Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

PSP FW 3.0 out tomorrow!

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Will you update to 3.0?

Hell YEAH!
30%
NO EFFING WAY
10%
I love my homebrew
10%
No PSP
40%
Firm-what?
10%

Total votes : 10

PSP FW 3.0 out tomorrow!

Postby mikew0440 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:46 pm

Taken from PSPupdates.com

Rumors have been flying all over the internet over the highly anticipated (or for homebrewers, disliked) firmware 3.00 update. You saw some of the pictures from E3 and from other sources, and now it's (almost) here. The date for the 3.00 update will be released on October 19! As you can see, there are many new features and even a new layout! By the way, there is now a "Remote Play" option under the network connections tab, for wireless play between the PSP and PS3!

Adds PS1 emulator and PS3 interaction. I probably won't get this seeing as I have 1.5 but I'd like to see if anyone really cares about PS1 games on the go.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Re: PSP FW 3.0 out tomorrow!

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 pm

mikew0440 wrote:Adds PS1 emulator
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS ONE BIT!
Most people will be able to fit, what 6 or so games on their memory stick? And that's if you have a 2GB card... which most people don't.
I know they have those hard drives for the PSP that are what, 4GB? That's nice, but is that really how you store PSX games?

I'm SOOOOOOOO confused. More details would be sorely appreciated.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Amish_Gramish » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:06 am

The PlayStation games can be downloaded directly onto your PS3 (which may be playable on it) and you can send them directly to your PSP.

You can also just get a memory stick duo adapter or just download it onto your computer.

Those 4GB hard drives are having a lot of flaws, and the company that makes them, Datel, is aparently a crappy manufacturer, because my wireless dongle for the PSP never worked, and a lot of those 4 GB hard drives have a lot less than 4 GB, only a couple hundred MBs, if they do work.

You got that mostly right with the games, and with the memory sticks going down in price more and more, the 1 & 2GB ones are getting relatively cheap.

With games like Final Fantasy VII, that take up 3 CDs (if I remember correctly), you will need a 4 gig.

Finally, Metal Gear will be played on the PSP as it was meant to be.
Amish_Gramish
New Listener
New Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:28 am

That's freaking crazy though.
Forget expecting people to ISO their old games. I mean, I can do it, but I've been in this biz.

Not to mention, OMG GUYS COPYING UTILITIES ARE EVIL (didn't Sony just go buck wild over that point with a certain batch of audio CDs recently?).

What the f*ck ever.
Cool feature though :), might have to hijack my roommate's PSP for a little bit of Castlevania: SOTN or Tony Hawk 1/2 action!

P.S. Ape Escape will be unplayable on the PSP :(. One game that you will be forced to rebuy! :P (Assuming of course that you didn't already.)

[edit]
You mentioned FFVII, that got me thinking.
My friend owned a uhh, 'GameBlaster Pro', something like that. It was similar to a Game Shark, but soooooo much better / quicker.

It was one of the (many) devices that worked by putting the spring in between your drive close tray and the button.
My friend was pissed as hell at FFVII, because he would pass Disc 1 and get stuck.
I came over to his house and asked why he didn't have {x,y,z} cheats running, and he told me it was because he couldn't get to Disc 2 with them on. He basically alluded to 'cheat protection', and I laughed at him :).

I had him save his current game, then go back to the end of disc 1 (he had a 24 page [15 slot x 24 "virtual memory cards"] mega memory card, so he saved RELIGIOUSLY in RPGS).
He loaded up his Disc 1 endgame save, and got to the insert disc 2 screen. Tried everything, shoulder buttons, face buttons, start/select, combinations thereof, etc.

When he exhausted all his options, I walked up to his PSX, took the bottom of the spring out of the button, and then put it back in.
Voila, worked like a charm :-).

My point in this rant? I wonder how the PSP is going to handle "eject" and "insert" actions. Virtual CD tools like Daemon Tools have this built in (for this exact type of reason), but I don't know if Sony has the foresight to include such a feature.
Maybe 'switching ISOs' does this (eject/insert) automagically, with no prompt. We shall soon see I guess.

By the way, one last musing, you know what would be funny? If loading a new ISO restarted the vmachine emulator entirely. Final Fantasy and other Multi-disc gamers would be S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Games like MGS1 (I think?) wouldn't have a problem, because you save going into the next disc, and can switch it at your leisure. You can even start a brand new game on disc 2, and it just loads your save to verify.

But yeah, I was just pretty amused to think of how competent Sony actually is.

[edit2]
Welcome to the forums!
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby mikew0440 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:34 pm

I'm thinking that they will be downloaded from PC then to PSP. There's no way you HAVE to own a PS3 to get PSX games.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:21 am

I've been trying to think of games that would be incompatible with this emulator, because of the lack of L2/R2, L3, and the right analog stick in general.

I mentioned Ape Escape, and if memory serves, Metal Gear Solid (PSX) used L2/R2 for something important, though I seem to be unable to remember what exactly it was :P. I was going to say inventory, but I seem to remember that being on L1/R1... clarification would be appreciated.

Air Combat in expert mode is incompatible because L/R1 is rudder and L/R2 is roll.

I guess that's really all I can think of.
I'm sure there are many subtle nuances in games where L2/R2 flips a 'page' or a 'screen' or something along those lines.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52 am

My thing about the PSX emulation is, the PSP is lacking L2 and R2 buttons (and not to mention a right analog stick) unless they figured a way around that?

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby PkerUNO » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:49 am

Lies, it didn't come out today! :(
PkerUNO
PkerUNO
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 am

You're about, half an hour late DT :P
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:25 pm

VxJasonxV wrote:You're about, half an hour late DT :P

O RLY?

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby ssj100matt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:35 pm

What a load of Crizzap its the 21st and no update...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby mikew0440 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:38 pm

So it didn't come out today. Whatevs.
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eddy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:17 pm

mikew0440 wrote:So it didn't come out today. Whatevs.

Aren't you about 3 days late saying that?
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby mikew0440 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:21 pm

Eddy wrote:
mikew0440 wrote:So it didn't come out today. Whatevs.

Aren't you about 3 days late saying that?

Umm...Yeah..
mikew0440
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ssj100matt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am

well considering the fact that Sony just released Firmware update 2.82 today this "3.0" update will most likely be coming out launch day of the PS3... So that idiot at Pspupdates really messed up this one lol...

ssj100matt
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter