Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Crackdown Opinions

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Crackdown Opinions

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am

Ok. So;

If anyone read the halo 3 beta news thread, you saw my comment mentioning that the Crackdown Demo was so much fun that I wanted to play the game when it came out.
I didn't care about Halo 3.

Well, I'm starting to think the other way. I hope that the Halo 3 beta makes me care enough to put my Crackdown disc back in my 360.

You see, I beat Crackdown a few nights back, and 'lo and behold the ending is trivial, anti-climactic, and downright annoying.

I would explain it in detail, but I'd do nothing but spoil it.

I loved the game. I had a blast with it. Leveling up your agility is the best part, because Hulk'ing it through the cities is a great feeling. Even when you miss your target, the feeling of "please don't die when you hit the ground" felt so rewarding, because you knew you wouldn't do it again.

This was only helped by the fact that the game ran so quickly and smoothly, and even if you died, you were back in action pretty fast. Especially if the gangs/bosses were close to a recovered supply point.

I had a blast. I trudged through the game, and just a few days ago beat the Final Crime.

And then the ending sequence played, and my taste and happiness for the game fell through the floor.

The ending was awful, predictable, and in general just completely turned me off to the game.
I don't even want to turn it back on to get the rest of the achievements.
I do admit, I'm interested in playing it over on a harder gang level, but the game just seems so worthless to me now.

I think it was the biggest letdown I've ever had in gaming (and I remember waiting for Duke Nukem Forever!).

Is it just me? Or did "the final payoff" (i.e. the ending) in Crackdown just completely and totally suck?
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby WarriorBob » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Replay the game on a harder difficulty and declare your 'end' to be some arbitrary point of your choosing. Then invent a story of your own that ties up the ends nicely.

I used to do this for 8-bit games when I was a kid and games didn't have cutscenes. I remember I gave the guy in the Defender ship quite a personality at one point.

Alternately, shoot cars or something and remember how fun that is.
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:52 pm

I was thinking of stepping up to the hardest difficulty.
I also kinda wonder if Co-Op will do anything.

I think a lot of the complaint is that it was too short considering how you progress.
I beat it and two of my skills (Driving, and Firearms) are still not even level 4.

It's just that it was so easy. Even if you die, you're right back into it with little penalty (so far as I noticed anyways).

That can be a good thing, but at the same time it just felt pretty disappointing.

The funny thing is that the ending narration reminded me of real life, because there are certain parallels as to how things are done nowadays. I would think I would normally laugh at such things, but I guess, again, the ending was just so... anti-climactic as I said.

I don't know, it was just a strange feeling, never had it before in gaming.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Console Gaming Chatter