Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 223 -- March 11th, 2007

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 223 -- March 11th, 2007

Postby skie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Sony shows us Playstation Home... Little Big Planet... Fable 2 will have dogs, pregnancy and STDs?... Every Extend Extra Extreme... Bigger XBLA games and Memory Cards... Peter Jackson and Episodic Halo Content... Castle Crashers? Not until 2008... XBOX Live hits 6 million users 4 months early... Blue Dragon in Europe... Release Dates... EA signs a deal with Harmonix... EA Kicks off an online music competition... Singstar to become a karaoke Youtube?... Warhawk is online only... Commodore now a high end gaming PC?... Lego: The MMO... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

No Comments?

Postby robbway » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 am

Wow, no comments so far. Wil Wheaton had a rant about how arcades are disappearing and becoming dull about a month ago. As much as I'd love to return to the classic-style of the old arcades, it won't happen, I'm afraid. Here are some of the factors I believe contribute:
    Game hardware has dramatically increased in price, while price-per-game hasn't. I know $1 sounds like a lot for Time Crisis, but the machines take up double the floor space and cost more than twice the price in the 80's.

We are jaded. The "Wow" factor of seeing a new game is gone. Because videogames were relatively new 20 years ago, anything that wasn't a clone of an existing game gave you a bit of awe. I personally get more of a "Wow" factor from a great console game.

Ticket/token games make tons of money. Frankly, they're the only reason some arcades are still around. You can fix the payout rate on them, too. :evil: AND I REALLY HATE STACKER!!! :evil: (calming down now)

It's much cheaper to release a game to a console than an arcade-to-console. Arcade games were, at one time, advertisement for licensed versions on home consoles.

We're becoming antisocial. Cell phones, email, text messaging, internet boards, etc. are keeping us in touch--from a distance. Arcades used to be a social experience.

Decline of the "staple" game. In the 80's, pinball actually kept the arcade afloat, especially when the home systems disappeared after Atari. *age alert* before videogames, the arcades were primarily pinball and air hockey.

That's about all I can think of. I personally question the morality of the ticket redemption games. As Skie said, "gambling for children."
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeah, slow on comments this week :(

New Super Mario Galaxy Trailer & Mii Channel... Virtual Console releases & speculation... Chocobo Tales... DS Opera Browser coming in June... No Wii online for 3rd parties? Yet Sega has one?... E3 details slowly coming out... The video games did not make you do it... Online poll foresees the return of NiGHTS?... Australia gets a free Xbox Live weekend... People really do not like Bullet Witch... Ubisoft confirms the TMNT game for Xbox Live Arcade... LISTLESS: What is the next ol school arcade game that should be ported to Xbox Live Arcade... New Earthworm Jim in planning... How to get your girlfriend to play video games... Website of the Week... Resistance updates detailed... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Illusion » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:25 am

Whatever happened to Loki's combination of Zodiac and that other song?
Illusion
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby skie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:30 am

Keep in mind that played on a "bonus segment" that isn't podcast. I hear it's available for download on his page on the community.allgames.com site though ;)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:05 pm

skie wrote:How to get your girlfriend to play video games...

*doesn't have that problem.... ;)* (what few fans Guys on a Show have most likely heard...)

skie wrote:Keep in mind that played on a "bonus segment" that isn't podcast. I hear it's available for download on his page on the community.allgames.com site though ;)

Speaking of which I still want 'Drunk Drunk Revolution' ... easily my favorite DMN remix of all time.

ASSPIPER ASSPIPER ASSPIPER :X

DT

EDIT: woo, 600th post :D
Last edited by DarkTetsuya on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Misty » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Eh, I still like "Goddamit, that Rob shit in the chatroom needs to stop right now" part better.
Proud ACen masquerade gofer: 2006-2008
Reg Staff: 2009
I still vote for the fort. >.> :P

Looking for old episodes that aren't on your feed reader or the OLR PSP site? I'm probably one your best bets. ^.^

Misty
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Illusion wrote:Whatever happened to Loki's combination of Zodiac and that other song?

Here's the link to the song

http://www.zshare.net/audio/loki-vs-ver ... x-mp3.html

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

We Love Mrs. Loki

Postby robbway » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am

That's the first episode I ever heard Nelly speak up/attend. I like her! She fit the tone of the show very well, and I laughed!
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Illusion » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:00 am

ssj100matt wrote:
Illusion wrote:Whatever happened to Loki's combination of Zodiac and that other song?

Here's the link to the song

http://www.zshare.net/audio/loki-vs-ver ... x-mp3.html

Thanks.
Illusion
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)