Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

How Did Your PS3 Launch Go?

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

How Did Your PS3 Launch Go?

Postby robbway » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:24 am

Relate what you know about how the stores with no preorders (e.g. Best Buy, Target, Circuit CIty) went. Just cite your city in the message.

There were many incidents of inline fighting, so most of the problems were the customers. In the nearby town I live in, the stores and the police agreed not to let people form a line during non-business hours.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Blackwolf » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:02 am

I got my preorder from EB at Midnight. Got it home and discovered that there was no video output. Have to send it back to Sony and they'll get me a new unit in about a week.
Blackwolf
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Graywulf » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:12 am

Had to work so Ill have to wait just wondering after seeing what they are going for on ebay can jamie hold out from selling her husbands machine.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Blackwolf wrote:I got my preorder from EB at Midnight. Got it home and discovered that there was no video output. Have to send it back to Sony and they'll get me a new unit in about a week.

Crap that sucks Bobby... Stuff like this makes me happy that im waiting 6months before i get one.... Because obviously this is a rushed product and by the time i get it they should have their act together...

{Edit} As a side note i just saw a Raw video of a near riot in Sacramento/Fresno... Its pretty insane... I'm curious if Skie, Loki or DS saw it... If anyone wants to see it, its on the cbs13.com website...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby Eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 pm

Graywulf wrote:Had to work so Ill have to wait just wondering after seeing what they are going for on ebay can jamie hold out from selling her husbands machine.

Shows how much he's listened to the podcast... :roll:
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby MrKenji » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:27 pm

Las Vegas, NV - There were quite the tents out at the Maryland Parkway Best Buy. Went to pick up my copy of FFIII and saw at least forty people in line ON WEDNESDAY.

I didn't hear exactly what happened from other stores, but... it got pretty hectic, from what I heard. A few scuffles. Over a game machine.

Goddamn, people- give me something to RESTORE my faith in humanity; not plunge it further into the abyss.
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

Postby DarkSakura » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Graywulf wrote:Had to work so Ill have to wait just wondering after seeing what they are going for on ebay can jamie hold out from selling her husbands machine.

Um, you very obviously didn't listen to my rant about how anyone selling a PS3 for more than they paid for it on eBay is a big loser. If Dan did that with ours, then I would very much question if I can stay with someone of such shallow morals or not.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby YURILOVER » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:28 pm

I hope it went well for those guys at www.smashmyps3.com XD
Click All Zig.
YURILOVER
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DJPooEater » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:36 pm

I don't know how well it went this morning but I do know I went to best buy about 2 days ago (Wednesday) and there were 2 tents outside of their doors...... 2 DAYS!!! WTF!!!

BTW: I'm in Arlington Texas
DJPooEater
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Kind of off topic but... in front of one of our biggest malls in Vancouver had 2 lines in front of it. Now, this mall has a Future Shop and an EBGames, so you would think they are for PS3 and the Wii or something right?

Wrong.

Due to hevy rainfall, some of water were polluted and deemed unsafe for human consumption (unless you boil it) for a few days. So, the other line was a line to buy bottled water!

Sad part is, though, quite a few fights broke out in the water line... while the PS3 were chatting with each other, playing some DS/PSP, and generally having a good time.

At our store though, I have possibly seen the worst console launch in gaming history. We had 2 consoles, so you do the math...
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Calculate

Postby robbway » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:43 am

Eddy wrote:...At our store though, I have possibly seen the worst console launch in gaming history. We had 2 consoles, so you do the math...

Customer 1: Thank You! It was all worth it!

+

Customer 2: The last one? Holy Shit!

=

Customer 3: You've gotta sleep sometime....
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Graywulf » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:26 am

DarkSakura wrote:

Um, you very obviously didn't listen to my rant about how anyone selling a PS3 for more than they paid for it on eBay is a big loser. If Dan did that with ours, then I would very much question if I can stay with someone of such shallow morals or not.

no I listened to that podcast thats the reason i made the post. I also wrote a letter to the mailbag you didnt read it i see.

thats ok im all for your morals I commended you in an email.

Just was giving a say as to the big temptation it is to sell a machine that you might not care so much about after it has been sold for over 15,000.
Graywulf
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrKenji » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:06 pm

DarkSakura, according to the podcast, does that mean that you're not for the idea of markup at all, or just in the gaming industry?

As a cook, I'm well aware of the markup that purveyors put on produce. It's not a lot on some common things, like romaine hearts, dijon mustard, blue cheese and the like- but say, pomegranates? Imported japanese soy sauce? 25 year-old solera sherry vinegar? They're not cheap, that's for sure- but a pretty price is paid to ensure on something that's (supposedly) high quality and especially unique, almost artisan, if you will. $60 a bottle of 30 year balsamic that's really only $15 to produce? I will pay for such an item.

Let's not get into wine. Oh god, some of those things go for well over 300% markup. But we do it anyways. Does that mean that chefs and managers are ripping people off, and that we, as cooks, or you, as consumers, are being instruments of that, completely unaware?

Or rather, is it the fact that in our naieve, capitalist society people are trying to take advantage of parents and relatives, whose kids' christmas hearts will be utterly destroyed if they don't get "the one thing on their list", and rabid gamers, who don't have the time of day to stand in line and wait four to nine days prior to a game system's launch?

Either way, I applaud your high standard of morals, Jamie.
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Well I wasn't able to see many other stores this week in the area but a few people in front of TRU since there were no reserves done. I picked up mine at 8AM to make sure something stupid won't happen if I go later in the day. When I entered the mall there was about 6 or so people waiting for the Gamestop to open. When I went upstairs to the EB there were only two people and stood behind them till the manager immediately called my name to come in, appearenty these other people were just friends of the manager which I thought was a bit weird since the mall didn't open for another 2 hours. So in otherwords there was not one other person to pick one up when the manager opened so early just for this because a midnight launch is too dangerous with PS3, I felt bad for him. There were three other people that just walked in and wanted a PS3 without a reserve, and I wanted to direct everyone to stop n shop but this other guy told me they were all sold out already!! I mean a grocery store who happened to get some PS3's and keep it secret till friday is already sold out, I assume someone leaked out the info because I know I kept my lips sealed about it. Now I'm officially broke since I was able to pick up Zelda and I paid off my Wii.

When I got to play it later I had to wait awhile to dl and install the new firmware since my signal strength is really weak where it's placed now. Everything seems to have worked fine except for the fact that it froze in the internet browser when I went to this site. So far I definately see the potential of this system and Sony can easily save it.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby JustiNIC » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Hit up Sony Style here in Vegas at 4AM, store opened at 8AM. There were two huge crowds of people waiting to the left and right of the entrance until security would let us form a line.

When they DID let us go to the door, it was a bloodbath. People were dashing from either side, along with another unknown group climbing through the bushes from the Strip. I got close to the door, thought I was lucky, then security said form a line along the left side. Before I could even turn around, the people who hadn't made it to the door yet were just filling in against the wall, by the time I got to the end it was at least a hundred people long. So my friends and I went to breakfast.

Then we tried to hit up Costco online at 8AM, but their servers were so slammed it wouldn't let us check out.

Going to line up for a Wii right now, wish me luck.
JustiNIC
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Next

Return to Console Gaming Chatter