Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

Games for kids

Come chat about the console games that you are playing!

Games for kids

Postby drnoir » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:18 pm

Well, after hearing Dark Sakura rant endlessly about games and violence and kids and parenting, and being a parent of two (both male, 4 and 2 years old) myself, how bout we put together a list of kid friendly games so we can turn them... er... introduce them to the world of videogames.

Some of the classics seem to be ideal:
Pacman
Galaga - they're not gonna start shooting down aliens anytime soon
Paper boy - although I don't know if hitting dogs and breaking things with newspapers is PC these days.

Any others...?

Also, any toughts on games from kid movies like the incredibles, Finding Nemo, Madagascar, etc.?
But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive.
William Sheakespeare
drnoir
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Eddy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:57 pm

Honestly, I find that kids get really bored of the old-school stuff we used to love. The graphics aren't what they like, (Cartoon/Comics style). The gameplay isn't fun for them, (Very repetitive). And the difficulty of games like Pac-man most definately isn't for kids.

Some obvious choices would be:

Mario games
Some puzzle games, like Zoo Keeper/Zuma/Bejeweled or something
Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie (The game). All other Spongebob games are garbage.
Cars (All except DS and GBA)
Super Monkey Ball

For a lttle older kids around 8 or so:
Ape Escape
Megaman games
Zelda
Most Kart Racing games
Pokemon
Sonic

For kids around 12 or so:

Sims 1/2 (Watch out for custom content they download though)
Animal Crossing
LEGO Star Wars
Tony Hawk (Does have blood though)
Advanced Wars
Star Fox
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby skie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:07 am

i swear i'm not on their payroll, but gametap has a lot of educational games available on the service as well as ol' school games... it's something i would get for my kid especially when you can restrict certian games on there that you don't want them playing. unfortunatley, i don't think it's available outside the US.

As far as other kid-friendly games go, lets go with one of my favorite generes even as an adult... puzzle games! Meteos, Lumines, Super Puzzle Fighter, Intelligent Qube, Zuma, Tetris, etc. etc. etc... can't go wrong with the puzzle games.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DJPooEater » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:33 am

Prey..... yeah kids should definatly play Prey

:P
DJPooEater
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:03 am

At that young I'd probably just stick with SMB till they're a little older and ready for slightly more difficult stuff. :P (Not to say that SMB's easy, but its not so impossibly hard they'll never figure it out.)

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Games they're playing now

Postby drnoir » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:40 am

Well, the youngest isn't much interested in games yet. The eldest is reallyb into Pacman and really enjoys playing both of the XBox Incredibles! games. I'm getting him Cars next week, see if I can lure him into racing games that way.

I also find that he's been more interested in learning english (it`s not our native language) since he's had to listen and respond to in-game instructions.
But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive.
William Sheakespeare
drnoir
New Listener
New Listener

Postby Eddy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

If he has the attention span for it, then try giving him a RPG to play. Hell, English isn't my first language either, but when I first came to Canada 6 years ago, all I did was watch Disney movies and play RPGs. Sure I didn't understand most of it at first, but I started to look up the words I didn't understand; now, I am a straight-A student, and always in the tope 3 of our grade in English marks.

So preferablly, getting a action RPG with full or partial voice acting would be my choice if I wanted to learn English with games. Not sure if Kingdom Hearts has voice acting, but if it does, definately try that. Then as time progresses, expose them to games like Final Fantasy etc.

skie, for the sheer number of times you talk about GameTap, you should be on their payroll.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Eddy wrote:So preferablly, getting a action RPG with full or partial voice acting would be my choice if I wanted to learn English with games. Not sure if Kingdom Hearts has voice acting, but if it does, definately try that. Then as time progresses, expose them to games like Final Fantasy etc.

It's full of voice acting, though I don't know how hard it'd be for someone that young. :P

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Eddy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:29 am

Well, I managed to play through Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star 1 without a proper understanding of English, I think it'll be fine.

The Megaman Battle Network Series are also a solid choice for RPGs on a handheld. The dialogue is pretty simple, so your kid should be able to grasp it no problem. Though I do hate the fact that they went the Pokemon route and put out two versions.
Eddy
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby krispykreme » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:15 pm

Eddy wrote:Well, I managed to play through Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star 1 without a proper understanding of English, I think it'll be fine.

The Megaman Battle Network Series are also a solid choice for RPGs on a handheld. The dialogue is pretty simple, so your kid should be able to grasp it no problem. Though I do hate the fact that they went the Pokemon route and put out two versions.
I finished Chrono Trigger in the 3rd grade.
krispykreme
OLR Whore
OLR Whore

Return to Console Gaming Chatter