Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 253 -- October 28th, 2007

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 253 -- October 28th, 2007

Postby skie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Part A is up

Webcam @ http://operator11.com/shows/3772/episodes/27840

Feedback, Comments & Suggestions Thread :)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby blackdevilrx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:43 am

Pikagina. Best word ever.
blackdevilrx
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DJTyrant » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 am

Manhunt on ice.
DJTyrant
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Thoughts of Crazy Climber

Postby robbway » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:36 pm

DJTyrant wrote:Manhunt on ice.

Manhunt: THE MUSICAL on ice.

I love Crazy Climber. The Atari 2600 version was okay, but very much a let down. I'm not crazy on the nunchuk/Wiimote controls, though. At least it's being published by the same company that originally made it for the arcade. I'm not kidding when I say my rival at that game, a game of climbing buildings, was actually named Peter Parker.

The game, as is, will not interest people very much and/or very long. I hope they've moderenized it. The interesting thing about it was the weirdness. The storeys were only about 3 feet high--so Crazy Climber was a freak of nature in height. People would throw stuff at you (flower pots, tin cans, bowling balls) to make you fall for their enjoyment! Or they'd slam their windows on your fingers. Steel girders and signs routinely broke free of the building, so it probably wasn't a good idea to live or even walk near them. Giant monkeys have invaded the city. Giant balloons would climb faster with Crazy Climber than without his weight (wah?). Electrical signs with live wires were never fixed for the safety of the residents--even when they developed a second live wire! I wonder what the electrical bills were like. Lastly, you could climb above the ledge on the roof, but Crazy Climber wouldn't climb onto the roof to catch his 'copter. Who needs stability, anyway?

I think Crackdown offered a more up-to-date version of what Crazy Climber should be. Crazy Climber does not use the help of his feet. 3-point-contact is for wusses!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:45 pm

Interesting, Robb... the most experience I had with Crazy Climber was playing the MAME rom a couple times a loooong time ago.

Ironically enough, I didn't own that on the 2600 but one of the first games I have memories of playing was Spider-Man on the 2600, which was a very similar concept... you scaled up a building using your spider web to slowly scale... but you could also swing back and forth. I spent hours on that damn game. LOL.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Spider Man

Postby robbway » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:55 pm

skie wrote:Interesting, Robb... the most experience I had with Crazy Climber was playing the MAME rom a couple times a loooong time ago.

Ironically enough, I didn't own that on the 2600 but one of the first games I have memories of playing was Spider-Man on the 2600, which was a very similar concept... you scaled up a building using your spider web to slowly scale... but you could also swing back and forth. I spent hours on that damn game. LOL.

Spider Man and the Empire Strikes Back were the best games out around that time--CBS Electronics, I think. Spider Man was much better than Crazy Climber. In the arcade, the windows would shut randomly. On the Atari, the building was vertically "sliced" in halves, and as the windows closed, the right and left sides windows closed as a mirror image. It was a memory saving technique and it took a lot of fun out of the game.

I've also played the MAME ROM, and it is a reasonable approximation of the game. The reason for the two-handed controls is that the game controlled the climber with two joysticks. I never got Super Crazy Climber for the PSX (JP).

A bastard child of Crazy Climber was Firebug (Sega? I think). Conceptually, it made a lot more sense. You were a suicidal fireman trying to save people.

One more thing. If you sat still too long on the Crazy Climber it would say (barely intelligibly): Go for it! It warned you twice, and then you'd die. I also forgot the bird with red-shit and lots of it. EWWWWwwwww.....
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:16 pm

skie wrote:Interesting, Robb... the most experience I had with Crazy Climber was playing the MAME rom a couple times a loooong time ago.

That's also how I remembered crazy climber best, was through MAME's emulation...

Although I doubt it'll come to the US, stranger games have... :P
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Japhle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 am

blackdevilrx wrote:Pikagina. Best word ever.

Do you have a picture of it? I would like to be able to laugh at it.
Japhle
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby danzik » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:11 am

Pikachu loves you.
danzik
New Listener
New Listener

Postby robbway » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 am

danzik wrote:Pikachu loves you.

You're my new best friend.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Japhle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:45 am

Lawl!!! awesomenessish is greatly entertaining...
Japhle
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)