Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

PS3 has "Entitlements"

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

PS3 has "Entitlements"

Postby Eddy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:59 pm

Joystiq wrote:In the July 19 EGM Live Podcast, editor Dan Hsu reported that Sony's new, yet oddly familiar, points system will allow gamers to pile up "entitlements" by achieving certain goals in PS3 games. Set aside, for a moment, the fact that this entire concept is a blatant rip-off of Microsoft. It doesn't even make sense. Last I checked, entitlements were something the modern welfare state sent your grandmother in the mail, not things that you earn through toil and tears. Microsoft calls them "achievements" because you're..um...achieving something. This is a hilariously awkward attempt by Sony to avoid using their rival's nomenclature that denotes both a lack of creativity and a failure to comprehend the English language. I guess "goals" and "accomplishments" were also taken. Leave it to Kutaragi & Krew to come up with a reward system that sounds like they're doling out government cheese to the indigent. Then again, if you plunk down $600 for PS3, you better be entitled to something besides a hefty credit card bill.

I almost can't believe this will be in the final product. Is Sony as dense as they are shameless?

And Sony accuses Microsoft of copying them.

OBJECTION!
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ssj100matt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 am

Theres no such thing as an original idea anymore...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Graywulf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 pm

The whole copying thing is a load of crap anyhow if there are any copyright infringement you can count on it that there will be a lawsuit that follows.

What bugs me more is the fanboy press agents insighting the crap throwing I remember it was a time when it was just companies making new consoles with controllers not people claiming its a copy off of thier game machine and their controller.

We would still be left with the Oddessy if that were true only when an American system gets created all this copying starts.

But thats allways going to be the political way of things from the US and the press.

If one company can come out with a system and another makes a system that is better in more ways why get so upset unless you own the company or own stock cause we all benefit from having a better machine to replace the old one.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 pm

Greywulf, calm down, I wasn't saying that Sony copying Microsoft was a bad thing, in fact, a good system should be copied, for example, I would KILL for some games to copy the party system off of Halo 2 on Xbox Live, but alas, no one has.

I just find it awfully ironic that it was Sony that accuses Microsoft of copying them when they are the ones that copied two of Xbox's biggest features, Live, and Achievements.

Although you have to admit, very little of the Playstation is original ideas.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:37 pm

the same can be said of XBOX that is the reason for my rant.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:15 pm

Alright, in all seriousness who cares...

Ideas and concepts are always being recycled over and over again... Its like that in almost every media... And im sure ALMOST every game is "copied" off of something else... Legend of Zelda was "copied/inspired" by the movie Legend... Halo can be said that it was copied/inspired off of several movies, one of which being Aliens... Even George Lucas took elements/pieces of older movies/shows like Flash Gordon and Seven Samurai to create Star Wars...

Anyways the point im trying to make here is that EVERYTHING is "copied" or inspired by something else... Someone once told me that, "Companies that make a product after another product but make it better, always get the greater praise"... And until we see what the PS3 can actually do we can't start screaming witch just yet...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Eddy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Graywulf wrote:the same can be said of XBOX that is the reason for my rant.

I completely agree, most of the Xbox IS NOT original ideas. However, it was the first console to include a hard drive, the first console with a unified online service, first console with achievements, the first console with something like Live Arcade, and so on and so forth.

The PS2 had the ability to play DVDs, was the first console with USB and IEEE 1394(FireWire) surpport.

The difference between the two consoles was that Xbox and 360 copied things that have been in existence for a long time, and never accused its competitor of copying them. PS3, on the other hand, copied old as well as original ideas from Microsoft (Xbox Live, achievements, marketplace)and turns around and calls Microsoft the copycat. I do not consider the motion sensing as copying because it is been around for a long time, and nobody really can claim original ownership anymore. Live, Arcade, and Marketplace on the other hand, is clearly known in the community as original ideas from Microsoft.

ssj100matt wrote:Anyways the point im trying to make here is that EVERYTHING is "copied" or inspired by something else... Someone once told me that, "Companies that make a product after another product but make it better, always get the greater praise"... And until we see what the PS3 can actually do we can't start screaming witch just yet...

But then again, just how much more better can you make something like Achievements better? I mean, what is there left to improve on?
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm

PS2 had a spot for a harddrive long before the XBOX and the only reason they didnt go with online cause they didnt think it would take off like it did with XBOX .

since the XBox had substantiated an online service demographic that worked so they have a currency that is combined with other games on the console it is only with blind stupidity that someone couldnt come up with that idea come on.

after all the rest of the XBOXs ideas come from the PC.

Microsoft just hasnt gone as far as to call the 360 a computer even tho it can be.

other than that I think it goes back to what I first said that the copying others idea is tottally crap anyhow no matter who it comes from.

companies sue each other over copying so let it be.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 am

Graywulf wrote:PS2 had a spot for a harddrive long before the XBOX and the only reason they didnt go with online cause they didnt think it would take off like it did with XBOX .
Yes, but that's not his point. His point was that the Xbox, CAME WITH, the hard drive. And the online features were built even at the low level of the console ITSELF. The playstation 2's dashboard did not have online features, and you had to have the disk in order to configure the network adapter.
Those features came STOCK (out of the box) with the xbox.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Graywulf » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:56 am

yeah so out of box means nothing when you say it is copying when it is allready capable and made capable.

everybody in the world knows it was out of box capable its copying an idea thats the question.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby krispykreme » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:07 am

Its just become part of the Industry to do what everyone else is doing. People are gonna copy each other.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Graywulf » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:18 pm

krispykreme wrote:Its just become part of the Industry to do what everyone else is doing. People are gonna copy each other.

Exactly what I am talkin about thats why its crap to talk about it only someone thats jealous says you copied me, they should just stick to sueing each other.

But what I am really upset about is the change that is going on in the gaming world because of the finger pointing and the mine is better than yours crap.

Its come down to making the best system for gaming and thats probably the only thing benificial other than that it spreads fear in the developers not knowing what will sell in the gaming market.

before Microsoft entered the scene it wasnt like this, when XBOX came out I just laughed now its just anoying cause I dont care if they make it to 10million units sold I want games or something more interesting than a expensive paper weight.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Graywulf wrote:before Microsoft entered the scene it wasnt like this, when XBOX came out I just laughed now its just anoying cause I dont care if they make it to 10million units sold I want games or something more interesting than a expensive paper weight.

First off you cant point fingers at who started it because then you wouldnt be any better than them... Second Xbox does have several games that almost convinced me to get one... But when the 360 came out i didnt bother... And i wont bother to purchase the 360 till i see the outcome from what Sony will lay down for the PS3...

But i think the general concencous with people is that while Sony and Microsoft fling mud and hardware at eachother, people will enjoy playing with their Wii (*rimshot*) till the outcome....

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Graywulf » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:15 pm

for me it was like 1 maybe 4 games on 360 that are tempting me to buy but the wII and the PS3 have about 20 or 30 games comming out for it that most of them on PS3 so I can save myself 400 and not get the 360.

Just like I saved my money on XBOX cause the Cube and the PS2 had way more games that I liked and guess what those games are destined to be redone on the new systems oh for joy!!!
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:12 pm

20-30 PS3 games that tempt you to buy one? would you mind naming some of them?
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Next

Return to Console Gaming Chatter