Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

R2Beat is Public!

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

R2Beat is Public!

Postby Arimasen » Wed May 17, 2006 10:30 am

I had signed up for an account on www.R2Beat.jp and I was waiting for the game to get out of closed beta so I could play it. 5/17 came and the beta ended, so I downloaded the game and played it. For those asking "WTF is R2Beat", its a new japanese MMO rhythm game by GameChu. Instead of notes you have to hit, it is obsticales on a racetrack you have to either avoid or hit based on what it is. And yes you avoid/hit these on the beat of the music. Some obsticles include hitting up to avoid a speedbump-looking obsticle, hitting up and left to grind a pole on the left right (up-right on the right side), etc. The tutorial covers all the basics you need to know. Also after comboing for a while you build up a "boost bar" as I call it and once it's full, you hit Left CTRL and you speed up (and so does the music) for a short amount of time (about 10 seconds). Hitting an obsticle will stop the music until you get back up. On my website DJMAXUS, I hade a new forum for R2Beat players, located at http://djmaxus.finalwaronline.net/index ... owforum=20 , and we are going to try to answer as many questions as we can there, since this game is about 100% japanese. Also if Orange Lounge Radio could talk about this game on it's next show, perhaps we can get more players to play! Just mention that so far the only discussion for american users is currently on DJMAXUS (albiet I just made the R2Beat forum today, lol)
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Wed May 17, 2006 12:59 pm

OHHH I think this is the same thing I saw at E3 it looked hella fun, I'll download it and check it out for a future show.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Wed May 17, 2006 2:48 pm

arg, well I tried downloading and installing, but I went to register and it wasn't clear what I was doing wrong because it wouldn't let me continue, so I gave up and removed it. :(

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Arimasen » Wed May 17, 2006 11:53 pm

DarkTetsuya wrote:arg, well I tried downloading and installing, but I went to register and it wasn't clear what I was doing wrong because it wouldn't let me continue, so I gave up and removed it. :(

DT

For the "Real Name" portion of signing up, make you you enter just random japanese characters into the 2 boxes (the 4th part down), unless you have a japanese name AND can type it. Should work fine after, since I told the same to everyone else on DJMAXUS and they can all play.

skie wrote:OHHH I think this is the same thing I saw at E3 it looked hella fun, I'll download it and check it out for a future show.

I have some translation pictures on the forum link I gave on the first post that I jsut added yesterday. Should help you out.
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkTetsuya » Thu May 18, 2006 12:40 am

Ok well I'll redownload it again later and see if it works... I had no idea what I was doing wrong so I gave up...

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby LOKI » Thu May 18, 2006 6:36 am

I played this at E3.
LOKI
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheAmplidude » Thu May 18, 2006 7:31 am

The last time you made a thread, it got me to play DJMAX which I am currently playing/enjoying.

I'll definately download this and give it a try! :D

EDIT-

God, I suck at this game :lol:
TheAmplidude
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Arimasen » Thu May 18, 2006 6:29 pm

LOKI wrote:I played this at E3.

Oh wow it was at E3? That's spiffy.

BTW, I just got to Level 10, in which you can access a new difficulty (Called the Blue Moon difficulty) of songs ranging from 4.0 difficulty to 6.5 (the Yellow Star difficulty has 2.0 to 3.5 difficulty). You need to pass the level 10 mission to play the Moon difficulty songs however. At Level 16, you can access the Red Sun difficulty (hardest difficulty, 7.0 to 8.0 difficulty), however I've seen no one higher than my current level right now (well I saw one level 11 player). Leveling after level 10 becomes harder because currently no one is playing the Moon difficulty songs online, all the Moon players are n00bs and still in Star rooms... I'm pissed.
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Reenee » Thu May 18, 2006 7:09 pm

t(-_-t)

Where's the Mac love!?
Reenee
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu May 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Stuck with the sensible people :P.
VxJasonxV
Website Staff
Website Staff

Postby Arimasen » Fri May 19, 2006 11:13 pm

I recorded a video of me played a semi-easy song from R2Beat just to give anyone who hasn't played this game a taste of how you play it. I was playing in Item Team mode, where you are 3v3 teams combating to see which team reaches the end first (in this case, my team). Usage of items (the "?" things you see in the level) allow you to attack the team with powerups that make it harder for them to play (turtle slow speed, hidden notes, bombs, etc.) or items let let you block enemy attacks.

Anyways, the video is here:
http://djmaxus.bemanistyle.com/R2BeatMovie.wmv
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Mon May 29, 2006 11:44 pm

arimasen, be sure to listen to bobby's show this week, he interviewed some of the folks behind this game at E3. allgames.com/podcast

I do still want to check this game out as soon as I can figure out the site LOL.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby TheAmplidude » Tue May 30, 2006 4:29 am

Yeah, this game and DJMax made me want to punch myself while trying to get into them.. :lol:
TheAmplidude
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Arimasen » Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 pm

skie wrote:arimasen, be sure to listen to bobby's show this week, he interviewed some of the folks behind this game at E3. allgames.com/podcast

I do still want to check this game out as soon as I can figure out the site LOL.

That comes on right before OLR right?

And PLEASE SKIE, view the R2Beat forum on my DJMAXUS board, it has everything you need to make an account and play.
Arimasen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby skie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:04 pm

Alright Arimasen, I finally signed up for the thing... figured out how to get through the first mission which was more of a tutorial... but it won't let me access any other missions. So I looked online, there was hardly anyone playing online, i couldn't join any of the games (I think they were all in progress). I'll try again later.

So far, I like the concept. I'm very interested to try it online although I'm sure everyone else on there has more practice than I lol.
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Next

Return to Bemani Discussion