Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 225 -- March 25th, 2007

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 225 -- March 25th, 2007

Postby skie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:26 pm

How important is Europe to the PS3 launch?... Sony gives away free TVs at launch... UK retailer is happy with supply and demand... Only three people in line at one store... Australia Launch and poor turnout... Website for UK backwards compatability... PS3 firmware 1.6 to allow background downloading... Folding @ Home on PS3... Game Informer confirms Black XBOX 360... New 120 GB HD... Xbox 360 Elite to support IPTV... Wii Internet Channel final version in April/May... Boogie from EA... Guitar Hero on the Wii... Nintendo Wii Friend Codes... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkSakura » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Sorry I missed it, guys! I was in sick land.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Reenee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:03 pm

Get some hot drinking water, mix enough salt so that it becomes opaque, and gargle each gulp as long as possible over a sink and spit out when you can gargle no more.
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Sai-kun » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:58 am

Holy crap! LOKI called the price of the 120 gig HD!

It's 179.99.

Nice job, LOKI. *high-five*
This is how it all beginS
Sai-kun
Supporter
Supporter

Lawsuit Shy

Postby robbway » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:21 am

I think the whole different friendcodes for each game is that it requires a non-Nintendo medium to communicate the codes to each other. This limits to Nintendo being the conduit thru which predators contact children. The problem is, it backfires. It forces message boards to have Wii-code threads (like the one here) which circumvents any security concerns.

It's a lot like hard-to-remember passwords. You force people to write them down and spend a lot of time just resetting passwords. That makes the system more vulnerable.

Nintendo is lawsuit shy. This code system just proves it.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm

It's like I told Scot and Lawrence on AGI a few weeks before the Wii launch.
Learn it/enter it once and you're DONE with it.
Words are more easily misconstrued than numbers.

I should record this again (or maybe clip it out of the episode) for the sake of hearing how it's said/spoken, but:

"I'm 99644240 on ICQ. I'm KyuteGrrl13* on XboxLive."
Get the point?

* No, I'm not actually KyuteGrrl13. That statement was to make a point about 'usernames' and associations.

Call it the "old school" in me, but ICQ was pretty damn popular. And exchanging numbers was pretty easy.
Admittedly though, 16 numbers (even 12 on the DS) is a lot worse than the, what, 9? 10? that ICQ is at right now.

(As you can see, ICQ was still at 8 digits back in those times. 7 digit users are still "hardcore" so to speak.)
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DJTyrant » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:34 pm

You know I agree with you Jason, I still remember my ICQ number by heart >_>
DJTyrant
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby SakuraMaxX » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:13 pm

There's another good thing about this episode: I'm officially the youngest OLR listener. My parents don't know I listen to this. I just tell them I listen to a talk show about video games.
SakuraMaxX
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Necki » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:12 pm

the stories on the PS3 launch were a bit out, LOKI says that there were lines as small as 3. I can honestly say there are probably stores with no line. I could quite easily (if I had the money) go out and buy a PS3 from nearly ANY southampton game console store. I mean blockbuster still has them in. There has been no shortage of supply, but simply put, it is because there is barely any demand.
I heard there was a store (my friend works there) which had around 15 PS3s in and they only sold 2-4. They had loads left and everyone here got screwed over.
Ha the PS3 is a rip in my view atm anyway. You can get a premium Xbox360 and a wii for the price of a PS3 in the uk roughly (xbox360 being £250ish and wii being £180 makes £430.) I know of only one PS3 owner, which is a friend of a friend.

Note about the Black Xbox 360 it is real, known as Elite Major Nelson has pictures+stuff. go download his podcast interview. It explains price atc.

Anyway this is getting long.
Missed you Jamie
Get well ASAP.
Necki

Part B not on iTunes yet? :(
Necki
New Listener
New Listener

The UK Deserves the Best!

Postby robbway » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Hot on the heels of the Chief of Sony Europe saying that Americans are cheap, that's really an insult to the Brits. Not only are they saying that everyone in the UK has ooodles of quid to just throw away, but also that they deserve an even higher price with less functionality. No, that's just mean! :evil:

And then to pour salt into the wound, he reminds us Americans of VAT. Also, keep in mind that Japan actually got their 20g price lowered, so they're cheapest of all! It's obvious that this is "consumer electronics" that your average consumer cannot buy.

And earlier, they twisted the knife in your back by making it illegal to import-purchase an American PS3. It isn't, however, illegal to buy it here and take it back. So if you take one of the cheaper flights to Disneyworld, make it a shopping trip. (AC adapter not included)
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:59 pm

Part B is delayed due to internet connection issues I'm having at home. Thanks for your patience :cry:
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby SakuraMaxX » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah, I noticed. I wanna hear my email again XD
SakuraMaxX
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby skie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 pm

SORRY BOUT THE DELAY

Devil May Cry 4 on 360... Could FFXIII and MGS4 be next?... Exclusive PS3 games from Cellius... Release Dates... Yuji Naka not interested in new Nights game... Duke Nukem forever still plugging away... Oblivion composer to score Duke Nukem Forever?... Dragons Lair coming to Blu-Ray... Calling all Cars... SIX Singstar games... Jet Pack on XBLA... New Heroes for Marvel Ultimate Alliance... GRAW2 blacklisted in Mexico... GRAW2 PC Beta... Quake Wars beta test... New Line gets Gears of War movie rights... Capcom announces Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles... TMNT for easy achievements... AND MORE!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Blackwolf » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

VxJasonxV wrote:(As you can see, ICQ was still at 8 digits back in those times. 7 digit users are still "hardcore" so to speak.)

And since I'm a 6 digit ICQ user, what am I? ;P
Blackwolf
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:31 am

Chopped Liver.

Note:
7 digit *and under* users are hardcore.

(Happy now?)
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)