Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

The Bully controversy, closer to home

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

The Bully controversy, closer to home

Postby theafroguy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:26 pm

My younger brother has just bought Bully (or, as it's know here, Canis Canem Edit) and loves it. He also loves GTA for its "sandbox" gameplay, but isn't allowed to play it since he's only 13 - therefore, Bully is perfect for him.

However, Dad has just watched him play the game and complained that it was too violent. When asked for my opinion, I argued that the same sort of violence can be found in many films - Dad argued back that it's interactive, so it's different. When I stated that it wasn't a valid argument, he simply got angry.

As far as I can tell, Bully is full of violence, but you're not going round beating up defenceless kids (at least, you're not encouraged to). The 15 rating is certainly earnt, but I doubt that my brother will go round beating up his friends after playing this.

So I ask you guys: how can I persuade a mildly grumpy lawyer that there's nothing wrong with my younger brother playing a violent, 15-rated game?

NB: As musch as it looks like one, this isn't an extended metaphor for Jackie-poo :P

[Edit: Didn't like the title. Yes, I'm picky like that.]
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 pm

As much as it sucks that your dad isn't letting him play it i do have to give him mad props for doing what most of the idiot parents never did... That is step in and have a pro-active approach towards what his kids play...

Now idk what type of kid your younger brother is to judge if he is ready or not for the game but whether or not thats the case, your dad needs to trust your brother that he can separate and understand the difference between reality and the game... If either of them can't then im not sure what to say...

Now my real question is... If your brother is 13... How did he get the game?

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter