Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

The Bully Fiasco

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

The Bully Fiasco

Postby Sakurina » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Doesn't anyone else find this whole Bully fiasco by the anti-bullying groups completely awkward? I'm not just talking about their silly demands, but also that they are judging the game before any information has been given.

If Rockstar makes a game where in the ending, the bully dies of guilt and stress, those silly parent groups better stop judging too early. And they'll be owned. Since this isn't GTA, they could very well do this. And for the record, I wish Rockstar does this, just to see the look on the parents' faces.

Of course, they're always some bastard that will attempt what they saw in the game, but it's not to be blamed on the game. It should be blamed on the person playing the game who's being a mindless retard by attempting these things, and the parents for not looking at the content being shown to their children which may have influenced them.

All this "videogames are bad" talk is even starting to influence student life around here. Last year, our school bought an XBox for the rec room, and we already had two NESes (in very pityful condition), and they were both removed because the administration were influenced by the GTA madness.

Sure, arguably, you can say videogames doesn't belong in school, but still... with videogames being a part of pop culture these days, they should just say that no Mature games are allowed at school instead of banning videogames altogether. Hell, I got yelled at for taking out my GBA with Final Fantasy in the schoolyard.

With all this going on, I have to say that senators of the US are being whiny bitches about everything and it's even affecting environments that used to be fun. I even tried to start a Bemani club at school, but it was rejected because it was a videogame.

If the fucking lawyers, senators, and parents of the world would do their job, none of this would be going on. Sorry for the ranting, it's just pissing me off the hear about these bastards.
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Bully Fiasco

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:30 am

[edit]
More proof to attribute to Jack's crazyness.
He was against someone who even agreed with him. Purportedly only because the e-mailer's signature contained notes about him being a gaming site webmaster.
http://aelon.net/2005/07/jack-thompson-straw-man/
[/edit]

Sakurina wrote:If Rockstar makes a game where in the ending, the bully dies of guilt and stress, those silly parent groups better stop judging too early. And they'll be owned. Since this isn't GTA, they could very well do this. And for the record, I wish Rockstar does this, just to see the look on the parents' faces.
I think that would be an amazing ending, and true to form.

I presume you've heard the 'chatterbox' interview already?
If not, go check it out (80 minutes).
For the record, I think their concept was great, but their execution was not.

Also, just for laughs, check out LORD VOLDEMORT's history and the amount of bullshit he blames on video games, including the D.C. Sniper attacks.
This isn't a guy we need on the side of politicians that are supposed to be OUR VOICE.

I'd like to hear more from Hillary Clinton, and see her exact view on things, because Jack is a narrow minded tunnel-visioned asshat.

I no longer blame the ESRB for anything besides giving into the 'developers must submit all hidden content' bull.

It's like VGCats put it.
You can play through ALL of San Andreas, even WITH a Strategy Guide that shows everything, and NEVER EVER EVER see the Hot Coffee mods.
And Jack says it's not hidden, *sigh*.

This guy reminds me of an interview on Al Franken's show about a month back with Ed Klein.
In an attempt to make a point, Ed Klein pulled up any dirt and tied it together, whether factual or not was unimportant.

For example, "Killer 7 features adult full on passionate sex."
It's too bad they were fully clothed :D.
(Note: This is what *I* have dug up. I'm playing through the game right now, however, for verification.
LOKI, do you have anything on this?)

Sakurina wrote:All this "videogames are bad" talk is even starting to influence student life around here. Last year, our school bought an XBox for the rec room, and we already had two NESes (in very pityful condition), and they were both removed because the administration were influenced by the GTA madness.

Sure, arguably, you can say videogames doesn't belong in school, but still... with videogames being a part of pop culture these days, they should just say that no Mature games are allowed at school instead of banning videogames altogether. Hell, I got yelled at for taking out my GBA with Final Fantasy in the schoolyard.

With all this going on, I have to say that senators of the US are being whiny bitches about everything and it's even affecting environments that used to be fun. I even tried to start a Bemani club at school, but it was rejected because it was a videogame.
There are those that embrace it, and those that banish it.
And then comes the witch hunt to those who attempt to hold on to that which has been banished.
Games aren't evil. They aren't anything more than simulators.
Yes, the army does train on simulators, but they also push the hell out of you and mold you.
You can only do that to yourself when playing a game.

And yes, parents are falling back on society to raise their kid instead of them having to be inconvenienced to do it.
There are other problems to attribute to that (abuse, single parent, low income, etc.) but that's a whole other rant.

[/soapbox]

[edit2]
Swoops, fixed Sakurina.
Last edited by VxJasonxV on Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Sakurina » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Erm, the link to the interview gives me a 404. :/
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:53 am

Sakurina wrote:Erm, the link to the interview gives me a 404. :/
Whoooops, fixed.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby ssj100matt » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:16 am

No one wanted to bust heads when they announced Rockstar was making "The Warriors the game"... If people know their movie history, that the movie The warriors started tons and tons of gang violence when it was released in 79'... I mean times are diffrent now but im surprised that these groups arent going after every game Rockstar makes...
ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter