Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Sony's Racially Charged PSP ad

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Sony's Racially Charged PSP ad

Postby krispykreme » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:51 pm

Basically Sony has put out a billboard for the white PSP. And it seems people are taking it as racist.

krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby GrinWithoutaKat » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:02 pm

It's part of a series of them. Here's some others..

And a Sony quote...

"A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland."
GrinWithoutaKat
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:31 pm

why do i have a rotten feeling we will have to hear MJ's- Black and White song with this...

"But, If
You’re Thinkin’
About My Baby
It Don’t Matter If You’re
Black Or White "

He's right it really doesnt matter if your black or white... Just make more quality games for it

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby YURILOVER » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:22 pm

They make me Wii go up. :( Is that a bad thing?
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby djratchet » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:42 pm

Lol. They aren't really racist, but it is fun to say that they are. Lol. SONY YOU RACIST!!!!!!
djratchet
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:55 pm

This is my opinion on the matter:

For the North American people that see this as racist, it is because that they are ashamed of the past, where they ancestors had enslaved the African race. And for those who are outside of North America and think this is racist, it may be that there were black slaves in their country before as well, or they are so influenced my American culture that they think the same way many Americans do. As an example to my theory, If they made the PSP yellow, and had a Chinese woman in those ads instead of a black one, nobody would be saying a thing about it. Or, as another example, if the white and black woman switched places, asnd it was the BLACK PSP being advertised, nobody would be saying a thing. Why is that? If a white woman dominating a black woman is racist, shouldn't black people dominating white people be racist too? Or is it that only white people casn be racist?

I don't mean to offend annyone with this comment, it is just the way I see it.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby djratchet » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:51 pm

Eddy wrote:This is my opinion on the matter:

For the North American people that see this as racist, it is because that they are ashamed of the past, where they ancestors had enslaved the African race. And for those who are outside of North America and think this is racist, it may be that there were black slaves in their country before as well, or they are so influenced my American culture that they think the same way many Americans do. As an example to my theory, If they made the PSP yellow, and had a Chinese woman in those ads instead of a black one, nobody would be saying a thing about it. Or, as another example, if the white and black woman switched places, asnd it was the BLACK PSP being advertised, nobody would be saying a thing. Why is that? If a white woman dominating a black woman is racist, shouldn't black people dominating white people be racist too? Or is it that only white people casn be racist?

I don't mean to offend annyone with this comment, it is just the way I see it.

Good points. It should be noted though: the white girl isn't dominant in all the pictures. I like what your saying though. My SERIOUS opinion about this is: it is just an ad. It is not meant to mean anything. It is there to ADVERTISE, nothing else.
djratchet
Supporter
Supporter

Postby YURILOVER » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Eddy wrote:As an example to my theory, If they made the PSP yellow, and had a Chinese woman in those ads instead of a black one, nobody would be saying a thing about it.
Oh, I know plenty of people who would say soo many things about it. About more than 1/5 of the world's population is Chinese and not all of them are in China. There surely would be another Tiennamen massacre if that ever happened.
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby SpaceCommanderface » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:23 pm

Y Blaco Y Negro
SpaceCommanderface
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Eddy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Maybe I didn't make my meaning very clear. What I mean is that the same people who are calling it racist now wouldn't say too much about it. I am Chinese, and to be perfectly frank, I wouldn't consider this sort of ad at all offensive if there was a ad like that.

And another point. What if, say in the X-men movie (haven't seen the new one yet, on a totally unrelated note) Rogue or Jean Grey owned up Storm? I'll bet you that nobody would consider that racist at all, and it would be more violent the the suggestion of violence in this ad. Jackie Chan and Jet Li gets beaten in some movies, and noone think that is racist either.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Return to Console Gaming Chatter