Photos from the OLRmy - Email a photo to pics@orangeloungeradio.com

Orange Lounge Radio

Dedicated to video games & the gamer lifestyle!

LISTEN TO OLR

Listen to Orange Lounge Radio Live
Sunday nights at
6PM PST / 9PM EST.
Join us for a live show!

Launch the OLR Player
Launch the OLR Player

Listen at the VOG Network
Listen at the VOG Network

Click Here to subscribe to our podcast in iTunes!

Grab Our Podcast Feed
Grab Our Podcast Feed

OLRMY

Become part of the OLRmy by joining our forums!

FRIENDS OF OLR

hordehouse
Bobby Blackwolf
Under Sedation LIVE
Geek Life

DDR for XMAS

Hey, we haven't forgotten our roots as a Music Video Game station. Talk about DDR/IIDX and all that note smashing here.

DDR for XMAS

Postby itchyd » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:01 am

I'm planning to get some type of DDR for my (8 year old) daughter for Christmas. I feel like she's going to love it but I don't want to spend tons of money in case she is not interested. What version of the game should I buy for what console (xbox, ps2, gcn?) What controller(s) should I buy? We definitely need 2 controllers so her little friends can play with her. I was considering 1 tx1000 from Lik-Sang and 1 regular dance mat but I know nothing about this... I weigh 200lbs and will definitely be playing a few times at least, I don't want to smash the mat on Christmas day. Any helpful advice apprecaited.
itchyd
New Listener
New Listener

Postby skie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:43 pm

You could actually DDR for very cheap to see if she likes it... some of the older DDR versions for PS1 and probably even MAX would cost you 19.99, maybe even less used... a cheap dance mat will also run you about 20 dollars. Since you just want to pick something up for recreational use and not a whole lot of advanced song playing, i honestly wouldn't worry about the pad toooo much-- if you decide you like it you can "upgrade" later, 20 dollars isn't a bad investment to start.

Also, The recently released DDR Extreme 2 bundle (game + pad) runs at 59.99 and is a great deal, really-- as the official Konami pads are pretty solid, for a soft pad :)
skie
On-Air Talent
On-Air Talent

Postby DarkTetsuya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Only thing about EX2 though is it only starts with 25 or so songs, unlocking em is much harder and more time consuming this time around... but EX1 can be unlocked in a few weeks of playtime. (well except memories of course, but that's just one song)

My only gripe about EX1 really is the songwheel interface.

but if she really doesn't mind only having 25 songs, either EX2 or Mario Mix will fit the bill.

DT
DarkTetsuya
Website Staff
Website Staff

Beginner Mode

Postby robbway » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:39 am

The only games in DDR that have a "Beginner Mode," which is for the earliest of beginners, are DDR Extreme 1 and 2 (PS2), Mario DDR (Gamecube) and I believe both Ultramixes (XBOX). Mario DDR takes you from the earliest levels up thru hard and probably has the best learning curve. Adventure mode will take you thru the songs and features gradually, but is the worst buy because there are no other DDRs for the Cube.

EDIT (4:35pm):

Gamecube: 1 DDR game
PS2: 4 games (plus 3 PSone games) <--Assumes N. American consoles
XBOX: 3 games (once Ultramix 3 is out)

It should be mentioned that PS2 also has a few knock-off titles that can use the dance pad: American Idol, Britney's Dance Beat, In The Groove, Jungle Book Jungle n Rhythm.

I think the best buy for the money is any game/pad bundle you can find for PS2.
robbway
Radio Junkie
Radio Junkie

Postby itchyd » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:39 am

Thanks for the advice I bought 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 31-5827034 as well as DDR EX. If we manage to break these we'll get 2 of the metal pads.
itchyd
New Listener
New Listener

Re: Beginner Mode

Postby Sakurina » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:25 pm

robbway wrote:The only games in DDR that have a "Beginner Mode," which is for the earliest of beginners, are DDR Extreme 1 and 2 (PS2), Mario DDR (Gamecube) and I believe both Ultramixes (XBOX).

Max2 also has Beginner's Mode. :P
Sakurina
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Bemani Discussion