Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Skype Video?

Give all suggestions, opinions, etc. here. Contributions not handled anywhere else on this site can be given here as well. (Art, icons, avatars, rank images, etc.)

Skype Video?

Postby pkjr92 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 am

Hey, would you guys (and girl) ever think about using Skype's Video Call feature in the show? I don't know what kind of video programs you are running, or if it is possible with the way you are doing video right now, but it would be really cool to have just a box in the corner of whoever is calling (provided both you and them have the bandwidth for it). Anyways, if you do ever end up doing, use WebCam Max. It's the program Bobby use on Friday Night Gaming, and I have it, and it works great.
Last edited by pkjr92 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pkjr92
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Skype Video?

Postby VxJasonxV » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 pm

pkjr92 wrote:Hey, would you guys (and girl) ever thin about using Skype's Video Call feature in the show?
I haven't mentioned it to them, but ever since they got the show back up on Justin.tv, I've thought about suggesting exactly this, and it would likely work pretty well because (1) they do use Skype and (2) they only have one caller at a time. (For those who don't know, Skype will only send video on one-to-one calls.)

pkjr92 wrote:I don't know what kind of video programs you are running, or if it is possible with the way you are doing video right now, but it would be really cool to have just a box in the corner of whoever is calling (provided both you and them have the bandwidth for it).
Exactly as you denote, the possible bandwidth hit has to really be thought through because:
(1) They stream 96kbit audio to the AllGames Shoutcast Server and
(2) They run FlashMediaEncoder to compress the video down a lot to send to Justin.tv (I don't know what quality)

I think both of those tasks are done on Rob's Desktop. The question is how WebCam Max interacts with FME. I'm assuming you can dump anything into FME and it'll encode it and send it off, so if it just takes whatever WebCam Max sends to it, this should be doable.

But. Then the question becomes where does Rob control Skype from? Bear in mind there's a good old Mixer handling the multiple mics, studio audio out, and all everything else.

I should probably stop speculating and let those in-studio answer this, because I really don't know the entire topology. The studio has changed (only slightly, and by slightly I mean completely) since I was in-studio over 5 years ago...

pkjr92 wrote:Anyways, if you do ever end up doing, use WebCam Max. It's the program Bobby use on Friday Night Gaming, and I have it, and it works great.

Yeah, Bobby's setup is pretty damn impressive. Is it free? I like a lot of what it does, it seems to be very comperably capable as the Tricaster that Leo Leporte uses on his TWiT Network shows.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby pkjr92 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:04 pm

In terms of connecting with FME, WebcamMax just installs a driver as a video device (like a webcam) and you just choose WebcamMax Capture from the FME drop-down box. And also in reference to Bobby's setup, it works really good, and it costs far less than a tricaster
pkjr92
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm going to be brutally honest, as much as I like the concept and understand it, I'm not really eager to go out of my way to set it up because we're a radio show, not a video show. I think we did a lot as it is for justin.tv when we're a radio show. Friday night gaming is different because you'll hear Bobby say quite the opposite sometimes, that IS a TV show.

Also technically I don't think it's feasible.

Let me try to paint a portrait of how we have things set up for those that are curious... and hopefully I'll sound a lot less bitchy if I paint a picture here of just how convoluded everything is in studio :mrgreen:

Mics go to>>

Mixing board which plugs into >>

A splitter that splits off to
A>> My computer
B>> Red/Whte audio plugs that plug into the Video Capture box for Justin.TV

A>> My computer, using a "What U Hear" style mixing board does all the following during the show
* Picks up Mixing board from Line-In
* Picks up Skype via Wave Out
* Picks up Audio cues (mailbag music, break music, etc.) via Wave Out
* Sends show to All Games Radio via Shoutcast

Meanwhile, a JVC Everio camera picks up live video that feeds video into>>

A DVD player which splits the signal to>>
A>>An In studio TV
B>>Yellow Video out that joins audio B above in the video capture device

The Video Capture device actually plugs into Loki's laptop, and that is what runs flash media encoder during the show. It's not plugged into my desktop because of all the other shit running on it (flash media WILL crack under the pressure). So sometimes JTV goes down because it's on wireless internet not wired like my computer, but this is where I people to just deal with it because JTV is not the main priority :P

I think that about covers it. When LOKI plays a game live on air during the break like he did this week, he'll simply unplug the everio from the VCR and plug in his PS3 instead.

When we do a "JTV Post Show", we'll actually fire up flash media encoder on my computer so we can have the "What U Hear" mixing board so we can talk over the game AND have the game's audio... the DVD player actually ALSO can feed back to the mixing board "in" which we will plug in when we are doing this.

Anyhow, the skype thing, as far as I know, won't work because JTV happens on Loki's laptop but Skype happens on my desktop.

Phew! I think that about covers it! :D
Rob Roberts-- Contaminating Internet Radio since 1998
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby pkjr92 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean, but the video doesn't do anything but go in between the camera and justin.tv. You just use a movable box for PIP, and move so that it shows the Skype video. The audio can still be received the same way it always was. It basically just allows you to have 2 cameras, one physical and one virtual (of the computer screen). You just drag the virtual on around until you like where it is.

Oh and in response to OLR being a radio show, not a video show, I totally agree. As long as callers aren't constantly showing things over the video feed, it's just a little bonus for live visitors.
pkjr92
Supporter
Supporter

Postby allenborder » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi..
I am new to this forum and also new to the skype...
So if you guys don't mind give me some basic details about skype...
allenborder
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Suggestions/Opinions