropriate--that all of you buy tons of games. Me, too! A friend calls my house "Mecca" because he can find almost any PSOne, PS2, XBox, or GCN game. I'm also drawn to the "oddball" games like Katamari, Incredible Crisis, and Stretch Panic (the walking boobs game).

Alas, I have no Rainbow Cotton, or I would have sold it to Dark Sakura. No single game disc is worth $500!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:35 pm

Uhhhh...okay. I did not get a 24-hour fitness pass in my copy of EXTREME 2. 1up.com says it's for both EX2 and UM3. o_o??

I bought my copy the day after they shipped too.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:34 pm

I didn't either Reenee, the deal was struck after the game already shipped (EX2)... you will see the passes in *future* copies of EX2, and most likely all copies of UM3 since those haven't shipped yet (nor have I heard of an announcement of that going gold though that really should happen any day now if it hasn't already)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:37 pm

Don't games typically go gold around 2 months before release?
And doesn't UM3 come out next month??
Last edited by VxJasonxV on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Sakurina » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:21 am

VxJasonxV wrote:Don't games typically go gold around 2 months before release?
And doesn't UM2 come out next month??

No, UM3 does. :P
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby LOKI » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:55 am

Actually games go gold a few weeks prior to shipping.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:45 pm

Sakurina wrote:
VxJasonxV wrote:Don't games typically go gold around 2 months before release?
And doesn't UM2 come out next month??
No, UM3 does. :P
I've been gimped!
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

New listener (kind of)

Postby FrozenDelight » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:53 am

Just wanted to say hi. I found your podcasts and listened to the past 14 episodes in about 4 days, to get up to date. I'm in London, love the show chaps, keep up the good work. I don't usually post much on forums, but I will continue to listen to your great show.

Ciao.
FrozenDelight
New Listener
New Listener

Postby LOKI » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Thank you for listening. I'm glad you enjoy the show.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby lordkaosu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:08 pm

robbway wrote:
Alas, I have no Rainbow Cotton, or I would have sold it to Dark Sakura. No single game disc is worth $500!

I think you mean Panorama Cotton on MegaDrive(Genesis). Rainbow is on DC and is much cheaper($50 or under).
How happy is your house?
lordkaosu
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Reenee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:42 pm

LOKI wrote:Thank you for listening. I'm glad you enjoy the show.

MORE ENTHUSIASM! *throws a bunch of noisemakers at his way, and a katamari for good measure*
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Reenee wrote:MORE ENTHUSIASM! *throws a bunch of noisemakers at his way, and a katamari for good measure*

MORE COWBELL

seriously though, thanks to all of you for the kind feedback and just participating on our forums it makes this all so awesome to know that people actually listen to our ranting :)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)