Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Article Ideas For OLR #39 Podcast

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Article Ideas For OLR #39 Podcast

Postby robbway » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:09 am

Just something I thought would make a nice place to put listener submissions. Speaking personally, this would cut down on my e-mail to the Hosts significantly. (note to moderators: if you think this isn't a good idea, lock it).

I was thinking that the article ideas could be like those the Hosts discuss: news, reviews of new games, peripherals, or similar video-game related information.

Reviews that simply say "awesome" or "sux" aren't very useful, and general vid-game discussion is elsewhere on the forums. Keeping it topical will be great. I'm adding a new release review below, and I will try to keep it concise.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Deekman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:20 am

I think this is a bad idea if people wanted to hear your reviews you should start your own podcasts or post them online somewhere. People listen to OLRTG to hear the opinions from the hosts themselves on games.

Most i think that should come out of the fans is perhaps saying something like "the general buzz from the fans of this game is that it's going to be great!"

That kind of thing.
Deekman
Website Staff
Website Staff

TECMO Classic Arcade (XBOX)

Postby robbway » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:25 am

TECMO Classic Arcade comprises the following arcade versions of these old games: Tecmo Bowl, Rygar, Starforce, Solomon's Key, Bomb Jack, Tecmo Cup, Pinball Action, Pleiads, Senjyo, Swimmer, and Strato Fighter. These games are graphically and audibly appealing as the original arcade, which means lower your standards. This collection isn't for everyone.

Tecmo Bowl, Rygar, and Bomb Jack were popular in the USA. The remaining games were dispersed amongst many arcades and convenience stores. Many are not well known to most players. Most games are very repetitive. I can remember other Tecmo games I liked better, but this selection appears to cater towards the gamers that played the NES versions of these arcade games.

There are some changes to these games, though. The only significant one I caught was the music in Bomb Jack. They used to have four songs, but now there are two. I know one was the Beatles' "Lady Madonna." So the change was probably for legal reasons. Even though it is superficial, it sticks out like a sore thumb and makes the game less enjoyable.

If you like the games list, you'll like TECMO Classic Arcade for the XBOX. Otherwise, its a renter at best.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Good Point!

Postby robbway » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:32 am

Deekman wrote:I think this is a bad idea if people wanted to hear your reviews you should start your own podcasts or post them online somewhere. People listen to OLRTG to hear the opinions from the hosts themselves on games....

That's a very good point! Maybe we should narrow the topic to possible news items? You can also post reviews in the General Video Game discussion.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 am

I think there's definatley an appropriate place for games to be reviewed rigth here on these forums under the general game discussion forum. As the forums continue to grow, which they've done very well so far thanks to frequent posters like you guys, we can consider a seperate reviews forum in the future.

Like Deekman sort of alluded to, I think the best thing that reading reviews on the site could do for the podcast is help us know what the "buzz" is on a particular game. For instance, I had no freakin idea there was a Tecmo collection but now that I read robb's review, I'm really interested in it... Tecmo Bowl is one of the few sports titles I've really, truly enjoyed (Belive it or not I really enjoy some ol' school sports games... Blades of Steel... NBA Jam...) Rygar was a real trip in the arcades, totally different from the NES version... and Bomb Jack was an awesome 80s title. I can't believe they would have changed the music though :( ... so yeah, I'll have to find that game somehow and I'm sure it'll get a mention from me on the podcast :)

We totally would love links to worthy news articles... we manage to get a lot of gaming news covered because we stay on top of all the "major players", so to speak, and we actually get some press releases direct from a number of gaming companies... HOWEVER what we miss out on sometimes are the qwirky stories out there. Like remember when we brought up the Mega Man mod for the Mac a few shows ago? That was something I found on someone's personal blog. But it fit so well :) So definatley-- help us be eyes and ears out there on the net :) Can't promise we'll hit everything but... we'll try!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Different POV

Postby robbway » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:01 pm

I'm always looking for retro games republished, as long as I don't have them. Namco museum for PS one (n, a, m, c, and o) was by far the best collection ever. Mmmmmm...Gaplus/Galaga 3. I check the coming soon lists on EBGames.com frequently.

Taito Legends is due in October (10/25). Since Space Invaders, it just got better! Two-fer old board games, arcade games, and Atari 2600 games are now out for GBA. Midway Arcade 3 (mentioned in OLR:TG#37) comes out next week. Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP in November. Capcom Classics next week? Fathammer Classics (honestly, I never heard of them: Angelfish, Stuntcar Extreme and Super Drop Mania). Wow. Goodbye food and mortgage! My savings are taking a hit!

In case any developers with the licenses are reading, there seriously needs to be a Universal Collection. I think these might be Nintendo, because of the Sheriff mini-game in WarioWare. Cosmic Guerilla, Cosmic Alien, Mr. Do! (all of them), Bandito/Sheriff, and a lot of weird titles, too.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

DOOM Movie

Postby robbway » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 am

I saw the trailer for the DOOM Movie last week. It has "The Rock" starring in it. The gimmick for the movie is "weapon cam" to mimic the first person shooter view, including a chainsaw. It looks like a decent tribute to DOOM, but I'm not so sure about the movie itself. It's not looking too good, so far.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Although if the rumors hold up that the plot line is about DNA altering, there will be some heads to roll.
And I'm not talking about a katamari.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

A UMD Movie/Game

Postby robbway » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:06 pm

It's not a full feature like Stealth, but the new game Frantix has the CGI short "The Chubb Chubbs." It isn't selectable from the Video menu, but from an option in the Game's main menu.

Frantix has not impressed me so far. Pushing crates, collecting color-coded gems, and running-without-stopping on quicksand. I love puzzles, but each level (I'm on the 23rd) has a "?" that tells you what to do. Did I mention the load times? Ugh. Smart Bomb, Mercury, and Frantix. I believe I scored the Trifecta!

Don't give up on it. I really didn't give it a fair shake yet.

EDIT: This game is a generic Sokoban+powerups puzzler. Some are interesting, just some. I'm disappointed overall, especially with the timer. A countdown timer on a puzzle game is really just a lazy design technique trying to "spice up" boring levels.
Last edited by robbway on Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby LOKI » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:16 am

Yeah the 4th quarter is full of retro collections:

Tecmo Arcade classics
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play (PSP)
Capcom Classic Collection
Megaman X: Collection
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)