Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio 230 -- 5/6/07

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio 230 -- 5/6/07

Postby skie » Sun May 06, 2007 11:31 pm

PS3 store now has Playstation One games... PS3 home beta kicks off in UK and US... Vib-Ribbon for PSN a possibility?... New DOA, Kingdom Hearts and Mega Man... Next Kingdom Hearts Portable not KH3?... PETA talks God of War goat... SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters gets Bubble Bobbled... T & A Rhythm game... IIDX Gold campaign in the US... DDR Supernova 2 field test cancelled... Wii Guitar Hero 3 controller... Queens of the Stone Age in GH3 and Rock Band... NBA opens up in Second Life... Pro football players to train with EAs madden tech... Nintendo to re-locate?... Euro retailer GAME buys GAMESTATION for 74 million euros... Student arrested and expelled for making a map of his school in Counterstrike... City of Heroes: Issue 9 released... The Laser dance matrix... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby SakuraMaxX » Mon May 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Dude, I live in the district with the school. I never heard about this till I listened to OLR
SakuraMaxX
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed May 09, 2007 9:34 pm

skie didn't post that part b is up (finally!):

Microsoft cracks down on territory control... Speedball 2 and Double Dragon for XBLA... Puzzle Quest coming soon to XBLA... Release Dates... Warhawk demo and beta... PSP Camera dated for Europe... Zelda themed DS for charity... Iwata indicates Smash Bros, Mario and Metroid Prime 3 in 2007... Impossible Mission to be first new VC title... Virtua Fighter 2 on Virtual Console in UK... Trophies in Alien Hominid... Five games to make you better, stronger and faster... Video Games Live at E for All... Starcraft MMO?... Don Bluth making Dragons Lair movie... Resident Evil 4 Wii only 29.95... 10 worst selling consoles of all time... and more!

48:50... that's all I'm gonna say. :P

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed May 09, 2007 9:40 pm

And speaking of the skype call... sorry I was a bit preoccupied with my little surprise but I meant to talk about IIDX GOLD and DDRSN2, but I got sidetracked... :P

Hopefully with the additional push our podcast should give the IIDX GOLD campaign, maybe more arcades across the country will take a chance with the game. And then Konami should see that IIDX could really work if they tried.

As for SuperNOVA 2... I'm not sure what the actual status is of any location tests in the US, that's only what I've read online... hopefully like LOKI said the secretive nature of the game will prove to be beneficial and Konami will blow us all away in the end.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Wireless dance mat

Postby robbway » Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 am

Guys, I almost invented an optical pad for DDR. I did enough research to know that the design has to be like this:

1) Laser coverage (from your story) must be spaced in such a way that the 95% human foot will always break a beam. The expensive way to do that is use the Buffon Needle problem on the smallest foot in the 95%--and only on the tiptoe footprint. I think that comes out to be something like 4 inches. It's very complicated. For a home pad, you'd have to cut down to keep the price under $200.

2) Laser placement and detector placement. Once you have your distance, you should actually turn your lines 45-degrees diagonally to have longer beams. That's Pythagoras' fault. On the home pad you'd probably opt for the mirror option instead of multiple lasers. However, the placement will be affected by vibration, dirt, abuse, and just plain mistakes during play. Personally, I think dirt would also be your enemy for this type of pad.

There's other stuff, but I looked into costs on this sort of thing. With no fancy-shmansy light effects I priced (though it's probably cheaper, now) each IR-Diode/detector pair (not laser, I'm sure they're not quite as cheap) at about $6. I was also making a 9-panel, but that's problematic, because DDR squares have no dividers between the plates and the buttons.

So take that, all you I'll-never-need-math-in-the-real-world people. You'll also need biometric data! Ironically, most of your costs are R&D and the solid materials!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Fri May 11, 2007 11:13 am

my issue with the thing is would you be able to tell between hitting up/down and left/right... and for that matter would the pad be able to? That's why I like the traditional pad, you can at least tell when you're actually hitting the arrows. :P

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Not too hard.

Postby robbway » Fri May 11, 2007 11:53 am

DarkTetsuya wrote:my issue with the thing is would you be able to tell between hitting up/down and left/right... and for that matter would the pad be able to? That's why I like the traditional pad, you can at least tell when you're actually hitting the arrows. :P

DT

Actually, a standard DDR pad would be simple to tell up/down/left/right. You have 4 sensor arrays to correspond with the controller setup. The lighting is a little different. You can place the lights to shine on the pad, which is problematic if using an IR sensor, or you can place a sheet of plexiglass and have side-lights illuminate the plexiglass.

Engineering-wise, top lighting is more easily damaged, and can mess with the sensors. Side-lighting plexiglass is the most solid design, especially if the plexiglass is not 100% transparent. Bottom-lighting is also possible, but your pads will break from repeated use (like the current pads).

Another problem with lighting is that you have to add another chip to your circuit board. But hell, if you've gone out and have all the equipment, you will have everything but the chip and lights. Radio Shack is your friend.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Re: Not too hard.

Postby DarkTetsuya » Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

robbway wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:my issue with the thing is would you be able to tell between hitting up/down and left/right... and for that matter would the pad be able to? That's why I like the traditional pad, you can at least tell when you're actually hitting the arrows. :P

DT

Actually, a standard DDR pad would be simple to tell up/down/left/right. You have 4 sensor arrays to correspond with the controller setup. The lighting is a little different. You can place the lights to shine on the pad, which is problematic if using an IR sensor, or you can place a sheet of plexiglass and have side-lights illuminate the plexiglass.

Engineering-wise, top lighting is more easily damaged, and can mess with the sensors. Side-lighting plexiglass is the most solid design, especially if the plexiglass is not 100% transparent. Bottom-lighting is also possible, but your pads will break from repeated use (like the current pads).

Another problem with lighting is that you have to add another chip to your circuit board. But hell, if you've gone out and have all the equipment, you will have everything but the chip and lights. Radio Shack is your friend.

Oh, ok. When I first heard of this I imagined just a flat sheet of plexiglass with no boundaries as to where the arrows were, but that makes much more sense, I see now.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)