Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Test Drive Unlimited (for Xbox 360)

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Test Drive Unlimited (for Xbox 360)

Postby ctbx » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:22 pm

Am I the only one that is really looking forward to this game? I've been anticipating it ever since it was announced. I've never really been a big fan of racing games, (except for cart racing games, like Mario Kart) but this game has actually got me excited. Last week I saw that the demo was up on the Xbox Live Marketplace, so I downloaded it.

I have to say that the game looks amazing. Everything looks very realistic! I could see myself playing this game for hours doing nothing but driving around, exploring... and getting myself into debt due to tickets from the cops. This game is probably the closest I'll ever get to experiencing Hawaii. (Well, I'm sure I'll go there someday...)

The whole online aspect of the game seems very intriguing. I'm not actually on Xbox Live Gold yet, but thinking about driving around with thousands of other players just seems so cool. Also, you can create clubs and chat, trade cars, have competitions and tournaments, and the like. OLRmy anyone?! :P

I'll probably pick this game up once it is released.
ctbx
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Eddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:46 pm

I was kinda looking forward to this game as well.

Until I played the demo.

Honestly, the driving engine is garbage. Everything LOOKS great, but the cars don't control realisticlly at all. Spinouts happen more often than it should, no damage system, etc. etc.

This game is going to be bad. If you really want it. I'd still wait for some reviews and rent it when it come s out before you make a decision.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ctbx » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:07 pm

To tell you the truth, I could care less about how realistic the game controls. If I wanted the controls to be more realistic, I'd grab one of those steering wheel controllers and play a "Driving Simulator" like Gran Turismo. (And, for the record, I don't really like Gran Turismo.)

However, I have to agree with you on the fact that there is no damage system. When playing the demo, I ran my car into many things, and not even a scratch or dent appeared on the vehicle. That kind of pissed me off because I like to ruin nice vehicles in video games. :twisted:

But, yeah, depending on reviews, I may pick up Saint's Row instead. I should be able to destroy cars in that game. :lol:
ctbx
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Postby Eddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm all for non-realistic control in Racing games if it's done correctly. Burnout Revenge for example, uses a very arcadey driving engine. But, it is just at the right amount that it ends up being fun. As well, in games like GTA, Dead Rising and Saints Row, the cars don't handle that well either, but the rest of the game is so much for, that you are willing to forgive those little faults.

But TDU is a game about driving. It has no other "fun" material to fall back on if the driving sucks. Take the Shelby from the first game out for a spin and try to turn a tight corner. All it manages to do is spin out and crash, losing me time in the race. That is not fun at all.

But then again, they might pull through and make the final version much tighter than in the two demos. I'd still wait for some reviews though before dropping your money on it. $39.99 sounds great, but a deal is only a deal if you actually want the thing that's a deal.

BTW, Saint's Row is very fun. It has the things that you wished that were in GTA, and that's all I ask for.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby Eddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm all for non-realistic control in Racing games if it's done correctly. Burnout Revenge for example, uses a very arcadey driving engine. But, it is just at the right amount that it ends up being fun. As well, in games like GTA, Dead Rising and Saints Row, the cars don't handle that well either, but the rest of the game is so much for, that you are willing to forgive those little faults.

But TDU is a game about driving. It has no other "fun" material to fall back on if the driving sucks. Take the Shelby from the first game out for a spin and try to turn a tight corner. All it manages to do is spin out and crash, losing me time in the race. That is not fun at all.

But then again, they might pull through and make the final version much tighter than in the two demos. I'd still wait for some reviews though before dropping your money on it. $39.99 sounds great, but a deal is only a deal if you actually want the thing that's a deal.

BTW, Saint's Row is very fun. It has the things that you wished that were in GTA, and that's all I ask for.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby ctbx » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Well, it all comes down to personal preference. I, personally, don't believe that the driving in TDU "sucks". The controls seem fine to me.

As stated in my above post, one of the main attractions to this game is the fact that you can explore a realistic representation of the island of Oahu, with over 1,000 miles of roads and highways. One of the things I love doing in any game is exploring, and that is one of the major things you can do in this game. And, really, that is what I like most about games such as Grand Theft Auto. I loved San Andreas because there were many more places to explore than in previous installments.

But, really, it all comes down to one thing. Ever since I was young, I always wanted a game where you can just drive. Just drive around for no reason, if you wanted to. This game delivers exactly that. And, with the massive area to explore, this game is very appealing to me, not to mention the game's price.

Anyways, I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying the game, or anything like that. I respect your opinion, Eddy, and I thank you for your input on this subject. :D
ctbx
Avid Listener
Avid Listener

Return to Console Gaming Chatter