Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

PC monitor+ nexgen consol= HD goodness

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

PC monitor+ nexgen consol= HD goodness

Postby kenzo0 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 am

I remember Loki mentioning that he uses his computer monitor in order to see his next gen consoles in HD. I wish to do the same. I have a Dell Flat Panel monitor that has s-video input, composite video input, VGA input, and DVI input. Am I able to use my monitor for HD? If so, how?
kenzo0
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Eddy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Buy a 360 VGA cable.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby WarriorBob » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 pm

Eddy wrote:Buy a 360 VGA cable.

If you're using a 360, I think this is the ideal solution. I have one and it works great, although the colors are darker than I am used to. I don't know enough about monitors and video signal to say whether this is a difference between my TV and my monitor or if there's something about the cable I have, but games play great and the high resolutions are very nice.

If you're using some other machine, invest the money into a good component -> VGA converter. Do your research first as I understand there are a few different models out there with varying features, and prices. As with anything HD, you're probably going to have to spend a fair amount of cash to get the best output.
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kenzo0 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:04 am

I see. Thanks. What would I do about sound though, since it will be connected to my monitor?
kenzo0
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Eddy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:58 am

All VGA cables, be they PS3 or 360 and Wii if there is one, comes with the standard white and red jacks for audio. So, either get some speakers that use those jacks, or buy a converter that lets you plug them in the Headphone-jack types.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby LOKI » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:39 pm

The xbox 360 vga cable is awesome. My only regret is my old monitor is starting to lose it's brightness. I do need a good VGA cable for my ps2/ps3 systems still.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TigerClaw » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Getting the VGA cable for the 360 is the way to go if you want to play your games in HD. Depending on the type of monitor you have, They can support 720p, 1080i or 1080p. All widescreen 19" monitors support 720p while the 24" or higher are capable of doing 1080i or 1080p.
TigerClaw
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby kenzo0 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:46 pm

TigerClaw wrote:Getting the VGA cable for the 360 is the way to go if you want to play your games in HD. Depending on the type of monitor you have, They can support 720p, 1080i or 1080p. All widescreen 19" monitors support 720p while the 24" or higher are capable of doing 1080i or 1080p.
Well I have a Dell Flat Panel Display 20 inch Dual 2000FP. Thanks for the advice. Finally, I'll be able to see next gen graphics in their full glory.
kenzo0
New Listener
New Listener

Return to Console Gaming Chatter