Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 203: 10 / 8 / 06

Discussion and Feedback on the Orange Lounge Radio LIVE program, including your suggestions for future topics and news on upcoming specials

Orange Lounge Radio Episode 203: 10 / 8 / 06

Postby skie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Rumors say Wii demo units to require a credit card and only at Gamestop... PS3 preorders from regulars only?... Or are they not taking them at all?... Gamestop employees asked not to talk... Release Dates... Wii hardware is basically a gamecube, or is it?... Wii production exceeding expectations... Bionicle Heros coming to the Wii... Wii getting an ethernet kit... XBOX gamertag and harddrive being sold on e-bay... Gamerscore leveling service online... Smacktalking tool for XBOX Live... NBA Live fans fed up with EA... NBA Live 2K7 to support 7 players on PS3... Playstation 3 Peripherals... Heating problems on PS3?... PS3 interface information... Homebrew touch screen for the PSP... More DDR Sneak Peaks... Sneak King the Burger King game... Wii to launch early?... and more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:40 pm

No DarkSakura this week.
We cry :'(
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkSakura » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 pm

DarkSakura was at a funeral and it was sad indeed. If it's any consolation, I have laryngitis now. :x
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby Graywulf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:07 pm

News for PS3 with all the bad press and no mater what the heads of
Sony say and even doesnt mater what M$ Fanbois say either.

The PS3 will sell out PreOrders were taken with only a days warning
and enough showed to sell out in 10 min of oppening everywhere.

even though we may see the half fulls of crap heads saying its cause
there werent that many being put on preorder and whatever ect.

The fact is that Sony PS3 no matter how much anyone reading this doesnt like it will sell out in the US.

Thanks to all the haters and bashers for all the publicity of course.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Graywulf wrote:News for PS3 with all the bad press and no mater what the heads of

The fact is that Sony PS3 no matter how much anyone reading this doesnt like it will sell out in the US.

Ummm no shit it will sell out when theres only 400,000 units being shipped to North America... Meanwhile 2 million Wii's are being shipped... Thats more the 4x's what Sony is doing... Selling 400,000 units isnt going to make the PS3 a raging success...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby VxJasonxV » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:44 pm

400,000 people will get PS3s.
Maybe 200,000 people will get 2 PS3s, and jack up the price even more.

Regardless, 400,000 people will get PS3s, and the other hundreds of thousands will bitch for months on end.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby skie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:58 pm

We interrupt this hot debate to bring you Part B:

Final Fantasy 12 leaks to the internet... Does the ESRB even play games?... Playboys next women in games spread... Family expert downplays the role of video games in teen violence... Dr. Kawashima of Brain Training defects to the PSP... Gears of War looks better than PS3?... Duke Nukem 3D for Xbox Live Arcade?... Lost Planet Multiplayer demo coming... Full Auto 2 producers drop details on PS3 online service... Modchip and HDLoader trafficers nailed... Euro delay of PS3 to threaten US publishers?... PSP oblivion details... Wii virtual console games to be region locked... Wii browser price still undetermined... Pelican making 3rd party Wii controller... Wii light on or off?... A new game, the Video Game Showdown... Phone calls and much more!
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby MrWonderful » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 am

Graywulf wrote:News for PS3 with all the bad press and no mater what the heads of

Echoing XvJasonvX's sentiment, 400,000 is nowhere near the numbers that Sony needs to stay alive. And despite people bitching that PS3s will cost $1000 on eBay, sony doesn't see a dime of that.
Sony's in some real trouble this generation. They've got a lot of negative buzz, their press campaign is kind of gross and not very intiutive, and they are plagued with rumors about the delay. I'd say their backs are against the wall more than ever.
And for an interesting read, check this out: http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/17605 it's a financial website evaluating Sony's value. They stand to get absolutely pounded this christmas.
MrWonderful
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby gs68 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:19 am

Too bad Sony's negative publicity won't affect casual gamers, who don't care for gaming news.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby MrWonderful » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:37 pm

Agreed, but their ps3 ad campaign is... kind of gross. And wierd! Not a fan of 1up by any stretch, but here's some high quality shots of their ads...
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=752 ... Id=5380090
MrWonderful
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkSakura » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 pm

My hubby's preordered our PS3.

Traitor.

But seriously, I know at least one of us had to have one to review the games coming out. But I still think Sony's shot themselves. They're falling into the same pit Microsoft fell into. Supply has to meet demand.

Thank god Nintendo is run by someone who doesn't eat crayons, wears a bicycle helmet, and is leashed to a jungle gym.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby skie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:54 pm

As I've said on the show several times, I personally feel Sony might not be that appealing right now, and I'm not enthused in any way about this launch, but people it's just a launch. I didn't get my PS2 at launch by any means, but I love the damn thing now. I'm so hyped for FFXII :D I do believe maybe by this time next year, Sony will have some more games right up my alley (RPG's, Action titles) that will have me more excited about the system. I totally see myself having a PS3 at this time next year.

Another big big unpredictible (imho) at this time factor though is wether Blu-Ray "catches on" or not.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby MrWonderful » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:52 pm

I agree, the PS3 may become the hot system, and I'm certainly not rooting against them! I just can't really imagine why they keep making these bizarre choices. Maybe it's all part of a master plan yet to be revealed? But as it is now, White Knight looks cool and that's it till 07. The Wii has 4 games at launch that I really want to pick up, and more coming. I bought my JPS2 right during the glut of great Square titles and Banpresto Strategy RPGS. RPGs, Rhythm Games and SRPGs are the games that move the system in Japan (and to a lesser extent US), and Sony just ain't showing the goods. I was definately hoping to come out of TGS wowed, and like you said, FFXIII looks hot, but it just feels to me like the third parties are taking much more of a wait and see approach this generation, rather than commiting now.
All in all, it should be a hell of a fight between MS the big N and Sony. And truthfully, I'll probably have all three systems come Christmas 07. the wii is just the one I want first ^_^
MrWonderful
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

All in all

Postby Graywulf » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:09 pm

To me it sounds like rats fleeing a sinking ship
but the ship isnt sinking sorry.

Sony is not that small and has plenty of support no
matter how many bad press boys there are.

in the end they will make all their money back
with PSP,PS2 and PS3 pulling it in for them.

for my part I like Nintendo and bow before them
for I honor their commitment to fun but im not
a child and dont care for preschool games.

I own every system and then some but sorry Xbox boys
I never bought one I allready have a Bill gates machine
I call it a computer.

Windows sucks sorry had to let that out.
anyway Sony has brought together a great gaming
experience for me in the past its no less comming in
the future.

And Nintendo too I do enjoy occasionally preschooling it
and playing the cute games.

So in the end Sony all for them
Nintendo nice job give us more
Microsoft stick to lame windows gaming
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby The23rdMagus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:44 am

*raises eyebrow*

Nintendo only produces "kiddy games"? I'll remember that the next time I play Metroid Prime.

Honestly, knowing the facts is a must before fanboying a company (if one must fanboy). Just because a system's first-party games aren't M-rated doesn't make them kid's games.

That said, I'm not very excited about the 360, as I'm not big on sports games and I prefer my FPSes on my PC. All that has me interested in a PS3 is the sequels to popular franchises - Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, etc.

But in my opinion, it's getting a little long in the tooth. The Wii seems like it will bring something new to the table, whereas its competitors are just bringing more of the same with better graphics.

When both are released, we'll see who wins this generation's console war. We're only trash-talking Sony's marketing strategies, because they are truly shooting themselves in the foot. If you want to slam a gaming company, fine - but at least supply some valid reasons.
The future is comin' on...
The23rdMagus
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Next

Return to Sunday: Orange Lounge Radio LIVE -- (Podcast talk too)