Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Woman dies after a competition for a Wii

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Woman dies after a competition for a Wii

Postby gs68 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:04 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/15/wii_death/
A mother of three died from water intoxication after a radio station drinking competition, a California coroner said on Saturday. Jennifer Strange, 28, competed in Sacramento station KDND 107.9's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest to try to win Nintendo's console for her children.

And you thought jackasses who allow their Wiimotes to fly out of their hands was bad enough.
gs68 / TsundeRay - The OLRmy's SF Bay Area representative!
gs68
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ssj100matt » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:27 am

I believe Travis said he knew this woman...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby skie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:07 pm

This happened in the exact same town where OLR is headquartered.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 pm

ssj100matt wrote:I believe Travis said he knew this woman...

Well his old show, Under Sedation Live! used to be held right here in sac too, so he probably did know this woman :(

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby skie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Welp, the morning DJ's all got fired today...

Maybe I should go see if there are any sudden job openings at the station? :D
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:51 pm

skie wrote:Welp, the morning DJ's all got fired today...

Maybe I should go see if there are any sudden job openings at the station? :D

Schlagwerk wrote:Aww that was bad.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby jongipson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Thats outragous =o How could someone be so stupid -_-
Last edited by jongipson on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jongipson
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby sammm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:02 pm

OH yea... i heard about this on that annoying aol startup thing when you sign on to AIM...

is the radio station really responsible?
sammm
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby MelBofRTF » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:56 pm

What, no one was fluent in Trauma Center to save her from death?

What a pity.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
MelBofRTF
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:08 pm

sammm wrote:is the radio station really responsible?

Yes and no, IMO. It was such a ridiculous contest idea and i'm surprised that the station agreed upon it. It's bullcrap to think that the hosts went into the station that morning thinking that everything was going to go swimmingly(no pun intended). What did they think was going to happen when people purposely go against nature and bodily health for so long?

Seeing from opposing views, though, the people signing up for the contest could also be accused of having knowledge of the latter and yet still continuing in the contest. As I see it, the contestants should be held responsible the moment they felt ill and still continued.

Upon further research, I googled Radiological Associates of Sacramento and visited their website. What the hell? The woman worked for a Medical Group and Health Association. Am I the only one that sees the irony? Even so, it doesn't take a medical assistant to know that something bad will eventually happen to you if you don't urinate.

It's sad to see an intelligent woman go to such an idiotic and unworthy cause.
Randy
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:16 pm

And Nintendo's named in the suit as well, I mean its their fault right? :roll:

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:And Nintendo's named in the suit as well, I mean its their fault right? :roll:

DT

A suit? Where was that mentioned in the article?
Randy
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Randy wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:And Nintendo's named in the suit as well, I mean its their fault right? :roll:

DT

Well it wasn't in the article; I heard it on the news (during day 50 of their nonstop coverage :/)

edit: it's just that's all they've reported on for the past week, that's all.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:
Randy wrote:

DT

Well it wasn't in the article; I heard it on the news (during day 50 of their nonstop coverage :/)

edit: it's just that's all they've reported on for the past week, that's all.

DT

Your'e right.

The family is suing the radio station?! That's ridiculous! What's going to be their statement in court, "Our relative killed herself due to water intoxication, and it's the station's fault?"

Lawsuits are becoming the next big trend in America, and it's disgusting to see so many people suing left and right recently for everything.

Quoting the article:

"The station knew this was a dangerous and potentially deadly stunt, but flippantly dismissed the dangers," lawyer Roger Dreyer said in a statement. "Hearing the tape, it's very clear they knew of the dangers and could foresee that this could lead to Jennifer's death."

Even if the station was totally aware of the dangers, Strange knew more about it than anyone else. I mean, you're going to tell me that a medical assistant was totally unaware of the dangers of water intoxication? What a load. Strange also "flippantly dismissed the dangers" when she joined the contest and continued, despite being ill.
Randy
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Randy wrote:
The family is suing the radio station?! That's ridiculous! What's going to be their statement in court, "Our relative killed herself due to water intoxication, and it's the station's fault?"

Lawsuits are becoming the next big trend in America, and it's disgusting to see so many people suing left and right recently for everything.

Not as ridiculous as naming Nintendo themselves in the suit. (I don't even know where to begin to respond to that.)

Randy wrote:Quoting the article:

"The station knew this was a dangerous and potentially deadly stunt, but flippantly dismissed the dangers," lawyer Roger Dreyer said in a statement. "Hearing the tape, it's very clear they knew of the dangers and could foresee that this could lead to Jennifer's death."

Even if the station was totally aware of the dangers, Strange knew more about it than anyone else. I mean, you're going to tell me that a medical assistant was totally unaware of the dangers of water intoxication? What a load. Strange also "flippantly dismissed the dangers" when she joined the contest and continued, despite being ill.

On a related topic, I haven't heard a single word on if there were any medical staff of any kind on hand for this, so I'm assuming not. (as I read on gaming blogs like kotaku, shows like Fear Factor always have that sort of staff on hand, just incase.)

The only way the station could save face, IMO is to donate a Wii to the family...

DT*

* check your PM.
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Next

Return to Console Gaming Chatter