Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Hidden songs of Kazumi Totaka

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Hidden songs of Kazumi Totaka

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:41 am

I wanted to share this neat bit of trivia about one of the musicians at Nintendo:

Apparently there was one artist that's worked for Nintendo for quite a few years, goes by the name of Kazumi Totaka, whose most popular work would probably be the Animal Crossing/Dobutsu no Mori games on N64, GCN, and DS! (Since most people know of Totakeke in the original Japanese version.)

Anyway, there is a video that reveals a hidden sample of music that you can hear if you're in the right place... this phenomenon occurs in many of his older titles, such as Zelda: Link's Awakening (Both B&W and color versions), Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, as well as the aforementioned Animal Crossing/Dobutsu no Mori series, and many many others.

Here is a link to the video. Enjoy!

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby theafroguy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Wow, wierd. I'm tempted to listen to it, but I don't own any of the games he covered. :(
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:40 pm

You should track down the gameboy ones, especially SML2: 6 golden coins. There was also mention of another egg in the Japanese Zelda DX, but since it involves his name, it most likely won't work on the US version.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
OLRev 2nd MIX OUT NOW | OLR Wikia | OLRchive (Now with the entire 1st season!) | OLR: Best Hits Volume 1 (highlights from our first 30 episodes) out now! | OLR: Best Hits Vol. 2
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:40 pm

UPDATE! The song has been found in two more titles:

- Wario Land / Virtual Boy
- Pikmin 2 / GCN

Also, there's a new sample that was mentioned in the previous installment, from 'Link's Awakening DX' (Japanese):

Watch the new installment at this link

Additionally, there's been rumors of appearances in other games, such as Luigi's Mansion (supposedly he'd randomly whistle the infamous tune at certain points in the game) but there hasn't been any definitive leads.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby theafroguy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:39 pm

Virtual Boy? That's a thinko, surely?
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm

theafroguy wrote:Virtual Boy? That's a thinko, surely?

:?:

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby theafroguy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Oh, you were talking about Wario Land. I thought you meant Wario Land. Silly me.
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:24 pm

What's a thinko? He does mention SML3: Wario Land as one of the potential games that has the Totaka's song egg.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby theafroguy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:31 pm

Well, Wiktionary denies my defintion, but I thought that thinko means typing something and writing something else... for example, meaning to write "Game Boy" and accidentally writing "Virtual Boy" - except in this case it wasn't a thinko.

I feel exceptionally stupid now.. :?
theafroguy
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:35 pm

theafroguy wrote:Well, Wiktionary denies my defintion, but I thought that thinko means typing something and writing something else... for example, meaning to write "Game Boy" and accidentally writing "Virtual Boy" - except in this case it wasn't a thinko.

I feel exceptionally stupid now.. :?

Yeah, though that VB egg is probably going to be a pain in the ass to get, cause you do have to beat the game to see it... which means staring at that redness for hours on end.

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkSakura » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:22 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:Yeah, though that VB egg is probably going to be a pain in the ass to get, cause you do have to beat the game to see it... which means staring at that redness for hours on end.

DT

Dear god. No. Just no. I have a Virtual Boy, and it can stay hidden under layers of dust in the garage. No migraines for me, thanks.
DarkSakura
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:53 pm

DarkSakura wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:Yeah, though that VB egg is probably going to be a pain in the ass to get, cause you do have to beat the game to see it... which means staring at that redness for hours on end.

DT

Dear god. No. Just no. I have a Virtual Boy, and it can stay hidden under layers of dust in the garage. No migraines for me, thanks.

AMEN. I remember playing on a VB in-store display (Red Alarm, IIRC) and it was terrible, everything was all red and black, what a nightmare.

(The good news about the Totaka's song update is he went to all the trouble of getting to the end so you don't have to.)

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:33 pm

Update! apparently he did work on Wii Sports, so keep an ear out! (There's no video of it yet, but it was discovered that he worked on Wii Sports, so it's entirely possible the snippet is hidden in the game somewhere.)

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby sephiroth1215 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:11 am

DarkSakura wrote:

DT

I remember getting a VB as one of those things you get when you're very young and dumb with a little cash. I actually feel really bad for myself for buying all the useless crap that I did back then, especially the VB and 32X. :cry:
sephiroth1215
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Postby DarkTetsuya » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Part 3 is up!:

link

If I seem so fanboyish about this subject forgive me, it's just neat to see this easter egg in all these games after so many years.

Anyway, not much to this new ep:

- Luigi's Mansion / GCN
- Wii Sports / Wii

So, if anyone happens to hear the clip in Wii Sports, let me know! :D

DT
OLRmy since 6/23/2002!
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Return to Console Gaming Chatter