Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

OLR TG #40: Week of 10/3/05 - 10/9/05

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

OLR TG #40: Week of 10/3/05 - 10/9/05

Postby skie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:17 am

OLR: Week of 10/3/05 - 10/9/05 57:25 10/2/2005 PSP firmware "downgrade" released... XBOX 360 updates... Yet more video game movies being made... Children of Mana... olrpsp.com announced... Disgaea 2... HD-DVD discussion... Nintendo Wi-Fi and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:58 am

CHILDREN OF MANA?? :O:O:O

*needs to listen very soon*
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Say It Ain't So

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:28 pm

How come the #1 podcast has no forum input? Thousands of subscribers: where are you? I think I speak for everyone: No one can possibly speak for everyone! :D I know my opinion is often minority.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Bad, Bad Joke

Postby robbway » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:21 pm

'Scuse Me While I Kiss Disgaea.

Proof that Hendrix was ahead of his time.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkSakura » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:32 pm

ROFL PUNISHMENT.

On the Disgaea 2 website, you can submit Western-style names as potential charas in the game.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

We Love Katamari Different View

Postby robbway » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:31 am

I have played Katamari Damacy very little. I just played We Love Katamari last night. Understanding that this is almost like starting with the sequel, I offer the following observations:

1) Right off the bat, the physics felt "tweaked" and more realistic.
2) The music sounded the same to me as the previous game, so if you've never played the original, the music will seem fresh and original.

My conclusion is that I should play around with Katamari Damacy more. The weirdest thing about the Katamari games is that there's a point where the ball becomes unbelievably huge in comparison to where you started, and you just start laughing as your attackers and obstacles become the prey. I don't even understand it myself.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Say It Ain't So

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:20 pm

robbway wrote:How come the #1 podcast has no forum input? Thousands of subscribers: where are you? I think I speak for everyone: No one can possibly speak for everyone! :D I know my opinion is often minority.

Thing is that everyone and their mother has a forum. So for those of us with Dark Sakura-esque sechedules, it is hard to keep up with all of the forums every week.

In a way that is why I like ORLTG. I can go a week without reading vg news forums and listen to ORLTG instead. [/i]

Re: Say It Ain't So

Postby robbway » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:06 am

16-bit wrote:...
Thing is that everyone and their mother has a forum. So for those of us with Dark Sakura-esque sechedules, it is hard to keep up with all of the forums every week.

In a way that is why I like ORLTG. I can go a week without reading vg news forums and listen to ORLTG instead. [/i]

Podcasts have saved my commute from morning-show commercial hell. The ones I choose are often for the personalities. The OLGTG crew is great! (shameless kissing-butt) Most importantly, they're honest.

They also incorporate the listeners into the content, which is actually kind of rare.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:40 am

WOW, robb, thanks a bunch... you actually specifically named two things that we strive very very hard to do on the show... One is be absolutely honest with our feedback on games... even if we change our opinion sometimes... and speaking of sometimes brutal honesty-- something to look forward to on the next episode, I have played a game this week that is so absolutely freaking terrible, I'm not holding back at all, it'll be the worst review I've probably ever given a game on the show... LOL.

It's really interesting to hear that more podcasts don't incorporate the listeners into the show. I kinda thought everyone did a mailbag type segment or giveaways or something, I know theres indie game podcasts out there that have a "bigger budget" than we do, LOL. But in all honesty I don't listen to a lot of other gaming podcasts... I have nothing but respect for the other independent gaming podcasters as I know they put just as much work into it as we do... it's just.... wow after talking about games so much during the week it's just refreshing to listen to a podcast about something else like Television Shows or Pop Culture... LOL. (That's just from my perspective though... I totally encourage people to sign up for multiple gaming podcasts as I do notice from the ones I have listened to that we all cater to slightly different audiences... For instance, we don't really talk about sports games, but not a lot of other casts I've heard talk about import or international gaming)

16-Bit, what you're saying makes total sense to me as well as to why people don't really traffic the forum. I'm grateful for any feedback we do get... with iTunes making it so easy to subscribe and download our show without ever touching the website, it's really great when you see activity here on the forums because you know... dang... they took extra time to actually come find our website. So thanks everyone :D
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Involvement

Postby robbway » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 am

I think of the OLRTG as having the closest participation with the audience. If someone says something new, different, clever, or interesting, it sometimes makes it into the show. You guys also answer and comment on the forums and email. That may have to change if there's too much email or posting. Going thru the mailbag is often just a rote reading that many podcasts do to stay in touch.

As for multiple video games podcasts, I agree with Skie! There are exclusives on different podcasts. Sometimes it's the recording date that causes it, and other times its the podcasters' favorite things. I listen to about 5 video games podcasts. Without naming names, I listen to them for the following reasons: one is very critical, one has a great rapport (as does OLRTG) between hosts, one has extremely silly mailbag due to the e-mailers and the hosts, one is platform-specific, and one is such a labor of love that the host's delivery is intensely enthusiastic.

Yeah, it's often repetitive, but hot-button issues, like cafe caliente, have so many opinions attached that you want to hear them all.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)