Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

EA Doesn't Speak English

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

EA Doesn't Speak English

Postby PkerUNO » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:05 am

So, last Thursday I went into Fukuoka to purchase the Platinum Collection version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted since I really enjoyed the demo. Now - since this is an EA title, I was already expecting it to be in Japanese. And hell, why shouldn't it? It's a Japanese release! Upon loading the game, all the movies were dubbed, all the menu text was in Japanese, and even the police radio was dubbed in Japanese.

So what's the problem?

The problem is that my Xbox 360 is set to English. All my other games (Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Ridge Racer 6) all included English support alongside Japanese. Kameo and PDZ are both by Rare, a British company, so you'd expect that. Project Gotham is similarly developed by a British company. Ridge Racer is a Japanese game, yet it has English support in the Japanese version too. So why on earth can EA, a US and very much English-speaking company not manage to fit in English language support in any of its Japanese games? Burnout Revenge similarly does not include English, and I've read that none of EA's sports titles do either.

Seriously, WTF?

So here's an idea: why not let users download extra languages for games via Xbox Live? I seriously doubt all the files necessary would take up more space than the demos currently up, and it would also allow developers to get games out sooner - since they can release the game with limited language support, then offer new languages as soon as they get them done later.

It just really makes me angry that I can't understand a game developed and published by an English-speaking company just because the developers were too lazy to include some text files!

(Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what on earth those phone calls and emails are supposed to say? :/)
PkerUNO
PkerUNO
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:59 am

I'd rather everything just ship on the disc, personally. There's no reason why "if you're a minority, you can opt to spend your time downloading a translation pack and installing it."

Screw that.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby PkerUNO » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:26 am

Maybe there wouldn't be enough space on the disk to include all files for all "minority" languages... but not including the game's original language for a non-RPG game is definitely a first for me. I mean, even the DVD releases of films have the original English version as an option here, and hearing Japanese policemen chattering about obviously American placenames and police codes is weird, I'd imagine there might be people here who'd want to hear the original voice work anyway. With subtitles, maybe? They don't take up a lot of space!
PkerUNO
PkerUNO
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:50 am

Text is trivial, VERY trivial, and it can be compressed extremely, and quickly, (and extremely quickly).

Images are indeed a different story, but I don't believe "we didn't have room" is a valid excuse, personally.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby mikew0440 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Fuck EA. Let's boycott.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby PkerUNO » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm up for that. :)
PkerUNO
PkerUNO