Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

PSP PS1 downloads

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

PSP PS1 downloads

Postby mikew0440 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Taken from PSPUpdates, taken from Gamasutra.

"In case you are not aware, Sony has a new guy manning the senior director post of their corporate communications. He's Dave Karraker and while he isn't new to the game industry, he never expected he'll eventually end up where he is now considering his background. He actually started out as a TV reporter for CBS and NBC in Santa Barbara and Reno.

Enough about the guy and on to why he's making news today. Recently, gaming-dedicated site GamaSutra interviewed Karraker. It was a rather long interview and it was all about their marketing strategy, the PS3 launch, and other Sony stuff. However towards the end, the discussion shifted to PSP and downloadable contents. The moment we read that, we were like, "Dude, now we're talking."

"I think handheld is incredibly important for us, particularly as we start developing more and more downloadable content. And I’m not just talking about games, I’m talking about entertainment content as well," Karraker reveals. He then specifically pointed out TiVo-to-go saying it actually is a big hit. He then went on saying the DS simply cannot be compared to their product, as the former is more about gaming while the PSP offers a whole wide array of things.

The discussion then proceeded to PS1 games on the PSP. When asked how the emulated download works, Karraker explains, "Basically you just download them to the PS3, and bounce it to your PSP, and those will all be under US$ 5. And then there will be downloadable content from hotspots." Hmm, just under five bucks. What do you think?

Anyway, they then capped off the conversation with the types of games different markets dig. While actions and sports games work well with the PSP, such titles are not big hits in Japan as they prefer RPGs. Karraker then reflects, "it’s just a matter of getting the consumer in Japan accustomed to the idea of playing an expansive RPG on a handheld device."

5 bucks? I might pay for that. But for now it's just speculation.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Re: PSP PS1 downloads

Postby WarriorBob » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 pm

mikew0440 wrote:Tand those will all be under US$ 5. And then there will be downloadable content from hotspots." Hmm, just under five bucks. What do you think?

I think that's a great way to poke a small hole in Nintendo's virtual console. $5 for PS1 games seems a very good deal to me, assuming it still runs well and isn't some kind of hack.
WarriorBob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrKenji » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Meh.

Until it has some sort of killer app, there's really no reason to jump out of your chair and get it. How much power does Sony have in releasing their PS1 games? Can we expect Xenogears? FFVII? Legend of Dragoon?

... Riiiiiidge Racer?

They haven't really elaborated on it- or even on the fact if we need a PS3 or not (they mentioned we wouldn't, but... are they even that sure?).

It's almost as if an afterthought, to combat the Big N's Virtual Console. But with a giant lineup of killer apps on their way in early 2007 (Super Mario RPG? Kirby Super Star? Star Fox 64!? Mario Kart 64!?!?), can Sony stand a chance?
MrKenji
New Listener
New Listener

Postby theafroguy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:43 am

Oh, of course it's a knee-jerk reaction. In the same way that the motion-sensing features in the Sixaxis were to combat the Wiimote, and their online service is to compete with Xbox Live. Seriously, can Sony do anything original?
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am

MrKenji wrote:Meh.

Until it has some sort of killer app, there's really no reason to jump out of your chair and get it. How much power does Sony have in releasing their PS1 games? Can we expect Xenogears? FFVII? Legend of Dragoon?

... Riiiiiidge Racer?

They haven't really elaborated on it- or even on the fact if we need a PS3 or not (they mentioned we wouldn't, but... are they even that sure?).

It's almost as if an afterthought, to combat the Big N's Virtual Console. But with a giant lineup of killer apps on their way in early 2007 (Super Mario RPG? Kirby Super Star? Star Fox 64!? Mario Kart 64!?!?), can Sony stand a chance?
I really like this post, because I love classics, and the Nintendo fanboy in me agrees with MrKenji. It's odd that I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the SNES, however.

I really really hope to hear that the PS3 doesn't force you to rebuy what you already own.
If you could only put your PS1 games into the PS3, and SAVE THEM TO THE HARD DRIVE, and "bounce them" to your PSP at any time, that would be the greatest and most monumental move ever.
Don't have a game you want to play? Then buy it!

I still have all my PS1 games sitting around...

I must say... my interest in the PSP / PS3 has piqued...

1) DJ Max (THAT GAME FUCKING ROCKS)
2) PS1 emulation...

I wish I had more money, seriously.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:04 am

theafroguy wrote:Oh, of course it's a knee-jerk reaction. In the same way that the motion-sensing features in the Sixaxis were to combat the Wiimote, and their online service is to compete with Xbox Live. Seriously, can Sony do anything original?

Ugh I'm sick of people who keep saying that. With the biggest hard drive I would think that Sony thought of PS1 downloads before MS did. We heard that the PSP would do this a long time ago so it was planned, not some last minute thing that was thrown in. I seem to remember PS2 also having internet play before the xbox did since the first game that was compatible was THPS3 so they're NOT stealing that. Originally it had to be that MS needed to compete with the PS2 so they knew that they needed internet play too, but I could be wrong. Sixaxis is something that's tough to really defend there's a good chance that it was a copy. They did add more axis though compared to the wii, right? This could of been something planned earlier too only based on the fact that they knew that they weren't going to use rumble so what else could they do, but that would be only part of it if any.

I love how these dl's are looking for the PS3 looking, $5 a game for one of the best libraries of games on a console, so far this is cheaper than both 360 and Wii. And here's something original for you.......it will play on both (eventually) PS3 and PSP! So if your playing at home and need to go out but just can't stop playing there is a solution, something that no one else can do currently.
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby theafroguy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:17 am

Good points. However (and I'm sure this was brought up in Penny Arcade - except I can't find the article now :? ) it has been pointed out that although you can buy PS1 games through the PS3 and play them on your PSP, Sony has not mentioned anything about playing these downloaded games on the PS3.
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:55 pm

MrKenji wrote:... Riiiiiidge Racer?

That was the game he used to demo the PSP's PSOne downloads, remember (that one)? :P

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby tweak_ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:57 pm

What about us who dont plan on having PS3's for awhile? Its not fair to fuck the audiance that theyre not supplying to.
tweak_
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby mikew0440 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:03 pm

tweak_ wrote:What about us who dont plan on having PS3's for awhile? Its not fair to fuck the audiance that theyre not supplying to.

Welcome to Sony. Enjoy your stay.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jdl11 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 am

Now that firmware 3.0 is out we know for sure that you need a PS3. Why can'tyou just download them off a PC or something.
jdl11
New Listener
New Listener

Postby mikew0440 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:50 am

jdl11 wrote:Now that firmware 3.0 is out we know for sure that you need a PS3. Why can'tyou just download them off a PC or something.

Because Sony wants people to buy a PS3. :(
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby PkerUNO » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:41 pm

To be more specific:

Sony wants you to buy a PLAYSTATION 3(r) so that you can buy PlayStation(r) games on your PlayStation Portable(r) using their Memory Stick Pro Duo(r).
PkerUNO
PkerUNO
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby mikew0440 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:19 pm

PkerUNO wrote:To be more specific:

Sony wants you to buy a PLAYSTATION 3(r) so that you can buy PlayStation(r) games on your PlayStation Portable(r) using their Memory Stick Pro Duo(r).

God stupid proprietary bullshit.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Console Gaming Chatter