Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Instructions for the IRC Channel Switch

Any official notices that don't make the front page will be here.

Instructions for the IRC Channel Switch

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am

Instructions for general IRC Client Users
Java (website) chat users, IGNORE THIS. Details at the bottom.
I would hope that anyone having to read these instructions has a pre-built list of servers. If you don't, I might suggest that you get a better IRC client, as yours might cause you nothing but frustration.

For most IRC client users:
If you're set to connect automatically to Otherside, you may want to consider disabling that now, since there's only one day left (as of now anyways) to be on that network.

Your list of servers should contain a section for 'GameSurge'. In most cases, you should simply be able to click on that category, then click connect to it. You may need to choose a specific server. GameSurge's IRC server hubs are regionally dispersed, so choose the one in, or closest to, your region.

For some IRC client users:
If you do not have an entry in your server list for GameSurge, I'd first recommend that you upgrade your client and try again. Barring that, you'll have to input the server list manually.
Due to the sheer amount of IRC clients out there, I'm not going to even try to make specific walkthrough's.

I'm going to give a general order of what needs to be done, if you need help, consult your IRC client's website or built in help.

First thing to do is create the GameSurge 'group'. All servers in your IRC client are hopefully clustered into categories/groups/networks, so add GameSurge if it isn't there already.
Once it's added, it's time to add specific servers to the group.
GameSurge IRC uses a round robin system to spread traffic and lighten the load where necessary, in most cases, you should be able to simply add: irc.gamesurge.net and connect to it.
GameSurge should place you on the closest regional server, assuming it is up, functional, and not filled to capacity. In which case, it'll just send you somewhere else.

If you want to be nitpicky and choose a cluster specific to your region, try one of the following:
irc.us.gamesurge.net
irc.eu.gamesurge.net

All of our overseas listeners will likely want to add and connect to the .eu. server to chat, performance is typically vastly better when the connection doesn't have to travel over the water.
All of our listeners here in america... well, if I have to explain it, you're probably not even an IRC client user. In which case, why are you reading this?

If you want to connect to one specific server all the time, you're too damn picky for me to care to help you. Go do your own research and figure out how to do it yourself.

Note:
Hardware fails, networks go down, problems occur. For this reason, it's typically advisable to add all three servers to your server list. Just in case something goes wrong, you'll have a fall back.

Once you've connected to the server, join #orangelounge
It's just that simple!

Instructions for general Java/Web Chat Users
I'll do everything necessary to make the updates, and for you it will "just work"(tm). Did you expect to have to do something? Sorry!

General GameSurge IRC Notes
GameSurge does NOT use NickServ, so DO NOT use it. DO NOT message it, don't even bother.

You register an account at GameSurge's website, on the Account Registration page. You then identify by messaging AuthServ@Services.gamesurge.net with your username and password.

Note:
This IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE DONE IN ORDER TO CHAT!!! This is a GAMESURGE account, NOT an Orange Lounge Radio account.
If you don't want to have to sign up, don't!

If you have a problem, I need the error message in order to even have a place to start.
Know also that depending on what the problem is, I cannot fix everything. I do not have ANY power on the GameSurge IRC network.
I, nor any of Orange Lounge Radio staff, are directly related to GameSurge IRC. We are utilizing their FREE services, but we have NO power over THEIR network.

If you tell me "I can't connect" and nothing else, then I can't help you, sorry.
Try learning how to Ask Smart Questions.

If you have any NETWORK concerns, please see the GameSurge Website for details.
Anything I didn't cover, feel free to ask here.
Last edited by VxJasonxV on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby jeremytodd1 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:16 am

I managed to get on the GameSurge server, but I don't know how to get into the OLR channel. How do I do that?

I click on Options - Servers - Then:

IRC Network: GameSurge

IRC Server: orangeloungeradio

Port: 6667

Group: GameSurge

Password:

How do I get to the orangeloungeradio chatroom?
jeremytodd1
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby skie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:00 pm

Your server actually needs to be : irc.gamesurge.net

Then when you're connected, type: /join #orangelounge
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby jeremytodd1 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:21 pm

Ok, thanks skie and Jason!

One more question though, do I have to type /join #orangelounge everytime I want to join? Or is there some type of auto connect to OLR that I can't find? (I don't know mucha bout IRC >.<)

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.
jeremytodd1
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Note also, jeremy.
#orangelounge
Not #orangeloungeradio :P
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby jeremytodd1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Thats true. I suck at the internet. :(
jeremytodd1
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Sai-kun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:54 pm

Jaon I can't get in ;-;

Every time I try and connect to the server, it disconnects me because of a "bad username" and it tells me to use the first part of my email address as my nick but I didn't enter an email address when I first used it.

=/ I could get in fine before, but...
This is how it all beginS
Sai-kun
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:42 am

Assuming you're using mIRC... you uhhh.
Just change your username (not your nickname! your username. it's part of the 'identd' information or whatever) to 'saikun' (all lower case, no space, no -).

If you're using Trillian... go look at my instructions for yurilover, some of the information there will lead you to find the 'username' part.

If anything else, hop on Java Chat and get a hold of me.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to News and Announcements